Gx470 Problems - Is This Vehicle A Lemon?

Atlantaguy

I purchased a new GX470 about 6 weeks ago and it has been riddled with problems. Currently the vehicle has been at the dealership for over a week and they have told me they have called a Lexus rep in to diagnose the cause of the problems. Has anyone else experienced this kind of trouble with a GX470? The vehicle only has 2,000 miles on it. I am ready to give it back to Lexus! Any suggestions?

Problems

1. Air compressor turns off when idling for a while at a red light. Dealership said Lexus just discovered this problem, but does not have a fix yet.

2. Audio system (Navigation with Mark Levinsion) works periodically. Most of the time the system will not come on, intensely loud electrical sounds come from the speakers. This even happens when the system is turned off! Dealership says they don't know what the problem is.

3. After the vehicle stops, the transmission has a delayed shift (or thump sound). Dealership thinks this is normal.

4. The driver's side outside mirror vibrates so bad at 65mph, you can’t see traffic.

5. When the audio system worked, the tweeter in the driver's door vibrates.

Hi frustrated GX owner,

See my July 10 posting as well of problems I've experienced. I'm *BLEEP*ed as well. Pay attention to my problems i've experienced and see if you have them as well. However, Your problems I haven't seen yet on my vehicle. Hows about your gas mileage.CIty /Hwy.

Take a look at other postings on other members put as far as other complaints. I think that thump you have when stopping is mentioned in one of the members postings.

I've been fighting with the dealership to get things fixed. Unfortunately, if they don't duplicate a problem, then they can't do anything with it. Which sucks. I'm still being forward with Lexus, because it is an expensive car, and should't expect to get this type of service or vehicle problems.

Let us know if you run into other problems you can share.

Al

I also have a new GX 470 and have that same thump issue when coming to a stop. I haven't had problems with my Mark Levinson stereo system, but I do notice that sometimes when I get into my car, the volume setting is not the same as where I left it when I turned off the car. Meaning, I would have it on volume 12 and turn off the car. Get back in the car and the volume would be at 2. I also get weird ticking noises in my glass on the side that the sun hits.

I was told that this car is the same engine as the LX 470. Do you know if the LX owners experience the same problems.

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer kept my GX for about 10 days...this is the results...

The "thump" in the transmission is normal according to them - although I think I am hearing the sound more frequently.

A wire in the harness to the amp came loose so they replaced the amp and wire - radio is working at the moment.

They admitted that Lexus just became aware of the air conditioning problem and will probably have a campaign later for this repair. In the meantime, they recharged the freon and removed some of the plastic fender well so more air can flow to the compressor. When idling for a while on summer days the compressor does not get enough air flow and therefore cycles on/off frequently. This results in warm air blowing in the interior.

One new item I just noted - the driver's seat squeaks and rattles.

I love my GX - but I am very frustrated with the quality of this $51k vehicle. This is my first Lexus and probably my last. It is beyond me how Lexus is ranked number one in quality.

:unsure: Make them buy the SOB back. They are buying a bunch back, I understand they are going to send them to the crusher. Mine went back. Have owned 5 previous and this is the only lemon out of the bunch. The lemonaid was even sour lol.

• 4 months later...

The A/C isn't working at the red light because there aren't enough air flow through the condensor. We put another fan in and it works beautiful. I would wait another year or two before buying the GX470.

www.jpimportz.org

I'm amazed at how quickly folks are ready to trash a car and a company over some minor problems. There are people here suggesting Lexus buy back a vehicle because there's a barely perceptible vibration in the steering wheel between 1700-2200rpms. I own a GX and I realize it's not perfect. But if you guys would check the boards for any other manufacturer at Edmunds or any other site, you'd see that your GX problems pale in comparison to the major mechanical and electrical problems people are having with other $50K vehicles.

After I had owned a BMW X5 for a year, I read the X5 boards at Edmunds and was stunned by how many people there were trashing BMW and the X5 for being the worst car they'd ever had. We had one issue with the car not recognizing the key and not starting. Dealer fixed it right away.

I don't understand how people think a loose radio amp wire, a knock, a mirror vibrating, and a fan working intermittently constitutes a lemon and a buy back. I think people have some unrealistic expectations about Lexus and any other car for that matter.

