Timing Belt Question

scottelble

I have a 98' LS 400 with 134k on it, and I'm not sure if the timing belt has been replaced already. In the event that the timing belt breaks before i get to replace it will it(or can it) damage my engine? I've heard about older ones being ok but i'm unsure about mine.....

I have a 98' LS 400 with 134k on it, and I'm not sure if the timing belt has been replaced already. In the event that the timing belt breaks before i get to replace it will it(or can it) damage my engine? I've heard about older ones being ok but i'm unsure about mine.....

98 LS4 engine is VVT-i which is definitely an "interferenced" engine ==> broken timing belt = bent valves = BIG $$$$

if tb was not replaced yet at 134k, you are really pushing your luck!

Pull off your timing covers and check the condition of the belt before you flip out.

Well, i got in touch with the previous owner and asked him about what a matinence had been done while he owned it. Timing and water pump had been done at 60k. He did all of the scheduled work at 90k aswell. It was due at 120k so i just ordered new ones. I thought i had heard the ''wining" noise but didn't know if i was paranoid! Thanks for the imput, It's got a date with the mechanic on tues:)

I have 300 000 km on my 98 LS and it is in need for a belt. Before i drove to Florida a couple months ago i had a tech pull the cam cover to see what the belt looked like. It was ok with slight fibres showing. It can show fibers and run for 20 000k after. I have only that mine was done at 110 000k so i am due by far to most but i am not paranoid about as it will get done this month finally. It also depends on what rpms you are going at when the belt snaps to judge the amount of damage if you are over 3000rpms then it will be worse but i hardly get over 2000-2500rpm unless i have to be somewhere.