Replacement Keys

bluestu

I'm tired of discussing transmissions, so on a lighter note: I purchased a replacement RX300 key with programming instructions off eBay for $65.00. I had a local locksmith cut it for $20.00, and to my surprize, it works great!!! It was real easy to progam both the remote and transponder, and the key looks just like the original except it has the Denso logo under the big L. I also purchased a replacement shell with an uncut key blade for $25.00. I had it cut and took the transponder from my broken key and put it in the replacement, and it fit perfectly. The key looks the same, but doesn't have anything written on it, which is fine with me. Since I live 75mi. from the nearest Lexus dealer, this sure saved me a lot of time and money!!!

I'm tired of discussing transmissions, so on a lighter note: I purchased a replacement RX300 key with programming instructions off eBay for $65.00. I had a local locksmith cut it for $20.00, and to my surprize, it works great!!! It was real easy to progam both the remote and transponder, and the key looks just like the original except it has the Denso logo under the big L. I also purchased a replacement shell with an uncut key blade for $25.00. I had it cut and took the transponder from my broken key and put it in the replacement, and it fit perfectly. The key looks the same, but doesn't have anything written on it, which is fine with me. Since I live 75mi. from the nearest Lexus dealer, this sure saved me a lot of time and money!!!

I just got a replacement key for one of my other cars, a Pontiac Vibe, at Walmart, total cost 97 cents. I hope I never need one for the RX.

How did you get the key out of the plastic head?/ Or maybe yours is different than mine. I have a 96 es 300 and my little black button doesnt open,close doors so I bought another key on ebay thinking I could switch key blades if the remote could be programed,but I have no idea how to get the old key blade out. ANY SUGESTIONS ANYONE?/ :blink:

The key blade and plastic head don't separate. If your remote doesn't work, it is most likely a dead battery inside the remote. The owners manual tells you how to change the battery. You cannot program the remote or transponder unless you have the programing instructions. My instructions came with the uncut key I purchased off eBay. I had a local locksmith cut the key for me, and I used the instructions to program the remote and transponder.

The key blade and plastic head don't separate. If your remote doesn't work, it is most likely a dead battery inside the remote. The owners manual tells you how to change the battery. You cannot program the remote or transponder unless you have the programing instructions. My instructions came with the uncut key I purchased off eBay. I had a local locksmith cut the key for me, and I used the instructions to program the remote and transponder.

I know I have a new reprogramable key but want to put my good key on the new head that unlocks my doors as mine doesnt work.

Since you can't separate the key blade from the plastic shell, try taking the remote/transponder from your new key and transfer it to the shell of your old key that is already cut. There should be a screw on the shell that allows you to access and remove the remote with the buttons, unless your key is different from my RX300 key. Your only other option is to have have a locksmith cut your new key if it has an uncut key blade. I see a lot of keys for sale on eBay, where the key blade is already cut. Those keys would be for someone who just wants the remote part inside the shell.

Since you can't separate the key blade from the plastic shell, try taking the remote/transponder from your new key and transfer it to the shell of your old key that is already cut. There should be a screw on the shell that allows you to access and remove the remote with the buttons, unless your key is  different from my RX300 key. Your only other option is to have have a locksmith cut your new key if it has an uncut key blade. I see a lot of keys for sale on eBay, where the key blade is already cut. Those keys would be for someone who just wants the remote part inside the shell.

Well I reprogramed my new ebay key to open / lock my doors but now I have two keys one to open doors and one to turn on car . I guess things could be worse. lol I looked to pull out the unit inside my key head but figured if i ruined it I wouldnt have a remote for my doors anymore so I have decided to stick with two keys for now. My key just has the button on the side of the head and it really doesnt look like that round unit will come out to easy inside it. If anyone has actually concured this feet I would like to hear about it and thanks for all the help everyone. :cheers:

I've pulled those remotes out many times. You won't hurt it by taking it out and transferring it to your other key. I'll bet if you replace the battery in the one that doesn't work, it will work again. Then you can have your new key cut and you'll have two keys.

I've pulled those remotes out many times. You won't hurt it by taking it out and transferring it to your other key. I'll bet if you replace the battery in the one that doesn't work, it will work again. Then you can have your new key cut and you'll have two keys.

Good to know I just did'nt feel like getting the new remote to work then ruining it ya know? I will look at the remote that doesnt work and if it comes out ok I may give it a whirl. thanks for the help bluestu.... :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Blustu,

I think I bought a key for my 2001 RX300 from the same seller on E-Bay. I was able to program the key to open and lock the doors, but the instruction to program the transponder do not seem to be working. Did you follow them exactly as they were written? I am following method CC. Thanks.

