Oversized Tire Size For 2002 Es300

Guest snugglebunnies

Guest snugglebunnies

Hello,

I'm thinking about going "slightly" oversized with new tire purchase (Michelin Pilots)

Car is 2002 ES300 with stock alloys 6.5x16 and stock tires 215-60-16

Reason for considering larger size is mostly aestethics.

Sizes I'm considering: 225-50-16 or 225-55-16

My questions are:

1. Will either fit the stock rim?

2. Which size would be the better choice and why?

3. Will the larger tire cause interference with suspension or wheelwell?

4. Will they perform better/worse than stock (noise, traction, planing, etc...)

5. Is there a "better" size than the two I've listed above?

6. Should I just buy the "stock" size and be happy?

Car is a daily beater driven year round and will see all four seasons plus light snow duty.

Driving style is normal with "ocassional" aggressive tendencies (if you cut me off...grrr!)

I realize the car is only a "glorified Camry" (my apologies to anybody that I just offended...)

and I realize that you can only do so much with the car.

I also realize that Lexus has done their due diligence to determine optimal size, but...as always,

I can't help but wonder if I can make it better (no, I don't work for BASF)

I should also add that I would like to go slightly bigger than stock but not at the risk of compromising

my safety or performance.

Thanks.

Why depart from the stock size? Any asthetic differences would be minimal.

I realize the car is only a "glorified Camry"

Actually only ~20% of the car is derived from the Camry. If you drive a Camry and an ES you'll realize they're pretty different.

As far as "you can only do so much" what are your goals? If you want to improve handling, upsizing the tires on the stock wheels is going to have the opposite effect.

Guest snugglebunnies

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the ES300 is just a better Camry.

Thanks for setting me straight, (hope I didn't ruffle any feathers out there!)

You asked what am I trying to do with the car?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to improve areas where Lexus made compromises.

All manufacturers, whether they produce a widget or an automobile makes them.

Compare a Porsche to a Ford and you'll understand (I know...you get what you pay for)

I think Lexus overall is an excellent design, and with my limited knowledge of the marque

(bought it last week), I am concentrating on areas which are traditionally the "weak link"

in almost any car you buy. That's right Buckwheat...the tires!

Why am I thinking oversized tire? Two reasons;

1. Aestethics (yes, I am vain. You may start casting stones...)

2. Some tires I am considering are not available in the stock size: 215-60-16,

but are available in a "slightly" larger size: 225-(50/55/60)-16

What tires am I interested in? (listed in decending order)

1. Michelin Exalto A/S-V (obvious choice?)

2. Bridgestone Turanza LS-V

3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (overkill?)

While we are on the subject of improving performance of the car, who makes "The Best"

Brake Pads for this car (2002 ES300)? I'm looking for the best in terms of fade resistant,

stopping power for "real world" conditions. I'm not concerned with having to wash my rims

every week if it means better braking performance. I am not interested in a "racing" pad

which requires considerable warm-up before they're effective and eats rotors, but a pad

that which has plenty of "whoa" power from the first press of the stop pedal. Advice is

greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I stand corrected. I was under the impression that the ES300 is just a better Camry.

Only drivetrain components and the basic frame are shared with the Camry, as they are shared with the Lexus RX, the Toyota Highlander, The Toyota Sienna, the Toyota Avalon so on and so forth. Its a widely used platform.

The ES is very much its own car and isn't really any more a Camry than an Avalon or an RX is. Every time they redesign the ES they use fewer components from the Camry platform.

I am concentrating on areas which are traditionally the "weak link"

What type of tires are on the car now?

While we are on the subject of improving performance of the car, who makes "The Best"

Brake Pads for this car (2002 ES300)? I'm looking for the best in terms of fade resistant,

stopping power for "real world" conditions. I'm not concerned with having to wash my rims

every week if it means better braking performance. I am not interested in a "racing" pad

which requires considerable warm-up before they're effective and eats rotors, but a pad

that which has plenty of "whoa" power from the first press of the stop pedal. Advice is

greatly appreciated.

Might want to start a new thread in the ES forum with that question ;)

You asked what am I trying to do with the car?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to improve areas where Lexus made compromises.

All manufacturers, whether they produce a widget or an automobile makes them.

Compare a Porsche to a Ford and you'll understand (I know...you get what you pay for)

I think Lexus overall is an excellent design, and with my limited knowledge of the marque

(bought it last week), I am concentrating on areas which are traditionally the "weak link"

Why am I thinking oversized tire? Two reasons;

1. Aestethics (yes, I am vain. You may start casting stones...)

2. Some tires I am considering are not available in the stock size: 215-60-16,

but are available in a "slightly" larger size: 225-(50/55/60)-16

What tires am I interested in? (listed in decending order)

1. Michelin Exalto A/S-V (obvious choice?)

2. Bridgestone Turanza LS-V

3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (overkill?)

greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Perhaps it's the current tires that are the problem (or the weak link as you put it) as opposed to changing the size right off the bat.

And yes the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are overkill bigtime.

SW likes those Michelin MXV4's too........I perfer the Goodyear Triple Treads myself. ;)

:cheers:

Guest snugglebunnies

Current tires are OE Michelin MVX4+.

Tires perform "ok" but are too loud for my taste.

Not what I expected from Lexus.

I've narrowed it down to 2 tires,

(stock size 215-60-16)

Michelin Exalto A/S (V)

Bridgestone Turanza A/S LS (V)

Steviej and SW seem to like the Michelin,

but how would the Turanza compare?

Keep in mind that I want a quiet tire that's

gonna stick in rain and snow, and not have

any surprises if I push them occasionally

(predictable).

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate you

taking the time to help "steer" this novice

straight (just wanna get it right the first time)

Oddly enough the MXV4s are some of the quietest tires on the market. How old are they do you know? What PSI are they aired to? They might still be the original tires.

Unless they're old a new set of tires isn't going to be appreciably quieter. I have the MXV4s and mine is dead silent on all but the roughest roads.

I've never had the Turanzas (others here have) personally...

keep in mind that if the car is to see snow, the 225s will not do as well as the 215s, but the difference may be minimal.

If you don't want to wash your rims and you like the noiseless operation, then stick with Toyota OEM pads and rotors.

steviej.

keep in mind that if the car is to see snow, the 225s will not do as well as the 215s, but the difference may be minimal.

If you don't want to wash your rims and you like the noiseless operation, then stick with Toyota OEM pads and rotors.

steviej.

Steve,

Can't remember here.......have you had any winter time driving with your new Michelins? :unsure:

:cheers:

Steve,

Can't remember here.......have you had any winter time driving with your new Michelins?

Nope, and that has been duely noted whenever I recommend the Exaltos. I have a hunch based on traction in rain that they will do pretty well.

steviej