Replacing Fan Belts

hedyd4u

I need to replace worn fan and a/c belts on my 1996 LX450. Can anyone tell me exactly how?Thank You

Be sure to use OEM belts. You likely with not be happy with the noise level or performance of aftermarket belts. Should be able to get the set for less than $30, the two OEM alternator belts come as a factory matched pair. Replacing belts is not a terribly hard job although the altenator adjustment bolt is kind of a pain to get at. You should consider getting the factory service manual or even a Chilton's or Haynes if your going try to do your own maintenance like this. They'll have all the bolt torque the belt tensioning specs., which you'll want to barrow a belt tensioning guage from a buddy in order to make sure you have them tensioned correctly.

Rookie.

I need to replace worn fan and a/c belts on my 1996 LX450. Can anyone tell me exactly how?Thank You

Be sure to use OEM belts. You likely with not be happy with the noise level or performance of aftermarket belts. Should be able to get the set for less than $30, the two OEM alternator belts come as a factory matched pair. Replacing belts is not a terribly hard job although the altenator adjustment bolt is kind of a pain to get at. You should consider getting the factory service manual or even a Chilton's or Haynes if your going try to do your own maintenance like this. They'll have all the bolt torque the belt tensioning specs., which you'll want to barrow a belt tensioning guage from a buddy in order to make sure you have them tensioned correctly.

Rookie.

Thanks Rookie, Does anyone know where to get a Service Manual for '96 Lexus LX450 or Landcruiser. Nothing available in my area.

Thanks Rookie, Does anyone know where to get a Service Manual for '96 Lexus LX450 or Landcruiser. Nothing available in my area.

If you don't mind spending the time and have a high speed internet line, you can download the FSM from techinfo.toyota.com for a dayly subsription fee of $10. Not a bad way to go, and you can download a bunch useful manuals... electrical wiring diagram, new car features and some other goodies in addition to the factory service manual. The big thing is that all the sections are individual files, so it takes time to download and print them. If you're decent with computers, a guy over at IH8MUD.com wrote a little program that automates the process. You can find it by looking in the FAQ section in 80's/LX 450 tech over there.

Your other option is to order the hardcopy from Toyota Materials Distribution Center. Run a google on Toyota Factory Service Manual, and you should be able to find the number for that. I ordered the landcruiser one a couple of years ago, and it was around 80 bucks.

:cheers:

Rookie

Rookie.

Why even bother looking for the manual in your area? Do a google and you will find MANY companies who sell the manual via the internet. :o

Why even bother looking for the manual in your area? Do a google and you will find MANY companies who sell the manual via the internet. :o

because they're not the same.

the Factory Service Manual and the site that Rookie references contain information that Toyota service technicians actually use. the CD-ROMs are not.

The chiltons manual is okay in a pinch, but comes nowhere close to replacing the FSM.

I wrote the following on the IH8MUD site:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=50979

hopefully it's helpful.