Rx300 Rear Door / Rear Lift Gate Issue

Hi RX-ers

I've tried to search on this issue but haven't found any topics discussing my particular issue. The basic issue is when I open my rear door (lift gate) of my 01 RX300, the door opens to about 80% of the regular height just fine, but the last 20% it opens REALLY slowly.

When I came home from the store this weekend, I unloaded the first shipment of goods from the rear cargo area. When I came back 20 seconds later for the second shipment, I hit my head on the rear door cause it wasn't fully opened. :chairshot:

I was thinking about spraying some WD 40 or something, but not sure if this will work. I looked closely at the hydraulic pump (that opens the rear door) and it says there is some gas contained within there. :wacko:

Any ideas on what I can do? Do I have to buy a new hydraulic pump thing-a-majig? (or actually two of them - one for each side?) I only have 61K miles on the car..i think this isn't under warranty anymore though which is 4 yrs/ 50K i believe.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hi RX-ers

I've tried to search on this issue but haven't found any topics discussing my particular issue.  The basic issue is  when I open my rear door (lift gate) of my 01 RX300, the door opens to about 80% of the regular height just fine, but the last 20% it opens REALLY slowly. 

When I came home from the store this weekend,   I unloaded the first shipment of goods from the rear cargo area.  When I came back 20 seconds later for the second shipment, I hit my head on the rear door cause it wasn't fully opened. :chairshot: 

I was thinking about spraying some WD 40 or something, but not sure if this will work.  I looked closely at the hydraulic pump (that opens the rear door) and it says there is some gas contained within there. :wacko:

Any ideas on what I can do?  Do I have to buy a new hydraulic pump thing-a-majig? (or actually two of them - one for each side?)  I only have 61K miles on the car..i think this isn't under warranty anymore though which is 4 yrs/ 50K i believe.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

You need 2 rear hatch lift supports. Bad news is the dealer gets about $500 for 2 installed and no aftermarket companies make them to fit the RX. There is a outfit in Canada that rebuilds them but shippping back and forth accross the border is more of a hassle than it is worth.

You can get oem ones from an online Lexus dealer for about $128 each. Here is a link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808

Hi RX-ers

I've tried to search on this issue but haven't found any topics discussing my particular issue.  The basic issue is  when I open my rear door (lift gate) of my 01 RX300, the door opens to about 80% of the regular height just fine, but the last 20% it opens REALLY slowly. 

When I came home from the store this weekend,  I unloaded the first shipment of goods from the rear cargo area.  When I came back 20 seconds later for the second shipment, I hit my head on the rear door cause it wasn't fully opened.:chairshot: 

I was thinking about spraying some WD 40 or something, but not sure if this will work.  I looked closely at the hydraulic pump (that opens the rear door) and it says there is some gas contained within there.:wacko:

Any ideas on what I can do?  Do I have to buy a new hydraulic pump thing-a-majig? (or actually two of them - one for each side?)  I only have 61K miles on the car..i think this isn't under warranty anymore though which is 4 yrs/ 50K i believe.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

You need 2 rear hatch lift supports. Bad news is the dealer gets about $500 for 2 installed and no aftermarket companies make them to fit the RX. There is a outfit in Canada that rebuilds them but shippping back and forth accross the border is more of a hassle than it is worth.

You can get oem ones from an online Lexus dealer for about $128 each. Here is a link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808

Do you guys know if this is covered under warranty?

I emailed Fremont lexus about this issue. I got a response back from the appointment coordinator. Her exact reply was "I don't think this is covered under warranty. The warranty period is for 4 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first.".....AHHH..what a crock =[

I emailed Fremont lexus about this issue.  I got a response back from the appointment coordinator.  Her exact reply was "I don't think this is covered under  warranty. The warranty period is for 4 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first.".....AHHH..what a crock =[

I have to get them, replaced just before my warranty ends (i have 5 more years with the CPO + extra 2 years i got) :D

I love the warranty!

The warranty was wonderful on most of my issues with this car, but I got no action on those lifts. They are worse when it is cold. I just got used to "helping" them go all the way up and also being patient because they sure take their time. Ironically, on the 400h the problem is that you can't adjust how high the rear door goes up. It just goes all the way up hitting some people's garage door openers.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this link I think it will be very useful to many members. By the by, shipping to and from Canada using USPS isnt too tough, it just requires a small form to be filled out (if your shipping to) and handed in when you drop of the package at the PO. I do it pretty regularly.

• 9 years later...

The "Strong Arm" brand of lift supports - model number 6102 fits the RX 300 perfectly. I bought a pair off of Amazon for $46.30 and installed them on my wife's '01 RX in less than 30 minutes.