How To Install Trailer Brake Control In '05 Lx-470

investorsc

We have an '05 LX-470 with trailer towing package from factory. We want to pull a 2 bike motorcycle trailer (Haulmark Edge) that has elec. brakes. Called 3 different dealers with NO result in help installing a brake controller for trailer. "05 has the right trailer plug- need to know where to tap into Brake + wire to trailer connector, Brake Signal to activate controller, and best place for Bat+ to supply the controller. Anyone who has installed one of these please help......Vacation is fast approaching, and Bikes are ready :ph34r: !

Thanks,

BRUCE :cheers:

investorsc@aol.com

• 2 months later...

Bruce - Did you ever find someone to help with the Brake Controller? I have an '04 and the Colorado Springs Lexus Dealership refuses to install one.

Hard to imagine that the vehicle is rated to tow 6500lbs, but they refuse to install a legally required controller.

I also called the 800#...they told me to try U-Haul to get it installed!!!!!!

Bxstr

• 1 month later...

Bruce - Did you ever find someone to help with the Brake Controller? I have an '04 and the Colorado Springs Lexus Dealership refuses to install one.

Hard to imagine that the vehicle is rated to tow 6500lbs, but they refuse to install a legally required controller.

I also called the 800#...they told me to try U-Haul to get it installed!!!!!!

Bxstr

I don't have your answers, but the controler you are looking for is in the driver rear quarter panel. Take the tail light out and look up inside the hole where the light was. you will see a black box, that is the controller. There are a bunch of wires there that you can tap into if you want to (color coordinated with regular trailer codes), or you can replace the whole thing. BTW, a guy at U-haul told me he could replace it with a new one for $75 for what ever that is worth.

good luck,

fish

Fish,

Tell me more? Are you sure that is not the LIGHT controller? If you look into the fuse box under the hood, there is a fuse location for trailer brakes. E-trailer.com claims to have a "Pigtail" that plugs into the fctory harness (I bought one). I cannot find the location under the dash where the power from that fuse comes, nor the wire back to the 7-pin connector for the trailer for electric brakes.

C'mon guys- there has to be SOMEONE out there with an LX that has a trailer with brakes and has installed a controller.

You can e-mail me direct with ANY ideas or info at investorsc@aol.com

Many, Many thanks!

Bruce

fish

• 4 weeks later...

I installed a Prodigy brake controller in my 2003 LX 470 which should be very similar to the 04-06 models. You will have to take the dash apart under the steering wheel to find the factory connector, on mine it was located about 6" down from the key hole taped to a bunch of other wires. I had to search pretty good to find it but it is there.

Basically I got the trailer brake controller wiring from a Toyoto Sequoia (they are in the glove box at the dealership so you can get the part # off of it there) and it plugs right into the factory connector under the dash. You then use that wiring to connect your brake controller.

I tow a Car Trailer with my 4000lb+ Jeep on it.

A good trailer place will sell the pigtail for the Prodigy controller for $10.00 then just plug that into the factory harness described by kthrash above. Most trucks 2004 and above are pre wired for a controller under the dash, however Lexus might not be. My ford F150 (2005) gave me a pigtail to plug into the main harness under the dash near the steering wheel. God forbid, if ford and chevy can why can't Lexus, I know it may cost a few more dollars out of their profit margin. whoopie

• 1 month later...

A good trailer place will sell the pigtail for the Prodigy controller for $10.00 then just plug that into the factory harness described by kthrash above. Most trucks 2004 and above are pre wired for a controller under the dash, however Lexus might not be. My ford F150 (2005) gave me a pigtail to plug into the main harness under the dash near the steering wheel. God forbid, if ford and chevy can why can't Lexus, I know it may cost a few more dollars out of their profit margin. whoopie

My '06 470 had the trailer brake pigtail in the glovebox, but, I ordered the factory towing pkg..

I installed an Oddessy controller by splicing the Oddessy loom to the pig tail. Then i made a

removable mount that replaces the Fuse Box cover when I need to tow. Works great and is

completely reversable (no holes drilled in the dash)

My '06 470 had the trailer brake pigtail in the glovebox, but, I ordered the factory towing pkg..

