Is A Lexus Really More Expensive To Fix?

The Josh

Still new to the board.

All of my friends, and my wife as well, are telling me that while Lexus are great cars they are so much more expensive to fix than other Japanese cars. But how can that be? The majority of the parts are made by Toyota, no? I can see a few places where it would be expensive, but for the most part is it that bad?

I feel confident if I buy a Lexus, it is going to last me a good while. But are they REALLY that much more expensive to fix versus a Camry or Nissan Maxima?

Help me out so I can make my purchase in peace.

Thanks in advance,

The Josh

Still new to the board.

All of my friends, and my wife as well, are telling me that while Lexus are great cars they are so much more expensive to fix than other Japanese cars. But how can that be? The majority of the parts are made by Toyota, no? I can see a few places where it would be expensive, but for the most part is it that bad?

I feel confident if I buy a Lexus, it is going to last me a good while. But are they REALLY that much more expensive to fix versus a Camry or Nissan Maxima?

Thanks in advance,

The Josh

No, Find a reputable mechanic that works on toyota/lexus with reasonable labor costs and buy the parts you need online so all you pay for is labor without exagerated parts markup. If regular maintenance is kept up almost nothing will ever go wrong. Have the lex your looking at thouroughly checked out ( preferably by your mechanic ) and get all the previous records to verify the work that has been done. Good Luck :cheers:

No, Find a reputable mechanic that works on toyota/lexus with reasonable labor costs and buy the parts you need online so all you pay for is labor without exagerated parts markup. If regular maintenance is kept up almost nothing will ever go wrong. Have the lex your looking at thouroughly checked out ( preferably by your mechanic ) and get all the previous records to verify the work that has been done. Good Luck :cheers:

The key to what DC said is to make sure that the UPKEEP has been done on whatever car/suv you are looking at. Lexus/Toyota makes great vehicles...but if you use Lexus to fix/repair your car it is much higher than Toyota. Just look at a regular service for oil/rotate tires/check and top off fluids...Toyota around $50...Lexus $160+ (these figures are estimates of my services)

Sure you can, and I could take my car somewhere and save some money...as DC said buy parts online...do small services yourself...if you can and or want to.

What year and model LEX are you looking for????

Everything is the same minus labor & parts cost from an actual Lexus dealer out of warranty.

Their costs average the same as any other marquee name. Atleast $90/h.

Many good brand dealers (Nissan, Toyota, Such higher quality cars) are beginning to charge such rates also.

Still new to the board.

Thanks in advance,

The Josh

Yes, a Lexus will be more expensive to maintain, fix, as will any upscale vehicle.

More "things", accessories, etc, some of them fairly complex, often many of them of new designs just being introduced to the market and to the world of the dealer service personnel.

Sorry, the leading edge is oftentimes the BLEEDING edge.

No, a Lexus is no more expensive to maintain than a Toyota. All parts can be purchased much cheaper than MSRP from online wholesalers, independent mechanics can easily work on the car. If you have it serviced at the dealer, its going to cost you a whole lot more but you don't have to do that.

No, a Lexus is no more expensive to maintain than a Toyota. All parts can be purchased much cheaper than MSRP from online wholesalers, independent mechanics can easily work on the car. If you have it serviced at the dealer, its going to cost you a whole lot more but you don't [i[have to do that.

I agree 100%. Many other dealerships like Ford, GM etc are about the same (around here).

All of my friends, and my wife as well, are telling me that while Lexus are great cars they are so much more expensive to fix than other Japanese cars. But how can that be? The majority of the parts are made by Toyota, no?

If you use the dealer it can be expensive. If you are a do-it-yourself type it is less expensive. Regular service on the ES is less expensive than my Ford truck. Much less than a Volvo, BMW, or other european cars. I do all of my "normal" maintenance items but I keep an independant mechanic for any major items.

I will also try to buy OEM for most replacement parts or the "high" line of consumables from NAPA or online.