'98 Es300 Struts

exdotcomer

Hello,

Can you just replace the strut cartridges instead of buying the whole assembly?

I went to 3 places here in Florida - Midas wants 800 to install and replace 4 struts and includes wheel alignment. A second no name garage wanted 1100 for the same thing. Lexus of Melbourne wanted about 1800. for the same thing.

what are your thoughts?

i'm not interested in lowering the ride, I just want it back to factory specs.

thanks!

:cheers:

Hey exdotcomer, I remember you in Connecticut (I lived in Danbury). Did you just move down to FL? I'm down here as well, in Orlando (just moved here since August) B) Gotten bored of doing the daily grind in CT, and decided on going to business school here in sunny Florida. How's that for a change of pace? :D ;)

Anyway, regarding your situation, are your struts showing signs of wear or leakage (especially near the strut mount)? If so, it's a good sign that the entire strut assembly (not including the spring) needs to be replaced. In fact, I just got my rear struts from my '01 ES replaced the other day. Here's a quick rundown:

- Allied Tire originally quoted me $631 for Monroe rear struts (their store parts) install and 4-wheel alignment. I politely declined ;)

- Instead, I went on Ebay and won a bid for a set of brand new Gabriel rear struts (OEM for the Toyota Camry, Avalon and Lexus ES300). It was $87, plus $20 shipping. Total for parts = $107.

- I brought the parts back to Allied, and they installed the struts for me and also did a full alignment. Took 3 hrs labor time. Total labor and alignment cost = $355.

- In total, I spent just a little over $460 for new rear struts and alignment. I can't imagine what the cost would be if I were to bring my car to a Lexus dealership! :lol:

As an added note of caution, I would think twice about taking the car to Midas to have it worked on. My last Midas trip was one of the worst. It's a long story, but it was about a nail in my tire, and a broken wheel lock. I'm sure you can figure out the details in the middle ;)

-Doug

hey Doug,

yeah i just moved down here to Cocoa!

No more winters! My under carraige is just shot with rust- I exagerate, but it looks nasty.

These strut problems are killing me. especially since I can't trust any shop down here.

I'll give you an example- my dad took his rx300 purchased at Lexus of melbourne for a tire rotation and oil change.

It took them all day- but we had a loaner , so no big deal.

The next day we pick it up and thet paperwork said conventional oil change(they told me they only use synthetic on all oil changes there, but since it was free they used convential?) and the tires were rotated.

well, the rims were not as my dad had marked them and they were on the same side.they never touched them.

Needless to say, my dad was livid.If you can't trust them for that, how do we know they even changed the oil.

They rotated the rims there and I heard the tech ask- "how did he know?">

unreal.

and of course they failed to give us the sheet that asks customers how their service was, you know, the one for the hd power award.

• 1 year later...