Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

Oh really??? will I need to be sending instructions on how to install a turbo home with you?:geek:

what is it extensive or something???? lol ...jk....no i'll have that done... i had a turbo on my last car, i gotta place that'll do it... i wouldn't even try it...i've seen how many boxes those kits come in.... lol ;) but that's a good ways in the future... i'd like to pay the car off before dishing out the moolah for a turbo...

I have a rule. The rule is as follows:

Never finance toys.

When the ride becomes a toy, you better have the title in hand. (or atleast safely tucked away in a drawer.)

I think we have all been there at one time or another. Anyway, that's partly how I can afford doing the work on my car that I'm doing. No car payments. Even the wifes car is paid off. ( 2002 Volvo S40.)

Well, I have some good news and some not so good news. First is that I got confirmations today.My turbo is on the way. Also the rest of the parts should be streaming in soon after. ( I should have just got the kit , but I saved a few hundred bucks by getting it this way instead.)

The not so good news is that I was looking at the calendar, and the only week and weekend I had to dedicate working on it would have been the week of the 24th thru the 30th. Well, it just so happens that the garage I was gonna use for it will be taken on another project. ( The garage with a Dyno.) No Dyno, no tuno..........Sucks the big one... So now I may have to wait till the 2nd or third week in October to do the install and tune it. It's his dyno, so I don't have alot of say. Anyone else is gonna charge me by the hour, and be mega hassles. So, I get to closely study my new turbo for a few weeks. I'll hold it, spin the blade with my finger and imagine the SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the feel of it's pull. Then I'll imagine the look on the other guys face as I'm suddenly pulling away from their "I think I gotta fast ride" mobile, and their sudden realization that they have no hope in this futile effort. BAHhahahahahahah.......1092.gif

But it looks like until then, I will have this tiny turbo, ornamenting my desk, torchering me every day.1087.gif

So, I'm gonna start looking into the exhaust system and get that going for now. I think I'm gonna get the Tenabe Medallion or the Apexi Sport. Not really sure yet. Also I have been looking at body kits. I think I found the one I want. I will be making the phone calls for that later this week. So, there is still much work to be done. I will have to be patient. The end result will be worth it. I have found in building cars, it's better to be patient and select the right parts and do the job right or afterwards it will only cost you more money and time and headaches. sterb015.gif

1274.gif1274.gif1274.gifTurbo is here.071.gif

...and where's the peekture!?

Well, actually my pop called and said it arrived at the shop today.I don't physically have it in my hands yet. (Jeesh, what a tough crowd!!!!) As soon as I get it home, I will post pictures of it for you.

But, check out the next post to see what I've been up to.......teu42.gif

Well, as I said in one of my previous posts, I was researching and putting together a few things with the extra time I have. So, I have ordered these and everything is either already here or on it's way:

I have decided and ordered today:

The Tanabe Madallion Hyper Race exhaust system.

The PLX Wideband M-300 system monitor

Stewart Warner boost gauge

Walbro 255 Fuel pump

Then next I'm going to add a transmission cooler, and upgrade the torque converter.

Oh boy,,,,,things are getting exciting now!!!!

And just for the record, I will have all this done within the next 45 days. I put that up here so everyone watching has to hold me to it.!!!! I'm counting on you. But tuning is exempt from that time table. I mean, I will be tuning it, it just may not be completely dialed in by then. --------------And yes, there will be plenty of pics. This is going to be one-bad-boy-ride!!!!! Everyone has to help me out and hope for good dyno numbers when we get to the end ok? We are hoping for 325+rwhp, but not more than 380 rwhp.

If I decide to go more than 400+rwhp, then I have to upgrade the tranny, and the rest of the drive train also. And, I promised myself not again. Everytime i start modding a car, I go wayyyyy toooo far and it becomes a track ready racer with no streetability. I just want a car that is fast enouph stomp some 350Z's, mustangs, and even the new IS 350's. ( Oh won't that be a surprise?) And then be able to go home quietly. teu38.gif

Well, I would say about half the stuff has come in. And none of the stuff I just ordered has come in yet. I would think that by the end of this week or the beginning of next week I should have it all in.( Christmas time in Smooth's garage!!) fest22.gif

hey there bartkat, what a coincidence! I was just over at another thread looking into some power mod applications. You posted a web link to a Lexus performance shop that puts turbo and supercharger packages together. You posted the link like a year ago. Link still works for the info!! :D So after looking into it I have decided to go Forced induction after all.

