Is 250 Oil Filters

Hey, all. I've an IS 250 with about 700 miles on it and plan to change the oil in the next 300-500 miles. Redline 10W-30. Anyone know what oil filters to use? I found 1 ref to a Purolator L25609, but that's it so far. I'd actually like a Purolator Plus or another "premium" filter.

While I'm on the subject - is the filter hard to find? I haven't looked yet. The RX 330 I had leased before had the filter hidden out of sight up under a cooler shroud. Looked for 30 minutes all over/under that car and could NOT find it. Had to search the web to find where it was. BTW - I'm a gear head according to the GF. My fun car is a '73 TR6, and the gas tank is out curing after a slushing. The POR-15 stuff will wear off my hands in a few days....

BB

Hey, all. I've an IS 250 with about 700 miles on it and plan to change the oil in the next 300-500 miles. Redline 10W-30. Anyone know what oil filters to use? I found 1 ref to a Purolator L25609, but that's it so far. I'd actually like a Purolator Plus or another "premium" filter.

While I'm on the subject - is the filter hard to find? I haven't looked yet. The RX 330 I had leased before had the filter hidden out of sight up under a cooler shroud. Looked for 30 minutes all over/under that car and could NOT find it. Had to search the web to find where it was. BTW - I'm a gear head according to the GF. My fun car is a '73 TR6, and the gas tank is out curing after a slushing. The POR-15 stuff will wear off my hands in a few days....

BB

The oil filter is not self contained in a can like most. It's an element that goes into a housing attached to the engine. If you look straight down at the front of the engine, at the bottom you should see a silver cannister. That's the filter housing. You take the cap off the housing and change the filter and O ring and put the cap back on. I'd suggest you go to http://irontoad.com and get genuine Toyota filters, cost about $5 each with the O ring included.

There's a DIY on oil and filter change here:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p=40147...d=1#post4014700

BB

The oil filter is not self contained in a can like most. It's an element that goes into a housing attached to the engine. If you look straight down at the front of the engine, at the bottom you should see a silver cannister. That's the filter housing. You take the cap off the housing and change the filter and O ring and put the cap back on. I'd suggest you go to http://irontoad.com and get genuine Toyota filters, cost about $5 each with the O ring included.

There's a DIY on oil and filter change here:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p=40147...d=1#post4014700

Thanks, bartkat. You know my jaw drooped like a yokel when I saw it was a cartridge filter....

Bartkat,

Any idea on the filter cartridge removal tool? I guess the part # is 09228-06501 and the cost from OTC is $28.81, seems kind of steep. The dealer just called and they want 39.95 for it!!

Bartkat,

Any idea on the filter cartridge removal tool? I guess the part # is 09228-06501 and the cost from OTC is $28.81, seems kind of steep. The dealer just called and they want 39.95 for it!!

I was gonna shop around for one, but haven't got it done yet. One guy measured the tool, and maybe one could be found at a discount parts store.

Heffergm-

Here's a pic of the filter wrench. I measured it at 70mm diameter. Hope this helps. I saw some like this at Wal-Mart for a few bucks. Unfortunately, they weren't the right size (65mm). I'm sure Auto Zone would charge half of what I paid thru Toyota (~$30).

101796966_24054e718f_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If you need oil filters shoot me am e-mail at kcourtright@germainlexus.com and I will tell you what kind of deal I can give you.

Can you tell us what kind of deal you could give us on the tool??

I just called OTC and my price as a dealer is actually $28.81.I could do the filters for $4.50 each.I would like to sell them at a min.qty of 3 for shipping sake.

and before you do, you will read the rules of this site thoroughly about selling any item or even offering a group buy. Right?......of course you will.

steviej

ES/IS Forum Moderator

I get on here to talk and share info about my IS300 and get get talked to like I would talk to my 5 year old son for trying to help some one out.I read the rules and will abide by them but I would appreciate next time a PM instead of a response like the one I just got.

I get on here to talk and share info about my IS300 and get get talked to like I would talk to my 5 year old son for trying to help some one out.I read the rules and will abide by them but I would appreciate next time a PM instead of a response like the one I just got.

since the PM function is not accessable to new members until their post count reaches 20, you would not have been able to read any PM. your quoted post above was post number 16.

in addition, many people try to sell things on forums like this. some for personal profit and some, like you, to just help people out. Unfortunately, it makes no difference, we have no way of telling the difference even by the context of the post. Rules are in place for a reason.

When the rules are pointed out in public forum, the intent is not only to educate the author of the post but also to allow the post to serve as an educational notification to anyone else that may be thinking of posting something for sale. You are not the first to be informed, nor will you be the last.

If you feel your dealership may be capable of supplying members with product at a reduced rate based on the number of interested parties, then please see administration about becoming an authorized vendor on LOC.

Thank you.

steviej

Steviej

You do sound kind of anal, the guy was just helping. FYI you may want to tone your message down a bit. There are political means of communicating with others without sound above another. I am embarassed for the guy..... come on now what the "of course you will" in your message all about??

Steviej

You do sound kind of anal, the guy was just helping. FYI you may want to tone your message down a bit. There are political means of communicating with others without sound above another. I am embarassed for the guy..... come on now what the "of course you will" in your message all about??

Toby, It is called sarcasm. Maybe you would have felt better if I had put one of those :P ;) :) :whistles: after that last comment?

From his first post, it was evident that 05IS300 was associated with a Lexus dealership. Sould he want to offer the membership discounts, then he has to abide by the rules and go through the proper channels the same as other dealerships have.

Toby and 05IS300, should you want to further discuss this, I suggest you take it to PM as you both have access to it now.

steviej

Steviej

Quoting prices and making offers is considered advertising. Besides, the prices weren't any better than other OEM sources. The guy's lucky he didn't get the boot after his first reply to Stevie. Perhaps you're lucky too, after calling a moderator "anal".

Steviej

This is the second time this member has done this and it is entirely innapropriate. Stevie's response was precisely within the guidelines of how moderators are supposed to deal with members who continually push and break the grand total of three rules this site has. If his dealership wants to offer preferred pricing on the site, then thats great he can contact us and we'll set it up.