Ever Thought Your Lexus Might Be A Lemon

Shayan

Hello,

I own a 92 es300

i like it alot you know, but ever since i bought it ive been spending money on it ever month. Its a money pitt.

And im startign to think its a lemon, everything is breaking or falling apart. Things that shouldent ever break or fall apart.

Does anyone feel the same?

Any recalls on 92 es300's?

lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I own a 92 es300

i like it alot you know, but ever since i bought it ive been spending money on it ever month. Its a money pitt.

And im startign to think its a lemon, everything is breaking or falling apart. Things that shouldent ever break or fall apart.

lol

Have you ever considered that your Lexus is a 15 year old car. Heck, Nirvana were still around when your car rolled off the production line! Did you know the top selling single that year was Boyz II Men's End of the Road? Perhaps that best describes the state of your car.

Cheers

Stephen

everything is breaking or falling apart. Things that shouldent ever break or fall apart.

Like what? :huh::huh::huh:

Have you ever considered that your Lexus is a 15 year old car.

Exactly! ;)

Hello,

I own a 92 es300

lol

Mine is beyond a lemon. I barely drive it but alot of things don't work, that i'm too lazy to fix. ;-)

shayan:

Would you mind discussing some of your problems? Perhaps we could help you with them.

Also, before you bought the car did you ever test it, or was it an Ebay purchase?

No offense, but a 15 year old car cannot be a lemon. Its simply old, and unless you've owned it for the entire 15 years you have no idea how its been maintained, etc.

When a car gets that old, reliability is just a crapshoot, regardless of the manufacturer.

I mean come on, one more year and the car can get a drivers license and drive iteself ;)

Well,

I realize that but i had a 98 corolla with 210,000 and nothign ever went wrong with that car?

why?

lol

Ok the problems i have is:

Car dies due to the idle air control valve,

My mass air flow sensor has went out before. Struts are bad. Heater and ac dotn work it blows the air outside only

i dont know if its a computer thing or not.

Had t oreplace cv joints, morotr mounts,

Rack and pinnion is going out.

Drivers door wont open with the key from outside........ I could write a novel by time i get done describing m car.

WEll i bought it two years ago with 160,000

I realize its a old car and its normal for thigns to start needing repairs. But its things that should outlast the car

Such as the steering rack, the door lock. It's like they make them to where you have to replace everything in few years. And we know how lexus parts are.

Yeah thats how I felt when I got my Lexus. There were SOO many problems with it, too. I paid 2700 to get everything fixed from knock sensors, motor mounts, tie rods, valve covers, intake valve, sway bar, sway bar links, ect., ect. I still have roblems with it, but I love the car. It has really good handling and people think its a like a '97-2000 when its really a '92. Amazing car and it only has 140K, which is really good for a car that old. I'm thinking about getting a GS as my next car.

should've got an es250

runs reliably like a camry, sound system stock like a lexus

im at 168,000K with no major service... but im second owner, bought in 2000 with 100K

the only thing is bad shocks on the front, and some radiator work and i broke the moonroof, but thats minor

yeah,

The thing is that as soon as i fix one thing or im in the process something else goes bad. I just replaced the mass ariflow, and now my idle air control is going out and my alternator went out, causing me $126 for a tow and the part was $150.00

Its a non ending cycle.

THis is how it is.

I work , I get a paycheck, I cash the check, it goes to the car.

The cycle of my life.

lol

Glad to hear comments and Stories

Thanks for sharing.

yeah,

The thing is that as soon as i fix one thing or im in the process something else goes bad. I just replaced the mass ariflow, and now my idle air control is going out and my alternator went out, causing me $126 for a tow and the part was $150.00

Its a non ending cycle.

THis is how it is.

I work , I get a paycheck, I cash the check, it goes to the car.

The cycle of my life.

lol

Glad to hear comments and Stories

Thanks for sharing.

I don't want to sound like a smart A#@ but have you ever considered selling the car and getting a personal loan to buy a later model (such as a 2000 ES300). The repayments probably would be the same as your current repair bills and at least you'd be in a more modern and safer car.

With interest rates on the climb, I think he wouldn't want to do that. After I paid 2,700 to get my car fixed, I realize that I have more to do to it! I need a new battery, struts, tires, I have an oil leak that won't go away, and is costing me a quart per week (thats an incredible ammount of oil loss in such a short ammount of time), and I have a CEL that won't go away. My car still purrs and it still tops out at 120 MPH (I'm afraid to take it any higher). Those early ES' are great cars. After 15-10 years, though, they WILL need something to to replace those old parts. It's true though, they can be a money pit because lexus parts aren't exactly cheap, and the fact that the car is 15 years old doesn't help either. I have somewhat of a problem finding some parts for myself despite the use of the internet. Lacebug Sydney is right, too. The payments that you make for your car would probably ammount to that of a loan. Oh, and, Shayan, your aidle air control isn't a cheap part to fix. It costed me close to $800 a few months back.