I strongly encourage you to spend some time reading the boards for the X5, M-class, Touareg, Escalade, Navigator, Land Rover, etc...and then report back how serious these problems seem in comparison. I've had the knock once and just the thought of it occurring bothers me, and I'm sure I'd be frustrated if I'd had all of the problems you have, but you may want to look at the bigger picture.

I have searched every Lexus forum I can find on the net, and read all the complaints I could find, all before buying the GX. Not once did I find anyone who had reported a mechanical or electrical problem that interfered with the actual functioning or safety of the vehicle. 95% of the complaints are the clunk, the vibration, and inaccurate temperature gauge (not engine temp, ambient temp). I would say that's pretty good. But that's just my viewpoint. :wacko:

JPI, I keep waiting for that perfect vehicle to evolve, which one is it? It seems like after a few generations one of these cars would be perfect, right?

That's nice you got lucky with yours. However, if I can buy a $20,000 Firebird, and a $17,000 Civic and drive each for 90,000 miles with only oil changes and absolutely no failures of any kind, then one might expect to buy a $50,000 Lexus and not have such problems as have been mentioned.

I have a 2003 GX. I have 6k miles on it. It has been in the shop 5 time so far. This is NOT acceptable for a Lexus, at least that is my opinion. The thump in the rear end is NOT a minor thing. Your GX must not have developed the thump yet. Once you do report back and say it is Minor. I think you will change your opinion very quickly

I concur.

I have had my GX in for service 7 times in three months. TWICE for M/L system problems, TWICE for the driveline vibration problems, THREE times for the driveline clunking problems. Also during those visits had the inaccrate temp. gauge, creecking seats, and a pulling to the left hand side when I accelarated worked on.

Now Jacksonian that may be acceptable to you, but it is not acceptable to me. We as Lexus customers pay a premium for a Luxury vehicle, the Lexus name, and the reliability that is supposed to go with it.

If in fact you do think that is acceptable Jacksonian, then it is people like you who justify to the manufactors that releasing a shotty product and charging a premium for it is ok.

I for one will not curl up in a ball and accept this type of shotty product. I am one appointment away from filing a lemon law case on my GX and I will win too.

That's nice you got lucky with yours. However, if I can buy a $20,000 Firebird, and a $17,000 Civic and drive each for 90,000 miles with only oil changes and absolutely no failures of any kind, then one might expect to buy a $50,000 Lexus and not have such problems as have been mentioned.

Civic with no problems? Honda transmission break down ALL THE TIME. May be you are lucky.

www.jpimportz.org

That's nice you got lucky with yours.  However, if I can buy a $20,000 Firebird, and a $17,000 Civic and drive each for 90,000 miles with only oil changes and absolutely no failures of any kind, then one might expect to buy a $50,000 Lexus and not have such problems as have been mentioned.

Civic with no problems? Honda transmission break down ALL THE TIME. May be you are lucky.

www.jpimportz.org

Please provide breakdown statistics for 98 through 2001 Civic with automatic transmission.

thanks.

What is a "Lemon?"

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a lemon as: "One that is or proves to be unsatisfactory…" (Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, 2nd College Ed., © 1985). However, in an effort to further define such a broad term, the Lemon Law attempts to define certain situations which entitle consumers to their money back or a new vehicle. In a nutshell, any defect or nonconformity, or combination of defects, which is/are not repaired within a reasonable number of attempts or a reasonable amount of time, may entitle you to lemon law relief. Your vehicle does not have to be breaking down to be considered a lemon. In short, if you are aggravated enough to be reading this you may have a lemon.

http://www.autofacts.ca/legalservices.htm

GX 470 Technical Service Bulletins.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/03740614.html

What does it mean that a TSB has been issued. Does that mean they recognize the problem and they have a fix??

Yes it usually does. The dealer should be able to reference the TSB number and get the info on the recommended fix. Lexus issues the bulletins to all dealers, so they should be able to look them up.

There also may be other TSB's since that site was updated.

As an example there was a TSB on 2001 and early 2002 IS300's that pertained to a sluggish auto transmision shifit ing problem. The fix was a reflash of the ECU to an improved program. When mine was done they actually put a sticker on the underside of the hood with the TSB number and the date that it was done and the dealer who had done it.

Lexus seems to be pretty good at documenting the problems and the fixes.

What is a "Lemon?"

