Harmonic Vibration Sound At Varying Speeds/while At Idle

mdkm7790

I have a 2004 LX470 that has an interior humming noise while idling at a traffic light and while on highway. Lexus replaced the muffler but I get the feeling this is a LX470 issue. Is there anyone out there with similar problems or someone who has found a resolution???

I have a 2004 LX470 that has an interior humming noise while idling at a traffic light and while on highway. Lexus replaced the muffler but I get the feeling this is a LX470 issue. Is there anyone out there with similar problems or someone who has found a resolution???

Lexus has a kit which nulls the harmonic vibration in the exhaust system, I doubt they will charge you as it is a tech bulletin.

No harmonic muffler noise on my 03. Only noise I get from the exterior is an occasional buzzing from the plastic panel above the left rear wheel in the wheel well. That piece of plastic is thin and the only damping are the 3 bolts that hold the rear bumper to the body via that panel. Since I replaced the rear bumper w/ an aftermarket one, I just bolted those three bolts directly through that panel into the body, but the panel is so thin it will vibrate if the engine is cold and it's cold outside and you are at a red light idling. I think the solution is to increase the mass of the panel using something like peel n seal roofing asphalt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had an 05 that made an annoying dieseling/booming sound which emanated from the exhaust system. The sound dampeners that the Tech Bulletin suggests didn't really help that much plus it took the stupid dealership 3 weeks to figure it out. I finally to the other Lexus dealer where we had bought our LS, and they replaced the entire exhaust system which cured the problem and it only took them 30 minutes to figure it out. They asked if the vehicle had ever been in an accident (it hadn't) because the entire exhaust system was out of position. I now have an 07 LX and it seems to be a lot quieter and smoother than the 05.