Replacing Low Beam Headlight

lexuseng

I need to replace the low beam headlight on a 2001 IS. Looked in the manual, uses D2R but the manual has a caution warning to take it to the dealer for replacement. No way. But what is the issue with HID? Is it any different than replacing a standard halogen? Anyone have any instructions? Is it just disconnect battery and replace bulb?

It's easy. Just turn the gray plastic cover a little and it will pop off. Then remove the silver plug (with the braided cable attached) from the bulb. Then pop the bulb holder wires out and change the bulb.

That's what I would have done if I didn't look at the manual. So why the warning in the manual? Other Toyota owners manuals show how to replace them. They must think Lexus owner's don't work on their own cars.

It's easy. Just turn the gray plastic cover a little and it will pop off. Then remove the silver plug (with the braided cable attached) from the bulb. Then pop the bulb holder wires out and change the bulb.

That's what I would have done if I didn't look at the manual. So why the warning in the manual? Other Toyota owners manuals show how to replace them. They must think Lexus owner's don't work on their own cars.

They say the same thing for the 2nd gen IS but we've been doing our own HID conversions without much trouble. I changed the bulbs in my IS300 a few times playing with different color temps. It wasn't that hard. Maybe they think we're rich and incompetent. :D :D

They say the same thing for the 2nd gen IS but we've been doing our own HID conversions without much trouble. I changed the bulbs in my IS300 a few times playing with different color temps. It wasn't that hard. Maybe they think we're rich and incompetent. :D :D

Well if I read a little more carefully, the caution applied to the headlight but they still recommended taking the car to the dealer to replace any of the bulbs. I guess there are some who will take their car to the dealer to get the tail light replaced (but probably not on this forum).

I searched the web and found replacement D2R for as little as $40 each (5000K) but when I went to check out, I noticed it wasn't a secure website so I backed out. Any recommendations?

• 5 weeks later...
The last ones I bought were the Philips 5000K from a guy on ebay.

I bought 2 for $50 from a guy on Ebay too. I could have paid $100 a piece. I got the 5000K, not a hint of blue so maybe next time I would go with the next higher range. Only thing that bothered me was that the package came directly from China. Some no name brand. I know the products mostly come from China but when I buy it from a guy from New York I would think it would come from there. I guess it's the way of Ebay more and more.

To replace the one on the left is a !Removed!! Need double jointed fingers!

the main reason the warning is there is due to the fact that they are hid. they use an immense amount of electricity and if you get shocked, you can die from the jolt. you are supposed to power down the vehicle for at lease 15 minutes prior to doing any electrical work. they stand on a rubber mat and use robber fender covers to prevent any grounding.

• 1 month later...

I was thinkin of changin da all da front lights on my es300 92 as well.

shud i b followin da same recommendation?

I was thinkin of changin da all da front lights on my es300 92 as well.

shud i b followin da same recommendation?

I dunno the ES headlight assembly but all you need to do is find how to access the bulbs from behind.

all you guys change are the bulbs? thats odd lol i got a whole kit that comes with like the power box or w/e is called is there a difference besides the price?

The IS 300 already has HID so it should only need bulbs unless something in the HID system has gone bad.

• 3 months later...

hi im from the uk and i have searched the uk forum but havent been succesful in my search.

ive replaced the standard hid bulbs in my is200 with a pair of 8000k bulbs off ebay.

the problem is that the drivers light seems to be much higher than the passengers side.

i dont know what has happened but i need to fix it because its blinding all the other drivers.

has anyone had this problem before and does anyone know how to fix.

any help much appreciated

Did you make sure the bulb is seated properly? during the day, take a close look at the bulb and you will see there are 2 small tabs that fit in the notches before you put the spring clip back on.