Front Suspension

My suspension has an issue. I just recently replaced almost all of my front suspension, except for the upper control arms and the springs. I recently drove my aunt's newer 2006 Camry and the ride quality is near perfect like it should be. I'm sure that when my car was new the suspension must have been better than what I am experiencing otherwise I doubt anyone would buy the car. My mother's 95 Camry is even smoother than my car. While going over bumps at a medium speed 30+ mph my suspension makes an awful thump noise. Its both the front and rear suspension that I get the "thump" from.

The newer 2006 Camry's suspension is quiet and very soft comfortable ride. There's no comparison between the two. In the front suspension I have replaced the lower control arms, upper strut mount, bump stops, end links, sway bar bushings, struts, and the spring insulators. The factory repair manual stated bottoming out can be associated with bad springs or just being overloaded. Granted, I know I am comparing a 13 year old car to a 2006 Toyota, but something isn't right. Currently I have KYB GR2 shocks and all the rest are new oem Lexus parts. What could I try to eliminate this uncomfortable thump I am getting when I drive over a bump. Nothing is loose, the suspension is all torqued to spec. Could it be the upper control arms or the springs? Its just very disappointing to spend all that money and still have a harsh ride while going over bumps. I'm just kind of lost with this. Maybe the springs just need to be replaced as well. Anyone else experienced anything like this. Or maybe I need to go back to the oem shocks/struts.

My suspension has an issue. I just recently replaced almost all of my front suspension, except for the upper control arms and the springs. I recently drove my aunt's newer 2006 Camry and the ride quality is near perfect like it should be. I'm sure that when my car was new the suspension must have been better than what I am experiencing otherwise I doubt anyone would buy the car. My mother's 95 Camry is even smoother than my car. While going over bumps at a medium speed 30+ mph my suspension makes an awful thump noise. Its both the front and rear suspension that I get the "thump" from.

The newer 2006 Camry's suspension is quiet and very soft comfortable ride. There's no comparison between the two. In the front suspension I have replaced the lower control arms, upper strut mount, bump stops, end links, sway bar bushings, struts, and the spring insulators. The factory repair manual stated bottoming out can be associated with bad springs or just being overloaded. Granted, I know I am comparing a 13 year old car to a 2006 Toyota, but something isn't right. Currently I have KYB GR2 shocks and all the rest are new oem Lexus parts. What could I try to eliminate this uncomfortable thump I am getting when I drive over a bump. Nothing is loose, the suspension is all torqued to spec. Could it be the upper control arms or the springs? Its just very disappointing to spend all that money and still have a harsh ride while going over bumps. I'm just kind of lost with this. Maybe the springs just need to be replaced as well. Anyone else experienced anything like this. Or maybe I need to go back to the oem shocks/struts.

I got the same problem with my SC 300 94 but I haven't change anything from my suspension!!!I hate the noise but I just got my car 2 weeks ago so how much have you invest in changing all that stuff??

Rubber bushings also tend to go bad, an dshould be replaced to get that new car, soft ride. Yea or your shocks could be blown, but your car would bounce if that was the case. I would check out the ball joints and bushings in the front.

I hope your right Jibbby and its that easy to get rid of (rough ride). The KYB GR2 struts are new but maybe more harsh than I thought? I just went on a Lexus dealers oem site to order some new shocks to replace the GR2's and I found them for $38.72 each for the front strut. I think its a misprint, but hopefully I get them at that price. A new oem Lexus strut for $38.72? Great deal. If its just the springs I will laugh my !Removed! off in joy! Along with only paying $38 bucks for an oem strut. Hey advertised price right??

True if the shocks are weak you will bottom out... However, I would think if the springs wear out the shocks then cannot support the spring load failure and I would think you would then bottom out too...

Got to go with SK and say just try and change out the shocks first...

True if the shocks are weak you will bottom out... However, I would think if the springs wear out the shocks then cannot support the spring load failure and I would think you would then bottom out too...

Got to go with SK and say just try and change out the shocks first...

The only way springs fail is if the shocks have been shot for a long time...............Spring steel has a high value of resiliency and will almost never fail on it's own. :whistles:

Also if the spring is dead which usually only happens when they snap the corner will be lower. New shocks will only add a slight bit of increased height while the spring changes the height drastically.

Well, I ordered two new front oem Lexus shocks and will try those. The KYB GR2's only have at most 6,000 miles on them. If that fixes it I'll be very happy especially since they were so inexpensive. I'll be surprised if it does since the aftermarket shocks are made by KYB. I was just going by what it said in the Lexus repair manual. Bottoming out->overloaded or worn springs. Struts should be here within the next week and I'll post my results. As long as my car is finished from getting re-painted :cheers: Thanks for everyone's input, hopefully if the struts don't fix the problem one of you guys will be able to direct me to the next move. I knew I should of stuck with oem shocks/struts. I just want the "like new" Lexus ride quality back. Thanks again for everyone's replies.

I've never known a Lexus shock/strut to be only $38 though. The 92-94 model SC are $144 each and the 97+ are $38 each? Something can't be right... But like I said I ordered the 97+ struts for $38 a piece. We'll see...

I get the shocks on Tuesday, but the car will be in the body shop for 3 more weeks. I still can't believe $38/shock. I have Supra control arms so hopefully the oem 97-00 model shocks will pair up nicely with them. I've read that the 97+ lexus lower control arm bushings look alot like the supra bushings.

• 10 years later...

Lexus082, somewhere I am sure I missed your follow up post on the rough ride fix.  Was it shocks, bushings, or something else.  Mine is doing the same thing and the service records show most of the front suspension was replaced a few years ago.  How do we get this back to factory ride comfort??