Hooked Ipod To Stock Stereo!

Ollie

Hey Everyone!

I just wanted to share my joy in finally managing to hook my Ipod directly into the stock stereo of my 1990 LS400!

I found a wiring diagram on the internet and used it to identify the audio wires that were coming from the CD Changer into the stock stereo. I then cut these and re-connected them to a RCA cable. Now I have an RCA out from the stock stereo! And I've used a RCA to 3.5mm jack into my Ipod.

Perfect sound!

*BLEEP*! Took me long enough to find the website again! HERE is the best Wiring Diagram you will ever find for the LS400:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/audio/howto_wiring_daigrams.htm

I was reading this topic and I think it is great that you found a way to connect the Ipod up. If you cut the wires and put the corresponding RCA connectors on, and purchase two splitters to connect to the head unit wires, it should allow for multiple inputs. Basically, this will allow the CD changer to send a signal when the Ipod is not, or the Ipod to send the signal when the CD is not. If you accidently push both through at the same time, it will sound like garbage.

Please do scan and post the wiring diagram. There are many that would like to see it.

Dang, I didnt realise that here at LOC we were not on the ball on this Aux input issue.

I have mine set up already by tapping into the changer inputs. Changer still works perfectly and i didnt even have to cut into one single wire.

HERE we have a complete explanation of how to get the mod done. No wires need to be cut.

http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html

This is a website that I found a while ago where you can find wiring diagrams and a lot of other info for almost any car out there.

(NOTE: for the 1990 LS you need to use the info for the 1992 which is the same in most ways)

When this is done your mp3 play will sound as good as the changer if not better.

Dang, I didnt realise that here at LOC we were not on the ball on this Aux input issue.

I have mine set up already by tapping into the changer inputs. Changer still works perfectly and i didnt even have to cut into one single wire.

HERE we have a complete explanation of how to get the mod done. No wires need to be cut.

This is a website that I found a while ago where you can find wiring diagrams and a lot of other info for almost any car out there.

(NOTE: for the 1990 LS you need to use the info for the 1992 which is the same in most ways)

When this is done your mp3 play will sound as good as the changer if not better.

Will this work if my cd changer is broken? It turns on but does not operate (just shows error message.). It would be nice if this works seeing how VaisTech and friends don't care about any pre2001 Lexus cars. Direct input for my ipod....someone pinch me!! LOL

WOW...at CL we've been through this so in depth.

It should still work because the headunit will activate the changer inputs anyway even though there is an error message.

It is the most amazing thing ever because sound quality is so much better than a freaking transmitter. I would say that it sounds even bettery than my stock Nak changer becuase i can modify the sound settings on my mp3 player.

Just get it done...you wont be sorry.

congrats man! i just bought an ipod 30 gig for my bimmer. aww : ). im doin a DICE setup where it gets rid of the CDC and replaces it with the ipod. its cool cause i can still use my steering wheel controls too!

To answer questions:

1. My CD Changer didn't work anyway. So I cut my wires. I tried it without cutting the wires, and just splicing in (eg. so you have a three way connection). But you get weird feedback.

2. To solve the problem of the CD Changer not working and just showing Error on the screen, I simply keep the CD Changer door open. This prevents the CD Changer trying to play a CD, but the audio wires are still active. This solution was posted on this forum some time ago.

Any other questions welcome

• 2 weeks later...

I have a functioning CD changer, and did the mod last weekend.

I completely cut the CD R+, R-, L+, L- wires before they go into the back of the head unit.

I ran those back to the center console so I could wire into a 4PDT switch. With a simple toggle, I can switch from CD to MP3 player, with perfect clarity. This also eliminates the need to burn a blank CD for those with working CD changers.

I think the key is to ground both sets of audio inputs, including the ones from the 1/8" jack.

• 2 months later...
I have a functioning CD changer, and did the mod last weekend.

I completely cut the CD R+, R-, L+, L- wires before they go into the back of the head unit.

I ran those back to the center console so I could wire into a 4PDT switch. With a simple toggle, I can switch from CD to MP3 player, with perfect clarity. This also eliminates the need to burn a blank CD for those with working CD changers.

I think the key is to ground both sets of audio inputs, including the ones from the 1/8" jack.

i just bought an ipod connector using a tape like connector, poor me i never checked before i ordered, the tape player doesnt work at all. it refuses to keep a tape inside

could you post more detail on your work e.g. what is the 4PDT switch you used, wiring colors of CD R+, R- etc... that need to be cut and connected to the switch

some tutor pix is appreciated

thanks a lot

I bought one of those iPod FM transmitters. I works alright but there is always static, no matter what channel I select. I want clarity as from the CD changer, however, I have an aftermarket radio (Clarion) with a subbox that has 3 10" JL Audio subwoofers. It thumps. I would like to know how I could hook up my iPod. Question - Could I use Auxillary line/RCA's? I have RCA's coming from my system that I believe once housed a DVD (can tell by the mounting bracket screw holes on the passenger side of the counsole under the left hand side of the glove box), but they took the DVD when I bought the car. At least I was stuck with the awesome audio system.

Will this work if my cd changer is broken? It turns on but does not operate (just shows error message.). It would be nice if this works seeing how VaisTech and friends don't care about any pre2001 Lexus cars. Direct input for my ipod....someone pinch me!! LOL

your ERR message might be related to your battery voltage. My '90 had the same problem once, about two months prior to the alternator dying. I had no idea the two were related until the problem went away on its own with a fully charged battery.

• 10 years later...

Hi All,
I have successfully wired in an aux 3.5mm audio jack to a first gen LS400 Pioneer head unit via the AM/FM radio audio circuit.
When a music source is connected to the 3.5mm jack, the audio is played together with the radio on both AM or FM channels. To fix this I simply cut the audio channels on the printed circuit board for the AM radio (I don't listen to AM!) so that there is no longer any AM audio signal being fed to the processor.

Therefore, this method converts the "AM" button on the head unit to effectively become the "AUX IN" function.

Here is how I did it:

80-img_20171102_223358_74032685b17caed79715c919c5f70e0984ab0730.jpgOriginal Pioneer LS400 Stereo
80-img_20171102_223438_d61f9062b794e61bf81d81ea42f6579afe296f72.jpgRemove the upper AM/FM circuit board from the radio

80-img_20171102_223453_efc5320a6925eb8b877c14c2b4c656d3f8d8f193.jpgLocate TUR and TUL audio circuits

80-img_20171102_225248_63782951c7aa55f57440b66d52bfd90615cbf653.jpgSolder in your Left and Right audio circuits of the 3.5mm audio jack to TUL and TUR circuits.
Connect the ground wire to a ground point on the PCB (grey wire in pic).

80-img_20171102_231122_744653b1cfdb13652cc7fa0d34f189b73d209c26.jpgLocate AM audio circuits AMR and AML.
Cut the tracks on the PCB using a knife to create an open circuit.
AM radio audio will no longer play through the stereo system.

After carrying out these small modifications simply reassemble the head unit and refit back into the dash. Route your new auxilary cable to your preferred location, select AM and connect your music player.