2005 Vs. 2006 Hp Rating

a990dna

I realize this may be insignificant, but why did the HP rating go from 270HP in the 2005s to 263HP in 2006s?

Seems a bit odd.... the MPG ratings are the same so they didn't make a change to improve gas mileage.

Unless of course the 2005 rating was reported in error...

I think the torque values may have changed some also...

Anyone have the inside story on this?

I noticed the same thing. -- Was it overstated in 05

I realize this may be insignificant, but why did the HP rating go from 270HP in the 2005s to 263HP in 2006s?

Seems a bit odd.... the MPG ratings are the same so they didn't make a change to improve gas mileage.

Unless of course the 2005 rating was reported in error...

I think the torque values may have changed some also...

Anyone have the inside story on this?

Okay, I looked on Edmunds for an explanation... didn't find anything referencing "how the governing body rates horsepower" and the change relative to 2005 vs 2006 GX 470s.

Care to elaborate on this "governing body" or maybe provide the specific link to Edmunds?...

Usually HP/Torque ratings, once published, are used as reference for brand comparisons... and serves as a marketing tool to illustrate an advantage to target future sales. I would question the strategy to arbitrarily lower or restate HP ratings unless of course the 2005 ratings were overstated to begin with.

Maybe the "governing body" found the error during their own test and forced Lexus to restate the actual performance?

That link to Edmunds would be helpful...

HP rating didn't change...only HOW the governing body rates horsepower.  See review in Edmunds.com for more info.

"Power ratings are down slightly for '06, to 263 horsepower and 323 pound-feet of torque, but that's only because the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has instituted new test procedures that tend to deliver more conservative numbers. The engine itself, and its performance, have not changed. The 2006 GX 470 is every bit as powerful as the 2005 model. "

http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehic...0&ReviewID=1754

This leads me to believe the manufacturer's are overstating and publishing HP/Torque ratings in their race to market.... primarily to prevent losing market share. Then SAE performs their own test and finds something different.

Not uncommon... I find it difficult to believe SAE changed the process for which HP/Torque values are tested... this would affect every vehicle. But I would believe they possibly added more variables to the test protocol... or simply took a more realistic approach....

Anyone can easily dyno a motor at the crank or at the wheels in a controlled environment and publish documented HP/Torque ratings... offering optimum results.

Asians oversell horsepower

After years of touting ever higher horsepower numbers to win new customers, Toyota Motor Corp., Honda Motor Co. and possibly other automakers are now backtracking on some of those claims.

Strict new tests developed by the industry's top engineering group are prompting the carmakers to roll back horsepower estimates on several key vehicles, including the Toyota Camry, America's best-selling car, and Honda's luxurious Acura RL.

For the 2006 model year, Toyota says its Camry equipped with a 3-liter V-6 engine generates 190 horsepower. In 2005, Toyota said the same car with the same engine had 210 horsepower.

The revised ratings comply with new Society of Automotive Engineers standards designed to eliminate subjective interpretation in establishing horsepower claims.

While Toyota and Honda are retesting their entire vehicle lineups, other automakers generally are retesting only cars and trucks with updated powertrains.

Over time, most automakers are expected to comply with the new guidelines, and horsepower ratings for other vehicles could be revised.

Detroit's automakers say they have been conservative in calculating horsepower and don't expect to have to reduce horsepower ratings on many vehicles. In fact, after retesting, the Big Three have revised horsepower ratings upward on several vehicles.

The changes are likely to raise questions among customers.

"Horsepower is a big draw," said Jim Sanfilippo, an automotive marketing expert at AMCI Inc.

"This is at best difficult to explain," he added.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../A01-283759.htm

• 2 weeks later...