Took A Little Hit Last Night, Can One Find A Bumper Skin?

rvgraham

Got lightly tapped from behind on 101 in San Jose last night, guy was in a little 2dr C-class Merc. He was very nice but in a huge panic to avoid doing everything legit either because he didn't have insurance (though he said he did) or he couldn't afford the hit on his policy or whatever. To make a long story a bit shorter, I agreed to follow him to an atm and accept $300 cash. The only damage I could see was some paint scuffed on the lower bumper skin. Of course this morning, in daylight, I can see that there's a bit of deformation in the skin.

Is there any chance I can find a lower bumper part? Or would most junkyards not part with it without selling the whole rear end? Any ideas I'd appreciate the input. I could just have it buffed out, maybe re-shoot the clear-coat. I'm assuming it has a clear coat, I know the black paint doesn't but I'd think the charcoal lower color would be cleared. We're talking about a '99 here, so it's two tone and only the lower, dark gray part has damage.

Thanks, Bob

try calling 502-363-2674. Ask for mike mclain. They are a reputable auto salvage that is fair on price and they ship ANYWHERE. Tell him i told you to call;) I believe they have a 98'-00' thats hit in the front. It's worth a shot! good luck!

Got lightly tapped from behind on 101 in San Jose last night, guy was in a little 2dr C-class Merc. He was very nice but in a huge panic to avoid doing everything legit either because he didn't have insurance (though he said he did) or he couldn't afford the hit on his policy or whatever. To make a long story a bit shorter, I agreed to follow him to an atm and accept $300 cash. The only damage I could see was some paint scuffed on the lower bumper skin. Of course this morning, in daylight, I can see that there's a bit of deformation in the skin.

Is there any chance I can find a lower bumper part? Or would most junkyards not part with it without selling the whole rear end? Any ideas I'd appreciate the input. I could just have it buffed out, maybe re-shoot the clear-coat. I'm assuming it has a clear coat, I know the black paint doesn't but I'd think the charcoal lower color would be cleared. We're talking about a '99 here, so it's two tone and only the lower, dark gray part has damage.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, they have one at that # I left, but its a entire rear bumper assymbly and will run $500 +shipping. Its gold in color so your looking at painting it aswell. Hopefully the damage isn't that bad but worst case senario its there. Hope this helps, scott

Scott,

Thanks for the effort on your part. I've decided to let it slide for now, I'll get it buffed out or repainted at a later date. Most people don't think it's really noticeable, I think buffing it out will make it look more than 90% better.

Bob

Bob, they have one at that # I left, but its a entire rear bumper assymbly and will run $500 +shipping. Its gold in color so your looking at painting it aswell. Hopefully the damage isn't that bad but worst case senario its there. Hope this helps, scott

Scott,

Thanks for the effort on your part. I've decided to let it slide for now, I'll get it buffed out or repainted at a later date. Most people don't think it's really noticeable, I think buffing it out will make it look more than 90% better.

Bob

No problem, always willing to help when its possible. If it's just a scuff mark a good buff will work for now i'm sure;)

Scott,

I have a 95 LS400 and I need to replace my front bumper cover. I live in Austin,TX and can't find any in the locals junk yards. You know how much they cost?

Scott,

I have a 95 LS400 and I need to replace my front bumper cover. I live in Austin,TX and can't find any in the locals junk yards. You know how much they cost?

I will defidently look in to it for you. There is also a place here called ABP(auto body panel) 502-473-7300 that deals in aftermarket parts..... fenders, bumper skins, etc. I will happily price check it ,if it's available. As far as price your guess is as good as mine? Tofu, do you only need the skin, or is it smashed b/c you'd be amazed at how well a good bodyshop can fix damages most would consider unfixable(just a thought;) Anyway, i'll let you know what i find.

Scott

Scott,

I will defidently look in to it for you. There is also a place here called ABP(auto body panel) 502-473-7300 that deals in aftermarket parts..... fenders, bumper skins, etc. I will happily price check it ,if it's available. As far as price your guess is as good as mine? Tofu, do you only need the skin, or is it smashed b/c you'd be amazed at how well a good bodyshop can fix damages most would consider unfixable(just a thought;) Anyway, i'll let you know what i find.

Scott

Scott,

Yes, I only need the skin. My bumper torn up pretty bad beyond repair.

Scott,

Scott

Scott,

Yes, I only need the skin. My bumper torn up pretty bad beyond repair.

Tofu, i checked ABP, and they said it was dealer only:( I will call the junkyard tomarrow and see what i find....Cross your fingers;)

Tofu, i checked ABP, and they said it was dealer only:( I will call the junkyard tomarrow and see what i find....Cross your fingers;)

Thanx Scott