The American Heritage Dictionary defines a lemon as: "One that is or proves to be unsatisfactory…" (Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, 2nd College Ed., © 1985). However, in an effort to further define such a broad term, the Lemon Law attempts to define certain situations which entitle consumers to their money back or a new vehicle. In a nutshell, any defect or nonconformity, or combination of defects, which is/are not repaired within a reasonable number of attempts or a reasonable amount of time, may entitle you to lemon law relief. Your vehicle does not have to be breaking down to be considered a lemon. In short, if you are aggravated enough to be reading this you may have a lemon.

http://www.autofacts.ca/legalservices.htm

Not sure where you live, but in California the laws are pretty specific. Do a search on lemon laws in your state and it should tell you.

I know them for California, as I have successfully lemon lawed two vehicles in the past and won both cases. However that is too much to type.

Anyway good luck.

GX 470 Technical Service Bulletins.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/03740614.html

What does it mean that a TSB has been issued. Does that mean they recognize the problem and they have a fix??

Yes it usually does. The dealer should be able to reference the TSB number and get the info on the recommended fix. Lexus issues the bulletins to all dealers, so they should be able to look them up.

There also may be other TSB's since that site was updated.

As an example there was a TSB on 2001 and early 2002 IS300's that pertained to a sluggish auto transmision shifit ing problem. The fix was a reflash of the ECU to an improved program. When mine was done they actually put a sticker on the underside of the hood with the TSB number and the date that it was done and the dealer who had done it.

Lexus seems to be pretty good at documenting the problems and the fixes.

So if I have any of the problems listed in the TSB's, I should be able to go to Lexus and they should know the fix without any problems? Should I quote the TSB or something?

Thanks for the info, but it is terrible that the customer has to tell the dealer about the TSB....at least my opinion.

gx470forme, You've already lemon lawed 2 vehicles and you're working on your 3rd? Are you serious? What do you think are the odds of you being the recipient of 3 lemons? What's the common denominator in all 3 of those cases?

Yeah, I'm one of those consumers that likes to pay $50k for shotty products. Come on, that's stupid. I expect a great car for that kind of money and you should too. But you can't expect perfection and I just think some of these complaints are drastically blown out of proportion.

If the GX is such a horrible vehicle riddled with so many problems and Lexus is so awful for not fixing them to your satisfaction, why did you buy it? Didn't you do any research? I read every complaint on every forum I could find before buying, didn't you? Not one of the complaints that people have listed here is new to me, I heard them all before I bought mine 2 months ago.

gx470forme, You've already lemon lawed 2 vehicles and you're working on your 3rd?  Are you serious?  What do you think are the odds of you being the recipient of 3 lemons?  What's the common denominator in all 3 of those cases? 

Yeah, I'm one of those consumers that likes to pay $50k for shotty products.  Come on, that's stupid.  I expect a great car for that kind of money and you should too.  But you can't expect perfection and I just think some of these complaints are drastically blown out of proportion.

If the GX is such a horrible vehicle riddled with so many problems and Lexus is so awful for not fixing them to your satisfaction, why did you buy it?  Didn't you do any research?  I read every complaint on every forum I could find before buying, didn't you?  Not one of the complaints that people have listed here is new to me, I heard them all before I bought mine 2 months ago.

1st Lemon law case - 01 Corvette Z06, to many problems to list but the major ones were Excessive oil loss (GM TSB replace rings in cylinders), total brake failure (luckily not while it was being driven), total clutch failure, ABS/traction control/activing handling systems malfunctions X3, etc. the list goes on and on. Very fast car and handled better than anything stock under 100K, but very weak quality and service. Epecially didn't like my engine being torn into with only 10K miles by the local dealership service monkies

2nd lemon law case - 00 Dodge Dakota 4X4, would stall going from Reverse to Drive, dealer tryed 4 times to fix it and couldn't.

This is the reason I went to Lexus, as people raved about how good they are, and they are at least customer service wise and car wise too, just not the GX. Just my luck.

Yes I did my research and a lot of these problems were not well known back then. I even went to the Lexus event that they put on to show the off-road capabilities of the GX.

Can a pre-owned Lexus be a Lemon? I'm having problems with my GX that they can't or won't fix. The sulpher smell is so bad that my kids refuse to ride in the back. The dealer told me "The Lemon laws don't even apply to you!" I never had even thoght of the lemon laws. And what about Lemon-Laundering?

:cheers: I agree bartcat! he must have just got lucky, sometimes tose kind don't know Jack____. ROTFFLMAO! :D :D

• 2 weeks later...