Cracked Windshield

lesg

I have a 2003 SC430 and for no apparent reason a very long 1.5 foot crack appeared on the windshield. I was having the back bumper replaced at a body shop. The owner of the shop said the car wasn't jacked up or anything. They washed it after replacing the bumper and while moving it into the stall they noticed the very long crack that wasn't there 10 minutes ago. It starts on the driver's side top, center and ran straight down then curved at the center of the glass towards the middle of the glass. I just read a thread about stress fractures in the windshield in the GX470 Forum so I will call Lexus's Service Department to look into it being a Stress Fracture.

Went to Lexus - They said stress fractures usually start from the bottom of the windshield. They took it to their Professional Glass shop. (Ace Glass Shop off of Ward Avenue) to be inspected. The expert there said it appears to be a stress fracture. He saw one start from the same place. At that point in the center of the driver's side at the top of the glass, there is a clip that sits under the windshield. He could tell because the glass break at that point was popped up a little and was smoother at the tail end in the center of the windshield.

Out of warranty so the body shop will have it replaced.

I have a 2003 SC430 and for no apparent reason a very long 1.5 foot crack appeared on the windshield. I was having the back bumper replaced at a body shop. The owner of the shop said the car wasn't jacked up or anything. They washed it after replacing the bumper and while moving it into the stall they noticed the very long crack that wasn't there 10 minutes ago. It starts on the driver's side top, center and ran straight down then curved at the center of the glass towards the middle of the glass. I just read a thread about stress fractures in the windshield in the GX470 Forum so I will call Lexus's Service Department to look into it being a Stress Fracture.

Went to Lexus - They said stress fractures usually start from the bottom of the windshield. They took it to their Professional Glass shop. (Ace Glass Shop off of Ward Avenue) to be inspected. The expert there said it appears to be a stress fracture. He saw one start from the same place. At that point in the center of the driver's side at the top of the glass, there is a clip that sits under the windshield. He could tell because the glass break at that point was popped up a little and was smoother at the tail end in the center of the windshield.

That is bull. I have a 2006 SC430 and the warranty covered the crack in my winshield. I had just driven from Los Angeles to Santa Clara and saw the crack on the next morning. This crack was from the passenger side pillar. Did they claim it was from impact? If so, from where?

• 3 weeks later...

That is bull. I have a 2006 SC430 and the warranty covered the crack in my winshield. I had just driven from Los Angeles to Santa Clara and saw the crack on the next morning. This crack was from the passenger side pillar. Did they claim it was from impact? If so, from where?

My 2006 now has its second stress crack. The first was replaced by the dealer. I'm waiting for the Lexus rep to view my new crack. Is this going to be an ongoing problem?

• 2 weeks later...

My 2006 now has its second stress crack. The first was replaced by the dealer. I'm waiting for the Lexus rep to view my new crack. Is this going to be an ongoing problem?

I have a 2002 sc430 and about 8 months ago I got home parked my car with no cracks. I woke up next day to find a huge crack on my windshield with out any signs of anything hitting it. I took it to the dealers and they kept pointing to a spot and kept saying as you can see something hit it here. I have very good vision and nothing hit the glass. They ended up replacing the windshield for me under the warranty. Unfortunately, last month same thing happens again. I go to sleep with my car parked and wake up next morning with another crack and no sign of anything hitting it. I took it back to the dealers and now my car is out of warranty. But the windshield they had replace 8 months ago comes with 1 yr warranty so I figured they would replace that but they kept insisting i hit something and kept pointing to something that really wasn't there. After giving me the run around I just decide to get it done on my own and pay out of my pocket .

Could this be a defect?

If you had the same issue can send me an email at apatel562@yahoo.com. If we can get enough people with similar issue and report it to lexus, it might just do all of us some good.

• 1 month later...

I am absolutely convinced that this is a known and common defect.

As I write this, the windshield is being replaced on my 2006 SC430 after a crack appeared spontaneously (without impact) last week. The guy who is doing the job said he has a 2005 SC430 scheduled for later in the day. A little over a year ago, I had to have the windshield replaced on a 2004 SC430. Three strikes right there.

I just wish I had read this thread before I filed an insurance claim to get this handled. Next time (and I am beginning to believe there will be a next time, unfortunately), I will take this back to the dealer and insist it be done under warranty.)

• 1 year later...
I am absolutely convinced that this is a known and common defect.

As I write this, the windshield is being replaced on my 2006 SC430 after a crack appeared spontaneously (without impact) last week. The guy who is doing the job said he has a 2005 SC430 scheduled for later in the day. A little over a year ago, I had to have the windshield replaced on a 2004 SC430. Three strikes right there.

I just wish I had read this thread before I filed an insurance claim to get this handled. Next time (and I am beginning to believe there will be a next time, unfortunately), I will take this back to the dealer and insist it be done under warranty.)

My 2006 windshield cracked also and Lexus did replace it. About a year later, i had a stone hit the windshield. In less than an hour later, the windshield cracked again. this time, Lexus would not replace.

• 1 year later...

I have 2002 SC430, i'm on my third windshield in less than three years. I heard a a snap on the way to work, no other cars around. When I came out to go home that evening, crack starting at the top, about 12 inches. I've paid for one windshield and labor on the second. I hope it goes well in the morning when I take it into Lexus. I love this car, but I don't want to have to keep dealing with who is going to pay for the windshield this time. I have had them check the frame etc... nothing found. Is there any solution to this problem?

About 3 years ago I started experiencing cracking in my windshield. My insurance company replaced it 4 times through is authorized rep. When it cracked the fifth time, I took it to the dealership and when they removed the top part of the assembly you could see that a deformation in the structure on the top left. They grinded it down, replaced the windshield and no problems since. Manufacturing defect. My car is a 2005.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am on my second windshield in 16 months. No impact such as a rock can be found. The dealer replaced the first one and now will not, even though they agree there is no sign of impact. I'm a new Lexus owner and always heard how great their customer service is which is part of the reason I bought one. So far, I haven't had much customer service even from Corporate. There is obviously a problem and they won't take responsibility.

BTW, I bought this 2005 with 9,000 miles in December of 2009. By April of 2010 the windshild cracked the first time. The second time was December of 2011. I have been fighting with them since and so far, they are winning. Windshield is still cracked. :cries: