Rx 330- 2004 –transmission Lag!

Hi all-

Please read the message below from RX members who have exactly the same as mine about the transmission shift:

“It has a nagging delay when accelerating from near stop“

“a real dog. Transmission problems make the drive jerky. Have been told by repair people they have other similar compalints about transmission problem. We were told car will "adjust to our driving style." What??? “

“I OWN A 2004 LEXUS RX330. SINCE I HAVE OWNED IT, THERE HAS BEEN A POWER "FADE" WHEN I MAKE SUDDEN SPEED CHANGES USUALLY FROM A SLOW DOWN

TO QUICK ACCELERATION--SAY A LANE CHANGE TO AVOID SLOWER TRAFFIC. THERE IS APPROXIMATELY 2 OR 3 SECONDS WHEN THERE IS NO RESPONSE FROM

PRESSING THE ACCELERATOR. IT FEELS LIKE ALL POWER FALLS AWAY. I AM LEFT LIKE A SITTING DUCK UNTIL THE VEHICLE DECIDES WHAT TO DO WITH MY

COMMAND. IF I AM CROSSING A MEDIAN, I MUST ALLOW FOR THIS DELAY. HOWEVER, IF I HAVE TO CHANGE LANES TO AVOID ANOTHER VEHICLE MAKING AN

UNSIGNALED TURN OR SUDDEN STOP, I AM PUTTING MYSELF AND OTHERS IN DANGER BECAUSE I CANNOT COUNT ON HAVING THE POWER TO AVOID THE

VEHICLE IN FRONT OF ME BY CHANGING LANES AND THEN I RISK AN INCIDENT IN TRYING TO MATCH THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE THAT IS NOW BEHIND ME. I

HAVE ADDRESSED THIS WITH LEXUS ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS INCLUDING ONE TRIP WHERE I DEMANDED THAT THE MASTER MECHANIC RIDE WITH ME. HE

EXPLAINED THAT LEXUS IS AWARE AND THAT IT IS A COMPUTER PROBLEM FOR WHICH THERE IS NO PATCH AVAILABLE. AS OF TODAY, THERE IS STILL NO

CURE. THE LAST UPDATE MY VEHICLE RECEIVED WAS IN SEPT 2006.”

I came to Lexus dealer to complain about this 3 time already. They sent the tech along with me for test drive….the answers is normal.. normal…and they keep saying normal :cries: that I really disappointed about it. The other option they give me that they will try to set up the appointment for me to meet the Lexus rep,or the lexus engineer who come to the dealer every month.

1/What benefit I can get from Lexus Rep or engineer?

2/Do they have a way to fix?

3/Is Lexus working on the new update software? Or they ignore the problem (as I know there is a small % of RX 330-04 has this problem)

I’m very happy with my RX now. To me, everything is almost perfect except for transmission. I want to keep the car for a long term if I can get out of the LAG.

Thank you everyone in advance for your comment!!!

Yes, I noticed the transmission lag.......I don't drive my wifes RX much, but she is a lead foot.......I let the transmission shift normal and it is a dog...the dealer tells me the transmission adjust to our driving? I know a little bit about tranmission logic and there is a circuit board for this but its lousy way to design this.......it is not what I see on my other eletronic transmissions.

Yes, I noticed the transmission lag.......I don't drive my wifes RX much, but she is a lead foot.......I let the transmission shift normal and it is a dog...the dealer tells me the transmission adjust to our driving? I know a little bit about tranmission logic and there is a circuit board for this but its lousy way to design this.......it is not what I see on my other eletronic transmissions.

What you are seeing is consistent with what we've been reporting here for years. We don't like it either, and I hope it never gets one of us killed, but Lexus doesn't seem all that interested in fixing it, from what I've seen.

The only workaround I have seen is to manually downshift when I need to accelerate quickly.

Require your dealership to perform their latest firmware upgrade to your Electronic Control Module. For some RX330 drivers, the firmware upgrade does indeed improve transmission shift quality somewhat. I had it done to my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD within two weeks after purchasing the vehicle in late January, and the transmission shift quality did improve somewhat. It does shift much better than her previous 2000 RX300 AWD dog-of-an-SUV did. But it still doesn't shift as well as my 1999 Ram pick-up. Sad, but true....

