What Does The Yellow Oil Light Mean?

lito

I just peplaced a lot of things on my '93 ES and now when I start the car I get a Yellow oil light the one that looks like it has waves under the oil can. I was wondering if any one knows what that means. I know the red oil light means that you have low oil pressure which is ususally one of two things 1) Bad oil pump or 2) No Oil... I chacked my engine fluids they seem to be ok... If any one has an owners manual (it should be listed there) please look it up.

Thanks.

Lito

Warning signal of oil can w/ wavy lines = add engine oil

thank you lexusk8, that is odd the dipstick shows full!

what the heck is going on here??? I have 10W30 semi-senthetic oil in there what could be wrong with it? It only lights up when the car gets hot....

Does this yellow light go out when you raise the rpm's of the engine? If it does, this light is probably indicating low oil pressure at idle. Low oil pressure at idle generally happens when the bearings(crankshaft and camshaft) are worn or possibly the oil pump is not working properly.

Does this yellow light go out when you raise the rpm's of the engine? If it does, this light is probably indicating low oil pressure at idle. Low oil pressure at idle generally happens when the bearings(crankshaft and camshaft) are worn or possibly the oil pump is not working properly.

skperformance - my coolant is full I have checked and re-checked it a thousand times ... plus it has an oil can pictured

amf1932 - The light doesn't go out or blink until i shut off the engine and if I start it again it only takes a few seconds to light up and as I mentioned the light comes on only after about 3-5 min or when when the engine warms up... Im really stumped by this one, dont know which angle to approach it from

On my mom's toyota, her OIL light comes on every like 5k or 10k miles to remind you that you need an oil change. and once you get it changed the mechanic is suppose to reset it. could that be the thing???

~ProZac~

On my mom's toyota, her OIL light comes on every like 5k or 10k miles to remind you that you need an oil change. and once you get it changed the mechanic is suppose to reset it. could that be the thing???

~ProZac~

What year toytota does she drive? Does anyone know how to reset those lights?

lito,

My mom has a 92 Previa Van. Her oil light turns on every 5,000 miles. I believe you can rest it by a botton INSIDE the dash by the spedometer. If you can see in this picture, right under where it says MPH, it says "Oil Change" When the light comes on, and we change the oil, you push that botton and it turns off the light untill another 5,000 miles. Now, i have a 97' and it doesn't have that, but since your 93 lex and my mom's 92 previa are about the same age, it might be the same! Let me know! Oh, that black thing on the glass just peels off, and you stick a pen in there to push the botton, then the blackthing pops back on!

Hope that helped,

Brian

post-7-1060104673.jpg

from what you have said, the oil is full (according to the dipstick) and I assume the car is running ok....you haven't seized up.

I can only deduce that the oil level sensor has gone bad. The engine thinks it is out of oil but it is not.

If the pump were bad, then the low pressure light would come on (dripping oil can w/NO waves under it).

I wasn't aware that the ES had an oil change reminder light. ProZac, your picture and suggestions are excellent. I must note that the Previa dash has a light specific for "oil change".

If they carried that option to the ES, then I would hope they kept the idiot light, too.

steviej

thanks steviej,

that would have been my next move to start checking the sensors, there are a million of them on these cars... as for the oil change light there is no such thing that I have seen on my es... oh well more diging around... this car is starting do drive me nuts.

i dont think we have the oil change light option.if the light is on and your sure the oil is full then i would say its most likely the sensor because if it was your oil pump you would know it!car would start pinging then eventully freeze up.

here is an odd though

if it is not the sensor

maybe it is the pump

that is giving adequate pressure under idle

but when sped up it cannot sustain any pressure possible because of wear on the blades

and the ecu recognizes that and throws on the light

so even with full oil ,the car is being starved for oil especially at the upper portions

another thoght is maybe your oil filter is plugged and causeing a blockage

just a thought

skperformance - im suspecting the pump as well reason being is that I had to take it off and then re-install it when i was working on my engine I'm thinking I might have a bit much silicone to seal it and might have cloged some passage ways partially because oil is getting to the valves, you can see it when you take the oil cap off. im not sure if that is so though and I really dont want to take it all apart again. :angry: The thing is it didnt gave me that light before the repairs.

On a diferent note, my power steering is not working properly either, could it be linked in any way? I understand that it is a self bleeding system just move the steering wheel from one end to the other and that should get rid of air in the hoses.

Im so burned out by this ES :blink:

o boy the truth comes out!!lol.you didnt say you toke the pump out and it was fine before hand.i would say it is something to do with what work you did to the car since i read this.try taking it out again and see.you might kill your motor if your driving it with a pump thats not pumping corect.

about the gasket - there isn't one! The factory used silicone to seal the oil pump. also i have rebuilt this engine so I had to buy an engine kit which also did not have oil pump gasket. I have not been driving this car with those symptoms so I dont think the motor will sustain any damage, I had it idle for as long as 3 hours one time, but you're right at higher RPM's the oil pump (if it is indeed the problem) wouldn't supply enough oil to the cams... aaarrrgggg I'll have to remove it again, what a pain. :wacko: