Gas Tank Slow To Fill

mckellyb

This might seem like a good thing, given fuel prices of late, however, I've found I have to hold the gas nozzle in just the right way to put gasoline into the tank.

The tip is near the outer edge and is touching the bottom of the tube. This is new since we removed the car from storage a week ago. Made for some interesting fuel stops in the middle of the night while returning to Vegas from Dallas.

This is a 2002 AWD RX, FWIW, 34K miles on it.

It smacks of a clogged vent tube, or maybe a pinched one, but I don't want to go digging into it if someone else has already figured it out. I've seen fuel come out of the vent tube holes near the tank opening, right as it shuts off because it's being filled 'too quickly', so I don't think they're 100% clogged, but I'd believe 80%.

To put it another way, with the gas nozzle in the fill tube as you'd normally do it, I can't hold the handle at the slowest setting for more than a few seconds before it clicks off.

Ideas?

What kills me is, this is a nearly identical problem to one I had on a postitively evil 1980 Ford F-100, not F-150, pickemup. That truck all by itself put Ford on the short list of manufacturers from which I'll never, ever own another vehicle. Suzuki is also on that short list, thanks to the '99 Grand Vitara I'm still working bugs out of.

I can't ell you why it is happaning on your car or not, but if this helps....

I have three cars..

84 Saab 900

91 LS400

88 Full size Ford Bronco

I buy gas in California, Nevada and Arizona.

At some pumps I can not get the gas to go at full flow without finding just the right way to hold it.

On the Saab, holding it 45 degrees to the right with no slack on the hose sweems to work.

On the LS It is 45 degress to the Left

On the ford it is upside down.

It only happens at some pumps and not others. It is a real pain in the .... I see it as an problem with the pump and not the cars.

I think you will find out you are not alone.

It only happens at some pumps and not others.  It is a real pain in the ....  I see it as an problem with the pump and not the cars.

I think you will find out you are not alone.

I thought that, initially, but it didn't do it when we were in Oregon, which is the land of you-can't-pump-your-own-gasoline, and I know the pump jockeys didn't have to stand and hold it at any odd angles.

Plus, this happens at all pumps, regardless of state or type of station. Also, more than once, I filled our other car, a '99 Suzuki GV with the same nozzle. I'd fill them both at the same pump if I could have one on each side of the pump. Never even returned the nozzle to the pump until topping them both off, unless the pump shut off at some predetermined $ point. Like $75. Annoying 'feature' that is...even more so when I'm filling the 90 gallon diesel tank on our motorhome.

At least now, having escaped Oregon, I can pump my own fuel, again. I'll have to dig around by the tank and see if there is a way to pull one end of the vent hose off the tank and then blow air through it to make sure it's clear.