Car Die Out When Stopping At A Red Light..

THIS IS REALLY WEIRD GUYS, SO I HOPE I CAN GET YOUR ADVICE ON REPAIRING THIS OR EVEN TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS IS... I'M DRIVING NORMALLY AND THEN AFTER I STOP ON A RED LIGHT, THE CAR JUST DIE'S BUT THERE IS NO PROBLEM RESTARTING THE CAR AFTER??? IT'S HAPPENED TWICE TODAY, AND ONCE IN A MONTH OR TWO BEFORE? COULD IT BE MY STARTER OR ENGINE OR ALTERNATOR? THANKS IN ADVANCE

THIS IS REALLY WEIRD GUYS, SO I HOPE I CAN GET YOUR ADVICE ON REPAIRING THIS OR EVEN TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS IS... I'M DRIVING NORMALLY AND THEN AFTER I STOP ON A RED LIGHT, THE CAR JUST DIE'S BUT THERE IS NO PROBLEM RESTARTING THE CAR AFTER??? IT'S HAPPENED TWICE TODAY, AND ONCE IN A MONTH OR TWO BEFORE? COULD IT BE MY STARTER OR ENGINE OR ALTERNATOR? THANKS IN ADVANCE

Need more info. Has there been anything out of the norm happening to it recently. Have you driven it hard or experience any abnormal driving conditions. Was there a pattern of when the car would die. Try to make it so we feel like we're the ones driving the car. Be descriptive.

Need more info. Has there been anything out of the norm happening to it recently. Have you driven it hard or experience any abnormal driving conditions. Was there a pattern of when the car would die. Try to make it so we feel like we're the ones driving the car. Be descriptive.

I drive it very normal. My max speed is under 65mph highway, I mostly drive it from home to work which is 4 only miles back and forth. It started happening after the VSC and engine light came on. I had that taken to a shop and had it fix for $300. and from there on 1 month later the car just dies. I'm not sure what it really is. My friend is the one who fixed all my problems before on this car, So I don't want to blame him for anything if it's not his fault. As for the car it just dies 1 or 2 times a month. But it starts up again after that? With no problem.

Does the car seem to shake when it turns off at the light?  If so, you may have broken an engine mount which has happened to me before and is a farely quick repair.

Nope, Car doesn't shake when dies, But I'll check the engine mount to see if it's the problem. By the way how much did it cost to repair. Thank you

Check the throttle body to see if it's dirty.  Sometimes the carbon buildup will cause it to stick & kill the idle when decelerating & coming to a stop.  Also  check the throttle postion sensor if the throttle body is functioning properly.

Will check that to. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM. 1999 GS330 WOULD CUT OFF AFTER STOPPING, BUT NOT ALL THE TIME. TOOK MY LEX TO DEALER AND I THINK MY WARRANTY WAS OUT. NO CHARGE! AMAZED ME. IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY IT WAS A SENSOR. I THOUGHT IT WAS OLD TRANS FLUID MAYBE. HAD IT FLUSHED. IT WAS TIME FOR IT BUT DIDNT HELP. IT WAS A SENSOR. DONT KNOW THE PRICE OR EVEN PART #. REP JUST SAID IT WAS A SENSOR. GOOD LUCK

My car used to stall after driving highway RPM's and coming to a stop light. Turned out to be a malfuction in the EGR. Had that bad boy replaced for $325....no problems now.

You may want to keep a log of certain information:

1. Where it occurs?

2. How long have you been driving?

3. Weather conditions?

4. Mileage between each instance?

5. Unusual smells?

6. Type of gas used?

7. Gas level when it occurs?

8. Very specific details of any recent work prior to the intro. of the incident?

.....etc.

Note, the GS400 does not have an EGR valve. The reason is noted in a previous post.

In any case, here is yet another possibility for your problem. The torque converter in the transmission may be failing to disengage thereby not allowing your car to shift into neutral when you come to a stop. The GSxx0 models torque converter can lock in any gear by design. If it is sticking, the most likely gear it will stick in is gear 5 or overdrive. If you drive in gear 4 as opposed to D (5) for a while and the problem ceases, you should investigate the transmission as a source of your trouble. Nevertheless, driving in gear 4 may not prove conclusive because the transmission may still shift down to a lower gear and stick, but it is less likely than in D.

Also I am curious. What was done to repair your car when the VSC and Check Engine light were on?

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similiar issue...the VSC (and check engine) light would come on and the car would not respond to the accelerator (felt like it died, but was in fact still running). Sometimes at stoplights, and sometimes while cruising down the road. Turning the car off and restarting would fix the problem, and after a couple restarts the check engine light would reset (turn off). This would happen once a month, then every other week...took it into Lexus and they correctly diagnosed the issue as a bad "pedal" position sensor. This is different than the "throttle" position sensor. The pedal position sensor is part of the throttle body, and cost around $300 to replace. Haven't had the issue since.

Had a similiar issue...the VSC (and check engine) light would come on and the car would not respond to the accelerator (felt like it died, but was in fact still running).  Sometimes at stoplights, and sometimes while cruising down the road.  Turning the car off and restarting would fix the problem, and after a couple restarts the check engine light would reset (turn off).  This would happen once a month, then every other week...took it into Lexus and they correctly diagnosed the issue as a bad "pedal" position sensor.  This is different than the "throttle" position sensor.  The pedal position sensor is part of the throttle body, and cost around $300 to replace.  Haven't had the issue since.

I got it fix already which also cost $300. by a friend. However it did happen after 3 weeks later it died out again. But from there on it's been working fine since. I guess the sensor was the main problem, But $300. for a sensor??!! Thanks

• 1 year later...