Replacing Ecu On 98 Gs400

98 GS400. The Lexus dealer said my ECU is malfunctioning and it needs to be replaced. It isn't sending power to the Var. Valve Timimg. They want $1600. just for the part, plus $420 labor. I found a used ECU for $300.

My Question is do I have to replace the ignition also or have the ignition reprogrammed. Or can I just replace the ECU and start it up and drive? ECU part#8966630050

Thanks

Dennis (909)238-8292

Wow thats a crazy amount of cash for a computer. I would just get that computer and install it myself. I think you will be able to use your keys and ignition switch. You might need to get your keyless entry reprogrammed if it runs through the computer. Maybe some one else can chime in, I know more about American cars. The !Removed! might do some weird integration of the computer. I dont want to misinform you. Could you buy the computer and just have the dealer install it? The only downfall is they wont warranty the part. Thats also alot of money for ther labor. Took me 10 minutes to remove my ECU. At least with my 93 GS300 I put a 95 GS300 ECU in and it started right up. I dont know if they are in the same location but the dealer seems to be charging you way too much unless there is more to reprogram than I could think of.

If your ECU is bad, this is what Lexus will likely want to do:

Replace:

ECU $1,579.03

2 Master Keys - $338.00 ($169.00)

Valet Key - $49.51

Total parts = $1,966.54 plus Labor

They keys are locked to the ECU and cannot be reprogrammed to a different ECU.

The basic problem with the used ECU is that you will not be able to put it into programming mode unless you have the ignition cylinder and at least one programmed master key from the car that the used part came from. Even if you did, it will have different key cuts than your car so it will not let you insert and turn your keys to program them. (There are rumors around the water cooler that somebody has the ability to reprogram a used ECU, but I wouldn't know how to find someone to do it.)

If the keys that physically turn the locks in your car are not programmed to the ECU, the engine will not start.

make sure you get at least one master key with that used ecu, if not you're SOL. the older lexus ecu's cannot be erased even with the factory scan device (i have one). the newer ones you can erase all the keys and program a whole new set if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your 2cents. Very helpful. You are right about the ECU. You must have at least one master key that goes with the ECU. Only the inner remote part of the key is needed not the whole ignition switch. I did find someone that had the ability to reprogram the ECU without the matching master key, but it was cheaper to buy a used ECU W/master key then it was to have them reprogram it. Go figure.

Anyway not that you care, but it turned out Lexus was wrong. It wasn't the ECU that was bad. Because I had the same problem with the new/used ECU as with the old one. (I get to eat that one for $400 + $220 for thier lazy diagnosis)

Var. Valve Timing. Chk engine code P1349 and P0300 "P0301 P0303 P0305 P0307" ended up being the "VVT Oil Control Valve" celinoid for the Var. Valve Timing. I am now an expert in the area. I will start a new posting of this issue in detail.

Thanks to all of you and www.alldatadiy.com. $25.00 saved me about $3000+

• 3 months later...
Thanks everyone for your 2cents. Very helpful. You are right about the ECU. You must have at least one master key that goes with the ECU. Only the inner remote part of the key is needed not the whole ignition switch. I did find someone that had the ability to reprogram the ECU without the matching master key, but it was cheaper to buy a used ECU W/master key then it was to have them reprogram it. Go figure.

Anyway not that you care, but it turned out Lexus was wrong. It wasn't the ECU that was bad. Because I had the same problem with the new/used ECU as with the old one. (I get to eat that one for $400 + $220 for thier lazy diagnosis)

Var. Valve Timing. Chk engine code P1349 and P0300 "P0301 P0303 P0305 P0307" ended up being the "VVT Oil Control Valve" celinoid for the Var. Valve Timing. I am now an expert in the area. I will start a new posting of this issue in detail.

I have a 1998 LS 400 with 150K miles. Recently all of a sudden the VSC and Check engine lights came on. Code is P1349. Car runs just fine so far. I can tell no difference in performance. Any advice is greatly appreciated

• 4 months later...

I have a 1998 LS 400 with 150K miles. Recently all of a sudden the VSC and Check engine lights came on. Code is P1349. Car runs just fine so far. I can tell no difference in performance. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Hi nancy f,

I not very much into cars, but my story might be helpful to you. I just bought a 2003 GS300. The car was coming from Italy early this year, and it had a problem with the VSC. VSC light came on permanently. Guys at local Lexus could not do anything, a Toyota dealer solved the problem by disconnecting the negative from the accumulator, setting the front wheels to straight position, and re-connect again. Problem was solved, now the ECU knows the correct position of the car, and VSC works just fine since then.

Regards,

z.Solo