Check Engine Light And Vsc

REHBEAVIS

Had to make a hard stop. The check engine light and VSC lights came on. Went to auto zone and the analyzer shows a code P1135. Any ideas regarding repairs, etc.? Vehicle is a 2001 RX300 AWD with 71,000 miles. Runs fine. Tried resetting lights but they come right back on. Replaced gas cap.

• 4 weeks later...

Had to make a hard stop. The check engine light and VSC lights came on. Went to auto zone and the analyzer shows a code P1135. Any ideas regarding repairs, etc.? Vehicle is a 2001 RX300 AWD with 71,000 miles. Runs fine. Tried resetting lights but they come right back on. Replaced gas cap.

P1135 sounds like a oxygen sensor.

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto the comment on checking the vacuum hose behind the air filter box. I had the same problem on mine (2002 RX), right after I checked the air filter. Use a flashlight and look carefully, it's a little hard to see, and it was a bit of a tight fit to reach behnd the box and put the hose back on the fitting.

Only thing I would add, if I remember correctly, I had to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and then reconnect, to get the Check Engine and VSC lights to go out.

My car always ran just fine. Drove it that way for a week because the Lexus dealer is 50 miles away and a special trip to get down there. I had an appointment to get it checked, and the service writer said it was not going to harm the engine to drive it that way. Then I found out about this hose problem causing those lights, and fixed it myself.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to this posting I was able to save and solve this simple problem after the oil change and air filter removal. I want to emphasize the point that the battery must be disconnected to reset the check engine light.

After this repair I went underneath to get fimilar with the car, and I saw a hose tube coming from the center what appears to be the transmission. This tube connection was not attached to a hose and I could not find one either. I would like to find access to the exploded views of the RS 300 models.

Does anyone know where I can find access? I am certain the dealers have access and may ask about the tube issue at my locate dealer.

I do not think it is a drain tube and the check engine light is not on now. The tube fitting appeared to have a tube because it looked clean and had marks that looked like a hose may have ben removed during the oil change.

I must add the area around this hose connect was very clean anyway, so I may be worring about a drain/vent type connection.

Again I thank you all that post and help others with their fine Lexus cars and SUVs, solve issues that many of us can follow.

• 4 weeks later...
did you have your oil changed lately? when they check the air filter the hose thats behind the air box sometimes gets disconnected. check it out. almost sure thats it.

Right ON... Yes it was disconnected.. Yes that fixed it...

Thank You.

• 3 months later...
did you have your oil changed lately? when they check the air filter the hose thats behind the air box sometimes gets disconnected. check it out. almost sure thats it.

I did have a oil change and a little while later "Check Engine Light" HUNH,

Cheers, Cheers. This worked perfectly. I first clicked the gas cap again. Just to make sure.

Then I checked behind the filter and there she was hanging around not attached to anything. Like a nerd at a high school prom. Attached the hose back to the airbox,then tackled the fuse box.

The fuse #13 would be under the hood as well close to the airbox and hose area. Took out the fuse waited for about two minutes then re-attached. Crossed fingers, put key in the ignition turned and hooorrray, no Check engine light.

Note: During this whole process the car key should be in your pocket as a reminder not to have it in the ignition.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

The dealer would have had me spend an obscene amount of money for something you could do for almost nothing.

Two Honks for the tips.

Same thing happened to my wifes 2004 rx330. Had oil change and then the next day, check engine, vsc, and trac off came on. Followed the directions here and no more lights. Just an FYI for everyone, if your hoses are loose, there will be two exposed points behind the airbox directly beside the silver engine cover. My hoses had fallen below so I missed it at first.

Thanks again to this forum and post for saving me some dinero!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

This worked like a charm for me. Glad this forum and your post was easily accessible via a quick google search. First hit!.

• 8 months later...

Good call! I just had my oil changed and the VSC light and the engine icon/check light came on. I checked the manual and all it said was to go to a dealer. I thought it was something wrong with the skid control system, which sounded like big bucks. Glad I checked this website. I had just had my oil changed, and of course they pulled the air filter and tried to sell me a new one. When I got home I lifted the hood, and sure 'nuff, there was a hose disconnected behind the air filter box. I reconnected it, disconnected the negative battery cable for a minute, reconnected it, and the problem is gone. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This just happened to me a few hrs ago. Fortunately I have an honest mechanic. He suggested that it may be just loose gas cap (!). Shocking, but it was not fully closed (my 4yr old son helping me to put gas). Within less then 1 minute, all good. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Thank you for all the posts here. It really helped me. I have a 2001 RX300. The check engine and VSC lights appeared on my dash last week. I took my car to the dealer and they told me it was a fault sensor and the cost to repair was $600+. They said it was not necessary to replace. So I looked at the posts here and reset the lights, only to have them come back on. The one thing I did not try was taking the gas cap on and off. Last night, I filled up my car with gas. The “Check Engine and VSC” lights were on. This morning, I turned the car on and they did not come on. They did not come on after some lengthy driving today. There must have been air in the fuel line. Next time I will try all recommended solutions.

Thank you for all the posts here. It really helped me. I have a 2001 RX300. The check engine and VSC lights appeared on my dash last week. I took my car to the dealer and they told me it was a fault sensor and the cost to repair was $600+. They said it was not necessary to replace. So I looked at the posts here and reset the lights, only to have them come back on. The one thing I did not try was taking the gas cap on and off. Last night, I filled up my car with gas. The “Check Engine and VSC” lights were on. This morning, I turned the car on and they did not come on. They did not come on after some lengthy driving today. There must have been air in the fuel line. Next time I will try all recommended solutions.