Yeah, I've searched the web up and down to find out all the performance gains and pros and cons of each. There are some interesting combinations out there, but for the money, sure seems like alot and a crapton of work for so little. So, rather thatn waste my time and my money, I just tonight decided that I will return the Typhoon by K&N. I'll skip doing the ICU Programmers or a piggyback power chip of some kind, and go with the Raptor V supercharger.

My IS is an everyday driver. So I don't want to mod it to race only settings. I figure if I can get between 300-350 hp, I'll be happy. I was going to look into headers and exhaust, but I really like the quiet of stock, so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do there. Also I want to put anti sway bars on to help stablize things. Maybe upgrade shocks and springs if I need to.

Right now I'm in the planning stage of all this, I want to have a definate starting point and a finish point. Even if I decide to add or change things later, I atleast want finish one thing at a time. Heck the halo's for the headlights aren't even here yet!

So, I figure it will take about four weeks for them to build the supercharger and assemble all the parts for the system. ( Piping, blow off valve, oil cooler / intercooler, etc.etc.) I figure less than five grand will cover it. And I will get to 300 hp atleast for sure with no problem! B)

sooo how is it going...?

I have the 1st Raptor V SC in an IS 300 or ANY vehicle for that metter on the north american continent... :)

I initiated their entry into the US market with my car.... hope your setup is working well...?

Hey is300sc,,, Iv'e actually seen your ride before, I think it was cardomain. NICE JOB!!! Inside and out.

I am currently in the midst of going turbo. I just got the turbo in last week ( Turbonetics), and I have orders out there everywhere with bits and pieces coming in almost daily now. Some new tech. seems to be coming out as I order stuff, so I keep upgrading!!!! ( Man they know how to suck that last dollar out of your wallet don't they? )

Anyway, should be within the next 2 maybe three weeks and I will be fully boosted. Then of course it's on to the next step. Which will be putting th e chassis bars on, engine dress up, and then CF hood, and body kit. But right now it's all about the turbo!!!! We scheduled 2 days at the shop on the dyno for tuning. ( Pop is a little upset to say the least, but oh well, he'll get over it.)

So, hows your ride coming along? The last time I read it you were taking the supercharger off and stepping up for more hp.

Well this is to update. I have about 95% of everything in. The inter-cooler came in damaged, so I had to return it and they are reshipping that. I should have that by the end of the week, maybe Monday. So I have to get my a$$ in the garage and start getting everything together. The exhaust was on back order, but should be on the way now, and the header just came in. I'll be posting pics later.

I called ups today, I am scheduled a delivery for wednesday,( tommarrow). So, once that is in, I will have everything here accept the some non pertinent items. So I'll be able to start. It won't be this weekend, as I have other plans. ( Family stuff.) So I'll be fighting for use of the shop the weekend after that, then a day or two for final tuning and so fourth. Later this week or the beginning of the next week I'll get some shots of our shop for everyone to see where I'm going to be working on my baby. I'll even take a few of the "work" van I have to drive while the baby is on the rack. I know my thread has been sort of quiet lately. Waiting is such a dull time.

AYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! just thought i'd break the silence... lol... come on smooth you're family can wait!!!! bump it up a weekend!! lol.... j/k.... waiting sure does suck!!! i have to wait till after christmas before i can do anything else to my car... :( i guess i'll have to drool over yours until then... lol.....

Well, I plan on actually starting on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. I can pull the intake, exhaust and header off, tap the oil pan and run the lines. get the intercooler set up. And I'll have to make a custom housing for the boost gauge, and the PLX wideband monitor.( I'm still kinda debating where I want that stuff in the car. I wanna try to stay "stealth", but I need to be able to see them well. The PLX is black and rectangle, about an inch and half high, 4 inches wide. You know that useless space under the radio and in front of the shifter? I was thinking about putting in there. But I aslo have the gauge to figure out. HHmm, any suggestions anyone?) So when the weekend hits I'll be able to focus on just putting the turbo in and getting everything to fit right. Then refill the oil and start tuning.

hmmm.... stealthy huh? maybe you could use the cup holder spot and keep one open for your cups... and then flap the cover over and instant stealth... i don't know... i just went out to my car and looked for a spot... that's all i could come up with... but personally i like the 3 pod cluster that goes where the dash tray is.... but that's just me...

Yeah, I can't put a 3 gauge cluster in the dash tray as one, I don't have a tray there, I have the compartment, and two, the lid of the caompartment is going to be a second, flip up DVD screen that works off the AVIC. SO, I can't put it there.

In the AC vent huh??, I'll have to contemplate that for awhile. I was thinking about makeing a custom fiberglass mold over the steering column. HHhhmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,

You know, I had a 69 Camaro that had so many gauges that I took 2 of them and we put them on the rear decklid near the center so you could see them in the rear view mirror!!!