Gas Smell

I have a 93 SC400 For some reason when I drive it there is a smell of gas somewhere. I only smell it inside the car. I don't know what is the problem. Does anyone have any idea of what happened?

I have a 93 SC400 For some reason when I drive it there is a smell of gas somewhere. I only smell it inside the car. I don't know what is the problem. Does anyone have any idea of what happened?

You may want to start up your engine in Park..look under the hood with a strong flashlight..and check along the fuel rails..and injectors..to make sure you haven't got a leak there..just generally check the whole engine bay for any signs..of Raw gas leaks..drips or whatever..thats where I would start anyway..Good Luck

I know from exp. that there can be problems with the fuel filter threads which is located on the drivers side, in front of the rear wheel. With engine running in park, wheels chauked, parking brake on, check the lines going into the filter with a flashlight. Or if you want just turn the key on ,engine off.

try take the pannel off of the trunk towards the front of the car. you will be able to see the gas tank. look for any visual leaks.

if all else fails get a lighter and have the lighter sniff around lol!j/k

I checked all of the above already. Everything seems to be ok. Are there any things else that I could try?

Jzz30 I haven't try the last step that you told me. But it might be possible if I cannot solve this problem lol

I checked all of the above already. Everything seems to be ok. Are there any things else that I could try?

Jzz30 I haven't try the last step that you told me. But it might be possible if I cannot solve this problem lol

WWGrainger sells a TIF Combustible Gas Detector, Stock No 1A228. Should find a fuel leak, but it ain't cheap at US$210.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever find the problem with the gas smell? I have a 92 SC400 that has the same problem. Tried the filler cap question, but that was not it.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks FRED

• 10 years later...

Just had same problem. Backed out gas cap and realized no vacuum sound when car on E. There should or usually is a vacuum sound while opening cap when close to E. Cleared the rubber gasket around the inside of cap and made sure no debris at rim of tank inlet. Tightened cap 11/2 turns after clicking. Problem solved.

Will also post  what else I solved on my SC 400. Had an annoying rattling/buzzing coming from the right front part of the my Lex when I hit a certain speed. Usually in second gear around 20-25 miles an hour. Recognized this sound as a heat shield  vibration but several  to be found on this model. I noticed when I looked at the heat shield for the passenger-side catalytic converter that it seemed like the edge shouldn't be as close as it was. So with a pair of channel locks I wedged the mouth between the converter and the heat shield and worked my way across  opening the gap evenly until it looked right, or how I thought it should look, being I'm not a mechanic at all...Lol.....Happy to say I fixed it myself in about five minutes and now enjoying the sweet sound of silence. This comes after years of hearing the annoying rattle and even a stop to my local muffler shop, didn't solve the problem.  Chalk up one for the owner!😜