Ever Thought Your Lexus Might Be A Lemon

Shayan

Dude, rose's post was right over your head LOL. He was making fun of you.

No...say it ain't so! J/k :whistles:

Shayan...when you start dumping more $$$ into a car then it is worth you might want to get rid of it...cars are not investments so the fact that you spent over 2 grand on a car that is worth 4k or 5k will not make it worth 6k or 7k in most cases. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. The key as everyone has told you is to makes sure the car has been well maintained if you are buying a used car...just because you are doing regular services now is not going to change the fact that the car could have been drove for years while not being properly maintained.

Now you can dump it and try to come close to breaking even or keep it and if something else goes up go in deeper!

Good Luck! :cheers:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

Well let me ask you this.

I've tried to sell my car, but no luck

I need a more reliable car,

So whats my best option?

A trade in at the dealers?

Plz help

Obviously you have to explore you opinions. So, you should go to a few dealers around town, you can also look up the trade-in value of the vehicle at www.kbb.com

Got calls and best offer was 1900 which was a insult.

This is the deal ive spent 1500 and paid 2350 for it

Insult? $1900 is only $450 below what you paid for it, without the $1500 worth of repairs. I would take that $1900 and buy something else.

Actually I would have taken that $1900 AND the $1500 and bought even a better car. You made the mistake of spending 64% of the total purchase price in repair cost!

Agreed. You made the decision to pour that kind of money into a car that old, you're not going to get it back. sell it for $1900 and cut your losses.

You were saying its a $30,000 car and shouldn't have these problems. If it was EXACTLY like a new one after 15 years it would still have cost you $30,000. There's a reason cars depreciate, they depreciate because they age and are no longer as desirable nor as reliable as they once were. Everything depreciates and have a useable life. Even homes, you hear people say the value of a home goes up. it doesn't, the value of REAL ESTATE goes up. The value of the physical structure itself depreciates because it gets old.

I didn't make the decision to nothing...

I was lied to when i bought it,

I truly love the car

but being 17 i cant upgrade to a new lexus or just go out and get another car.

So when it goes wrong what do i do?

I have to fix it or i wont have a car.

No... the notion that my Lexus could be a lemon has never crossed my mind and I know of nobody personally who would believe differently. What you have here is an example of poor maintenance and vehicle treatment.

My advice? A reiteration of everyone else who has posted in this thread. Continue your attempt to sell it for some reasonable (read: $1900) amount of money and invest the proceeds into a newer, more basic vehicle. A used Corolla would likely be ideal for what you're looking for in a car.

The point is that the vehicle you purchased was not very well maintained. Combined with the fact that it is over a decade and a half old, you can't place the blame on the auto manufacturer.

Re-hashing the issues you've had with the vehicle will not make the problems go away. It's time to 1) sell it for a cheaper car or 2) make the repairs and accept the fact that you will be investing money into a vehicle that is worth less than the repairs you're making to it.

In the end, it's unlikely that you're going to come out ahead. Realize that... and make certain that your next vehicle is well-inspected before purchasing it. Good luck.

I would try to clean the Air Control Valve, that might help your Idle Problem and is an unexpensive repair. CPR

Well,

I realize that but i had a 98 corolla with 210,000 and nothign ever went wrong with that car?

why?

lol

Ok the problems i have is:

Car dies due to the idle air control valve,

My mass air flow sensor has went out before. Struts are bad. Heater and ac dotn work it blows the air outside only

i dont know if its a computer thing or not.

Had t oreplace cv joints, morotr mounts,

Rack and pinnion is going out.

Drivers door wont open with the key from outside........ I could write a novel by time i get done describing m car.

Unfortunately you're basically out of options I think. You can try simple and cheap fixes like cardona posted above to help with some of the issues, but at this point you're just going to keep on having to spend to fix it unless you get rid of it.

I mean come on, one more year and the car can get a drivers license and drive iteself ;)

Hahaha! That's one of the best lines I've heard in a long time! LOL

But maybe I shouldn't laugh so loud - my ES is nearly as old! I definitely don't consider it a lemon though.

She's still a sweeeeeet ride. :D

well man, since you've been around cars all your life i suggest you start fixing stuff yourself. Thankfully your ES is just a dressed up camry, so parts should be cheap and available everywhere. I'm 19(barely) and I work on all my(dad's) cars. I do all the maintainence on our cars and i have to say its very rewarding. It's even more rewarding when you realize how much money you just saved. Unless somthing is out of my league i fix it. Hopefully the probs with your lex are simple.

good luck man!

