Fuses... Blowing The Same Fuse Repeatedly!?

miaaxo

Hi Everyone -

I have a 99 ES300 and recently blew the fuse the controls the trunk release and dome lights... replaced it, later that day blew again, replace and blew 2 days later.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do about it. I am worried about it being something bigger with the electrical system, any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you have an aftermarket alarm?

No, everything on the car is factory... and was in perfect condition, has not had any work needed ever on electrical system or anything else major recently (tires only).

This morning I noticed that the doors wont lock while the car is on or key in ignition... I hit lock and it pops back to unlocked immediately. Hopefully on the same fuse and I just didn't realize it over the weekend.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm?

No, everything on the car is factory... and was in perfect condition, has not had any work needed ever on electrical system or anything else major recently (tires only).

This morning I noticed that the doors wont lock while the car is on or key in ignition... I hit lock and it pops back to unlocked immediately. Hopefully on the same fuse and I just didn't realize it over the weekend.

You may have a bulb that is intermittently shorting out, or more likely a bulb/socket combination.

That's a safety feature so you don't lock yourself out. :)

• 3 years later...

Hi Everyone -

I have a 99 ES300 and recently blew the fuse the controls the trunk release and dome lights... replaced it, later that day blew again, replace and blew 2 days later.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I can do about it. I am worried about it being something bigger with the electrical system, any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Miaaxo,

I know you post this over 4 years ago. I am wondering if you ever find out what the problem was? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2001 ES300. Before all this happened, I took my car to the dealer to replace timing belt, water pump and drive belt. After the service I am experiencing the same problem you have. I replaced the 7.5 amp fuse and it will blow after driving the car for a day. I replaced the same fuse the 2nd time and it blew again. I took the car back to the dealer and have them look at it. They said they couldn't find any electrical issue. I tried google online but no luck.

If you had this problem resolved your help is greatly appreciated :D

• 3 years later...

I have a similar issue too. My entire dash board is not lit, and my AC doesn't work. When I turn on my blinker, the small green arrows work though. I think I have a short because we changed the fuse and moments later it blew again.

Does anyone know how to fix this particular short? Please and thanks!

I have a similar issue too. My entire dash board is not lit, and my AC doesn't work. When I turn on my blinker, the small green arrows work though. I think I have a short because we changed the fuse and moments later it blew again.

I would agree Autumn. A short of some type and which could be in several systems, is the most likely problem. That being said, finding away for you or someone else to trace it down is the next problem.

Paul

• Like 1

I would agree Autumn. A short of some type and which could be in several systems, is the most likely problem. That being said, finding away for you or someone else to trace it down is the next problem.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

I created a post here with more info if anyone wants to take a look as well. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/80292-car-turns-off-when-idling-all-dash-lights-are-out/

• 3 months later...

When a fuse blows it indicates that there is too much current draw on the circuit, or that there is a direct short in the circuit.

If the fuse just served one electrical item, such as the clock, all by itself, the tracing of the problem would be very simple, and most people could do it. Add several other items into the system and it becomes a nightmare to even suggest where to start looking for the culprit. It is not a fix for an amateur.

You need to find an auto electric shop (they rebuild starters, power seat and heater motors, etc.), a good independent mechanic, or the dealership to have the problem fixed. They are equipped with the wiring diagrams for the car, the test equipment, and the knowledge and expertise needed to trace through the wiring and find the problem. With so many things listed that have shut down on your car that are protected by that fuse, no one online can possibly even begin to suggest a solution.