I installed an Oddessy controller by splicing the Oddessy loom to the pig tail. Then i made a

removable mount that replaces the Fuse Box cover when I need to tow. Works great and is

• 3 months later...

Brett,

I am lost on the mount for the fuse box cover......WHAT fuse box are you referring to....Are you saying the Prodigy is NOT reachable during driving (FOr Ex. To manually apply more break pressure by hand on controller).... I ahve not found the pigtail under dash---Gave up on this last summer- but bike week in coming, I have all the parts, and determined this time.

Any ideas on removing lower dash panel and steering column plastic?

Bruce

investorsc@aol.com

Usually there are a couple of screws or bolts on the bottom edge of the lower plastic, remove them and then the top part of the plastic is usually held by clips. Be careful and pull the plastic panel off. The prodigy controller once set in position and adjusted I have found requires no further adj. . It automatically compensates for the grade the vehicle is on and applies proper current to the brakes. But if you move the controller it will have to be readjusted. Sometimes there is not a harness for the brake controller but a distribution box that receives the pigtail connector. We just found that out on the Chevrolet/GMC truck my son has. so look for a fuse box or distribution panel under the dash. However if Lexus was any kind of decent they would have a mechanic come out to your car at the dealership and point out where the connection is. I guess that is there great customer service. Sometimes the parts people are more helpful. good luck

• 1 month later...

I have an '04 and the Colorado Springs Lexus Dealership refuses to install one.

Bxstr

I have an 04' and it's only rated to tow 5000lbs..??..

Can I get mine up to 6500lbs?

After a year of searching, the end result was SO easy....

I am using the Prodigy Controller:

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...ategory_Code=BC

The prewired adapter is 13 bucks (beleive it or not):

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...ategory_Code=BC

The install takes 10 minutes and is a simple plug in.....

Here are the instruction I got from the Land Cruiser site- I BOLDED how I did it- SO EASY!

What I did instead is take all the panels off. Start by removing the horizontal plastic

bezel above the steering wheel, the one that has the light dimmer in. It comes right out by pulling on it. Then (or first, I forgot, check), remove the circular trim around the

ignition key slot (careful, you must turn it and pull to remove it, there are tabs that have

to be aligned with slots). It should then be possible to remove the entire lower plastic panel (in front of the driver shins and knees). To do this, remove the single black screw

on the very left edge, close to the door. Then remove the 4 screws holding the 2 handles

for the hood and gas door. The lower plastic panel can then be removed by pulling gently,

there are 4 or 5 clips holding it, all around. There will be several switches and harnesses

into it. Watch out for the skinny one on the right, those wires are small. You can disconnect all the harnesses and remove the panel. Next comes the metal knee brace. It's

held by 4 or 5 bolts and comes right off. After that you will clearly see the black plastic

vent I mentioned earlier and maybe even the connector, in front or above it. If you don't

see the connector, remove the vent conduit as described above and the connector should be visible. Again, connect your pigtail (see below) and put it all back together after checking for voltage.

Now, to take advantage of this connector you'd want to plug something in. The brake adapter I listed above was a PRE-MADE to connect from the Prodigy Controller to the "Toyota" white plug.

Buy a good brake controller (I got the Tekonsha Prodigy, a late generation solid state gizmo that is supposed to be top of their line and perhaps the best out there). .....

Feel Free to post this entire e-mail if you want to help other users...I towed my 5000 lb bike trailer (Enclosed) and it was a smooth as glass!

BRUCE SMITH

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 10 years later...

Hi Guys

I just installed a Primus IQ controller.

The guy above said it was 6"below the ignition key

Yes

I removed the plastic panel with 1 or 2 screws /bolts not sure then the 4 bolt metal cover and there it was about 6" below the key area.

I connected the pig tail and a ground and plunged it in and 2 mount screws.  Done

IMG_3658 (1).jpg