Personally? My suggestion is to sell the car and get something newer and cheaper to maintain. Another Corolla or something like that.

I wouldn't advise that. I sold my Corolla to buy my Es300 and it's the best move I ever made. The new Corolla was the most uncomfortable car I have ever owned (and I've owned more than 20 cars). The seats must have been designed for an alien and the NVH was not exactly sophisticated. I needed earplugs to drive it down the freeway.

Just get a loan (heck the whole world lives on credit anyway) and buy a 2000 model ES300. Then get it serviced at Toyota using mostly Camry parts. Simple.

Well of course, the Corolla is an economy car.

I'm not sure what your age is relative to Shayan, but I personally am a big fan of not having car payments that choke you when you're young and should be having fun and preparing for your future. Thats why something like a Corolla is perfect for someone who is in that bracket, it might not be as comfortable or as prestigious as a Lexus, but its damn near free to own.

Hey,

lol

I'm glad we are on the same page on this one

I've had a for sale sign on it forever.Listed it in thriftynicks and newspaper.

Got calls and best offer was 1900 which was a insult.

This is the deal ive spent 1500 and paid 2350 for it

so you do the math.

Im gonna keep it if im gonna lose that much.

I figure eventually it'll run out of things to break.

WEll i bought it two years ago with 160,000

I realize its a old car and its normal for thigns to start needing repairs. But its things that should outlast the car

Such as the steering rack, the door lock. It's like they make them to where you have to replace everything in few years. And we know how lexus parts are.

I own a well maintained 92 ES300 with 256,000 miles on it. Runs like a dream.

BUT, I had to buy tires for it and a new battery recently. Let's start a class action lawsuit against these guys. I mean, really, besides the fact that it drives like a new car (and looks like one, too) they ought to be ashamed to put their logo on it!

rosie

BUT, I had to buy tires for it and a new battery recently. Let's start a class action lawsuit against these guys. I mean, really, besides the fact that it drives like a new car (and looks like one, too) they ought to be ashamed to put their logo on it!

rosie

Hey Rosie

Let's see a photo of this car of years. Sounds nice.

Stephen

xx

Seriously

My we should start one. Its a car made to go wrong.

Ive been stranded middle of the road 3 times in one year and the year just started, since they cost so much you would think it woulent do this.I'd expect this from kia or something not a $30,000 car.

Im 17.5 by the way

lol

But ive been aroud cars all my life

My dad was a mechanic but he is 10,000 miles away now

gotta go to school now

Talk to ya later.

Take care.

Seriously

Ive been stranded middle of the road 3 times in one year and the year just started, since they cost so much you would think it woulent do this.I'd expect this from kia or something not a $30,000 car.

Im 17.5 by the way

lol

Well, my dear, the sad news is that a 92 ES300 is, at best, a $5,000 car. You bought one that had issues.

Ay 17.5, this will be a great object lesson that being around cars is not the same as being around people selling one to you.

study hard!

rosie

Seriously

Im 17.5 by the way

lol

But ive been aroud cars all my life

My dad was a mechanic but he is 10,000 miles away now

gotta go to school now

Talk to ya later.

Take care.

Dude, rose's post was right over your head LOL. He was making fun of you.

Look, like he said (or she?) you are not driving a $30,000 car. It was $30,000 15 years and 180,000 miles ago. Its a $3,000 car. A new Kia is going to require MUCH less maintenance...because its new. Hell, even a 5 year old Kia will require less maintenance, because its 10 years newer. Things get old, and old things break more easily than new things. If you don't stay up on the maintenance on a car that old, it can turn into a real sizable problem quickly. Its hardly a "car made to go wrong", look at all the people here who have them and have kept them in good shape and still have beautiful, smooth riding, reliable cars. Its a great car, yours is just really old and a pile. Your Corolla was more reliable? Yes, and 6 years newer! Starting to see a pattern here?

There's nothing wrong with it, its just really old and hasn't been well cared for. What you're doing is like blaming a home builder because a 25 year old house needs a roof.

If you've been around cars all your life you'd understand this.

So, you can either put money into it (a mistake) or sell it and buy something thats newer and has been better cared for.

When ever you buy a used car, it's allllllll about the history of the vehicle as to how it will be in reliablity. A rough life means lots of repairs. A gentle life with maintenance means minimal repairs, but repairs none the less (just because of age and fatigue). The older of vehicle you get, the more pronounced this is.