Transmisson Problem At Startup

Hi All,

I have 1998 ES300. My wife was driving a car and recently bumped someone from rear as a result the front bumper and radiator was replaced. After couple of weeks I have discovered that when I start the car for the first time and put it in drive, the transmission doesn't shift. I have to put the car in lower gear and then in drive again and everything seems to be fine. I was searching the forum regarding the transmission issues and read that it could be due to partial blockage in the radiator. I also noticed that when it has problem in shifting to drive, the shifting in reverse causes a loud thump.

If radiator has anything to do with it, how do I convince the shop that they need to look at the radiator again. They put the lexus OEM radiator.

Whatelse could be the cause to transmission not shifting. Is my transmission dying? the car has 116K miles and never gave me any problem. I changed the transmission fluid 5k miles ago.

Please help!

Thanks for the reply. I changed the fluid after the radiator change and I double checked it yesterday and it is nice and pink and to the right level.

Any other inputs?

I would normally say that your shift linkage is malajusted...

BUt there is no "shift linkage" anymore the shifter detents are malajusted or to much backlash/slop with the switch contacts that tell the ECU which gear you wish to be in. Something struck/hit the gearshift at the time of the accident?

I'd be willing to bet that there is something wrong with the radiator installation.

I'm just saying...

rosie

OMG.. . are people just writing their ideas, suggestions, comments or opinions for the heck of it? or are they helping people with the right answers???

What in the world a radiator installation has to do with a poor shifting transmission? the transmission cooling lines are attached to the radiator. that's is it!!! nothing else. The radiator and the fans are a few inches away from the engine and transmission, so how can an incorrect radiator installation relate to a poor shifting transmission?

Ok. .let's take a look at the problem differently..

1. Is the fluid change often or on a regular basis?

2. The gearshift can be a problem if the impact of the collision is very forceful and hit the correct spot of the car.

You can probably try to go to a shop and pay for a tranny inspection. If they believe the tranny problem is related to the collision, you can try to ask insurance for money to repair it.