Require your dealership to perform their latest firmware upgrade to your Electronic Control Module. For some RX330 drivers, the firmware upgrade does indeed improve transmission shift quality somewhat. I had it done to my wife's 2004 RX330 AWD within two weeks after purchasing the vehicle in late January, and the transmission shift quality did improve somewhat. It does shift much better than her previous 2000 RX300 AWD dog-of-an-SUV did. But it still doesn't shift as well as my 1999 Ram pick-up. Sad, but true....

I did mention the upgrade to 2 difference dealers that they both say the same: ECM firmware upgrade is only apply to high speed(over 20mph). My problem with low speed, the LAG only appear between (5-8mph). When you do upgrade if the shift is not improved you can never go back...may be its worse.

My RX has shift perfect from 10mph up. The car run very smooth in highway speed too.

I know a lot of owners have the transmission lag in this forum and hesitate . I', curious how do you get out of it? Again, i just want to make sure these TSB below for both problem. I just did set up an appointment with other lexus dealer to take a look.

Component Description:

48. POWER TRAIN Bulletin Number: TC00503

Bulletin Date: AUG 2003

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus RX 330

Summary:

ECM CALIBRATION SHIFTING ENHANCEMENT. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10003558 )

Component Description:

44. POWER TRAIN Bulletin Number: 00503

Bulletin Date: AUG 2003

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus RX 330

Summary:

TO IMPROVE THE TRANSMISSION SHIFT FEELING DURING SPECIFIC OPERATING MODES, THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) CALIBRATION HAS BEEN REVISED. ORIGINAL WAS NOT RECEIVED. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10016159 )

I bought my 330 after those two firmware upgrades, though I did make sure they were installed. I still ain't happy, hence my pessimism.

May i ask waht is your problem? hesitate or lag? I'm still really not sure the firmware upgrade will apply for my case. I talked by the phone with service advicer this evening. He asks me a lot of question regarding this problem that i hope i will convince them to do something to get out of this.

If i could not find the way out.....so it's time to say good bye "Lexus RX" i'm so tired of this problem. I drive to work about 4 miles per day(all local drive with many traffic jam and a lot of stop sign.)

I'll keep you all the update after this wed.

:rolleyes:

Finally, I got the firmware upgrade (TSB: TC003-05) from the dealer after I had argued with them and gave out a lot of reason regarding safety. At first the service consultant did not believe the upgrade would help. He shows me the computer screen and I know the upgrade only apply between 10 to 20mph, my RX get the lag exactly between 5-8mph. I kept asking them to do it (sometime we need to raise our voice guys) because I want to take a chance.

Now, I can notice my babyX shift just fine its hold the high gear better, smoothly. The LAG is still but I can feel it about 40% of improvement because I take the same route, same stop sign, and same foot on pedal (drive style)… I could tell. The transmission shift a little bit weir now but it’s a good weir. I sometime feel the thud when downshift but that’s not bothering me like the lag.

I look on the paper work with the note: The shift will take time to improve and use the PREMIUM GAS ONLY.

My question is:

Why will it take time to improve? I believe the electronic thing will affect right away…nothing will change until you do something?

Is my car will change the way it shifts in the future? It will come back like before the upgrade. I’m so confused.

Thanks a lot everyone for the post in the past I also look forward for the new opinion from you all.

We've already told you that the firmware upgrade improves shift quality but does not perfect it.

You should have figured out by now that these RX transmissions combined with drive-by-wire throttle systems are nowhere near world-class in shift quality and comfort. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

If you must have silky smoothness in your transmission shifts throughout the vehicle's entire range, then dump your RX and get a V8-powered Grand Cherokee. You'll love the power and shift performance but you may not be too thrilled with the increased fuel consumption....

We've already told you that the firmware upgrade improves shift quality but does not perfect it.

You should have figured out by now that these RX transmissions combined with drive-by-wire throttle systems are nowhere near world-class in shift quality and comfort. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

If you must have silky smoothness in your transmission shifts throughout the vehicle's entire range, then dump your RX and get a V8-powered Grand Cherokee. You'll love the power and shift performance but you may not be too thrilled with the increased fuel consumption....

That's right, i did not expect too much from the upgrade i just hope it will better. Anyway i'm happy now with the shift and will adjust my drive style everyday, trying avoid the lag as much as i can.

Thanks again

Lexus also say that they only can do the upgrade twice under warranty. I bought this car as used so the previous owner already did one at 21K and now i got another one at 38K.

If the problem come back so i have to pay by myself???? i hope the tranmission shift the same as now.

Please give me an advice again!