First thing I'd do is get the parts from toyota to fix the car.

Then, I would get a motor vac done"worked wonders on my ride".

Third, if you wanna ride like a "big balla" it's gonna cost you some.

Beauty hurts....at least that's what my wife says.

mmmm

whats a motor vac?

thanks.

First thing I'd do is get the parts from toyota to fix the car.

Then, I would get a motor vac done"worked wonders on my ride".

Third, if you wanna ride like a "big balla" it's gonna cost you some.

Beauty hurts....at least that's what my wife says.

mmmm

whats a motor vac?

thanks.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagea...491635&nm=8

Car dies due to the idle air control valve,

My mass air flow sensor has went out before. Struts are bad. Heater and ac dotn work it blows the air outside only

i dont know if its a computer thing or not.

Had t oreplace cv joints, morotr mounts,

Rack and pinnion is going out.

Drivers door wont open with the key from outside........ I could write a novel by time i get done describing m car.

What about the IAC valve? They normally stick & you can usntick them with some cleaning.

CV joints are a fact of life. If you don't maintain the boots & geep the joint greased with the correct grease at all times. The joints fail. Big deal, they're $75 a pop. Takes about an hour, or two to remove the first axle & 1/2 the time to do the second at the house with a torch, prybar, basic handle tools.

Motor mounts, suspensions mounts. All a fact of life son. Rubber gets old & splits. Wouldn't matter what car you had. At that age guess what. There's not a chance in hell unless it has literally sat in an ar conditioned building.

I very highly doubt the AFM itself went out.

Ther eis simply no way you have an ECU problem.

We don't have a rack & pinion steering. We have a power rack and pinion gear with a rotary control valve! j/k

LoL! I sooo couldn't help that. :D

So replace the door latch assembly. it's not hard, it's like a $50-75 part for the handle assembly.

All this stuff is relatively minor.

the mass airflow, Belts, waterpump, cd joints, motor mounts, alternator have been replaced with new parts.

The struts are left, engine leaks and no heat or ac.

You lost me with the:

I very highly doubt the AFM itself went out.

Ther eis simply no way you have an ECU problem.

What is AFM and ECU?

no clue.

If i did get a lock assemly wouldent i have one key for door and diffrent for ignition?

The AFM is the correct term for your mass airflow sensor.

You have a Vane AirFlow Meter. The failure rate is microscopic. If it was repaced, it was most likely replaced in error of another problem than replaced because it had actually failed. The ECU is the engine computer.

Swap the parts from one to the other.

lol this is what you do. one of us will come over and "steal" your car (it would help it if you left the other 3 doors unlocked), and park it on top of a local train track down the road. you collect insurance money, and we can all stop answering this foolish thread a bout your car being a lemon. lol sorry couldnt resist that either.

but seriously, cut your loses and buy a german car, ;)

lol this is what you do. one of us will come over and "steal" your car (it would help it if you left the other 3 doors unlocked), and park it on top of a local train track down the road. you collect insurance money, and we can all stop answering this foolish thread a bout your car being a lemon. lol sorry couldnt resist that either.

but seriously, cut your loses and buy a german car, ;)

If he buys a German car, he'll be broke for the rest of his life. Heck, next you'll be telling him to buy something French!

I didn't make the decision to nothing...

I was lied to when i bought it,

I truly love the car

but being 17 i cant upgrade to a new lexus or just go out and get another car.

So when it goes wrong what do i do?

I have to fix it or i wont have a car.

Okay, I've grown tired of the whining.

Clearly, this is a problem you seem to think someone else should solve. And, no matter how many people try to explain the facts of life to you, you keep coming back with some excuse or other for why you just can't solve this problem. I don't see anyone here stepping up to offer you a car. Ain't gonna happen, my friend. Take the good advice and fix it yourself, or find a solution that works.

So, do what you have to do, even if it is to get a job, save up and ride the bus in the meantime. Or. buy a bicycle. Maybe you don't need a car.

A 17 year old is quite capable of riding a bicycle anywhere. And, you can buy a wonderful bicycle for $1900.00 and the bus goes anywhere. Just a thought.

Rosie (a girl)

Uh yeah thanks for the response, since i asked for yuour reply......

Yeah never write on my post ever again.

And a (girl) can shut up.....

next time ill write and say rose let me get your input.