Gs300 Speakers

Recently bought a pre owned GS300. Love the car!! However, I've noticed that the speakers dont seem to be all that great when playing the radio. With a CD its better, but if you have too much bass, the sub in the rear deck distorts.

Are my speakers shot, or is this the norm for a non-nakamichi or whatever primo stereo? Ours is just the stock system.

If that is how it is, where can I find better quality replacement speakers?? I tried Crutchfield, but couldnt find anything. :(

The standard factory radio looks good but it doesn't sound very good (personal opinion). Good news though, the front doors can hold 5 and 1/4 inch (depth is the issue) component . Dump the enclosure, it only holds a 4 inch driver but when removed there is plenty of space with a simple adapter you can fabricate. The same goes for the rear, except that it can hold 6.5 inch drive. I put in Boston Acoustic components and they sound good. The rear sub is also garbage. Now you can go wild and crazy like the kids do and take out your trunk, or fabricate a decent size enclosure with a single ten attached to the rear deck that will give you plenty of bass but still leave most of the trunk (thats what I did). Now the hard part is deciding on whether or not to change out the factory unit. In my case, I didn't and used speaker level adapters to power an extra decent size amplifier for all the speakers; however, the factory head unit has no loudness compensation. Its difficult to get the bass response just right, especially if you like to turn your music up. The other down side is the adapters have more distortion, and you can hear it when you turn it up (sounds like hard clipping). Sound Domain Audio provides a very nice DIN dash kit if you wish to replace the factory head unit with something sonically better that looks ok. I am not aware of anyone that makes an adapter for the Lexus changer in the glove box, so it will also need to be replace if you go that route. If you just want to replace the speakers and stay with the factory system, including no additional amplifier, thats probably not a bad way to improve your sound. Its really easy to replace the door speakers, really easy. In retrospect, I would have not bought the extra amplifier for the reasons above. Good luck.

• 1 year later...