Anoninla

P.S. The key looks great - now if I can just get it to start the car I will be extremely happy!

Blustu,

I think I bought a key for my 2001 RX300 from the same seller on E-Bay. I was able to program the key to open and lock the doors, but the instruction to program the transponder do not seem to be working. Did you follow them exactly as they were written? I am following method CC. Thanks.

Anoninla

P.S. The key looks great - now if I can just get it to start the car I will be extremely happy!

CC didn't work for me either. You have to use BB. It took me a while to figure that out.

I have a few other questions about programming a replacement key for a 2001 RX300. Everything works fine now, but I might have to add another master key in the future if one is lost or broken (I have 2 now, one of the two is a replacement).

I was told that the vehicle memory can only store 3 transponder keys - does that include the valet key? The manual says it can store 4 keys - perhaps this means 1 valet and 3 master keys? If I delete all the keys from the car's memory except my current master key does that include deleting the valet key? Is the valet key reprogrammed the same way as the master keys? Thanks.

I have four keys programmed for each of my RXs. Only one of my cars has a valet key and I'm assuming that you can program it the same as a master. When I first received the programming instructions, I deleted all but the master on one of my cars (the one without the valet key), thinking that the computer might be full. I eventually figured out that I was using the wrong programming method.

I really like being able to program my own keys since there is not a Lexus dealer in my area. I've bought several replacement shells from Rocketkeys on eBay for $25.00. They cut the keys for an additional $10.00. You can purchase the transponder remotes for around $25.00 on eBay. The total cost is around $60.00 for a replacement key that is much more durable than the original.

I have four keys programmed for each of my RXs. Only one of my cars has a valet key and I'm assuming that you can program it the same as a master. When I first received the programming instructions, I deleted all but the master on one of my cars (the one without the valet key), thinking that the computer might be full. I eventually figured out that I was using the wrong programming method.

I really like being able to program my own keys since there is not a Lexus dealer in my area. I've bought several replacement shells from Rocketkeys on eBay for $25.00. They cut the keys for an additional $10.00. You can purchase the transponder remotes for around $25.00 on eBay. The total cost is around $60.00 for a replacement key that is much more durable than the original.

I just bought a key off of ebay from MYKEYLESS.COM for $35. All I had to do was pop in the guts (electronic buttons, which the responder is located) and have the key cut ($25). It was too easy. It even has the Lexus logo on the key. I liked it so much I will buy another one. You should try this if you have not damaged the guts on the inside of the key.

• 2 years later...

Blustu,

Anoninla

CC didn't work for me either. You have to use BB. It took me a while to figure that out.

how can i get the programming instructions for a new valet key? i have the original, but have lost all the master keys. thanks

Blustu,

Anoninla

how can i get the programming instructions for a new valet key? i have the original, but have lost all the master keys. thanks

Here you go:

http://www.toy-lex.com/programming11.html

• 3 weeks later...

Blustu,

Anoninla

Here you go:

http://www.toy-lex.com/programming11.html

i tried the programming instriuctions w/o success. any thoughts? thanks

• 2 months later...

Bluestu,

There are some Ebay and other companies which sell the Lexus RX300 keys which my lovely wife occasionally loses, but I am unable to locate Rocketkeys and I haven't found a seller who provides the programming directions. All that I located say that you have to use your dealer to program the key and you have to have it cut. I called our dealer, and they want $75 to program it, and they can't cut it. The dealer provides key cutting information to Lexus, and the key is cut by Lexus and returned to the dealer for programming. Uncut keys with the remote electronics are available on-line from about $70 and up. Any suggestions?

Here's the guys e-mail address who sells and cuts the keys. mikehyde44@yahoo.com I bought the blanks from him and he cut them for me also. They work great. I don't know what happened on eBay. Maybe Lexus didn't like people selling their programming instructions.

Here's the guys e-mail address who sells and cuts the keys. mikehyde44@yahoo.com I bought the blanks from him and he cut them for me also. They work great. I don't know what happened on eBay. Maybe Lexus didn't like people selling their programming instructions.

Bluestu,

Thanks! I'll contact Mike.

bluestu,

I am looking for a key like you did on ebay. There is not a way you can post the instructions you got with you key could you? It would be a nice thing for us to have on the board, maybe make it a sticky post or something?

Jason