Removing Catalytic Converters?

Hi guys,

I am happy owner of 93' SC 400. I think as car is 13 years old now catalytic converters are toasted already. Other than increasing pressure in exchaust system they don't do anything.

Do you think it is good idea to remove 'em ? Shall it give some little extra power?

If you do not recommend that, please expain why.

Stas,

Latvia EU

I can't have mine on my car and I'm glad they're gone. With your car stock, I dont know if you would notice any difference in power.

The "cat's" burn off HC and CO (un-burned fuel) from the motor. The O2 sensores change from 0v to 5v with the amount of HC (un-burned fuel) in the exhaust passing over them. The ECU reads the O2 sensors and leans out or richnes up the fuel mix to the engine. With Toyota/Lexus the readings that the ECU recives is with a "cat". If the "cat" is missing or damaged it will kick a DTC (diagnostics trouble code) and turn on the "check engin light".

There is no adverse affects to removing or replacing your cat converter...The best flowing cat available that I have seen is a Magnaflow cat 2 into 1, and it flows... Removing your cat will give you a noticeable power gain on a 1993 Sc400, it did on my 1992 Sc400... I was pleasantly suprised with the change....I recommend cat changes on all early model sc400 to the magnaflow cat, for performance and better gas mileage...No additional exhaust noise either...

Ad 2 two high flow resonators for $30 each on ebay and some Magnaflow mufflers in addition to these S@S headers and you will see major power gains like 40hp and save alot of gas...It will be as loud as Camaro or Mustang after....Here are some pics of my exhaust mods and these mods brought my Sc400 to life....those straight thru mufflers you see are megan N1 mufflers and are probably a little to loud for most that is why I suggested the oval magnaflow mufflers... Good luck..

post-13978-1146359254.jpg

post-13978-1146359280.jpg

post-13978-1146359313.jpg

post-13978-1146359346.jpg

post-13978-1146359372.jpg

post-13978-1146359507.jpg

post-13978-1146359914.jpg