Mp3 Playback Options

Microslave

DISCLAIMER: I know *BLEEP* all about car audio, hence me asking.

I just bought a 93 Lexus, with the Premium sound system which sounds awesome.

I need to somehow get mp3s to play through it.

I've tried the FM transmitters, and they sounded rather *BLEEP*ty. Now I realize MP3's aren't going to sound as good as CD's, but there has to be a better way to maximize sound quality.

I don't really want to get a new faceplate, but I'd like to get a direct connection somehow.

If I somehow connected (directly, not via one of the MP3 Player/Cassette adapters) the cassette player to my mp3 player, would it sound as good as my mp3 player does when playing through a stero, or would it only be as good as cassette quality?

Is this even possible? Converting a cassette deck into a pseudo aux in?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Generally speaking, it should be possible to add an aux input into just about any multi-function system. It would be a piece of cake for a skilled electronic tech with a schematic in hand. And that is where the rub comes in, a schematic for the internal radio. Delco sent me schematics for the radio/cd/tape player in my caddy free of charge but I doubt that Pioneer or Nakimichi (sp) would be so willing to supply their schematics. I have thought about doing the same thing, it would be far better than having a 6 disk changer in the trunk. One of these days, I might give it a try.

I'm currenlty working on a solution, I'm hopefully creating a cd changer emulator that uses the pioneer as a front end to a harddisk based mp3 player. Its mostly just understanding the protocol the pioneer uses to control the cd changer. Given my schedule its at least 6 months off!!! damn kids.. I'm like you I don't what to screw around with the oem look and feel, so if you find something let us know.

thanks

tr

• 2 weeks later...

I keep hoping that Vaistech will get their act together and make the integration unit for us.

http://vaistech.com/

http://vaistech.com/aic100.html

http://www.vaistech.com/vchk/vconf.php

It seems that they do have a working unit for the newer stuff, e.g. Nav integration systems and even the backup camera integration.

Maybe if enough of us with the older models pinged their site often enough

they would see that there is a market and make the thing.

(you must click the buy it button to drill down to your model)

I doubt the logjam unit listed above would integrate w/ the Lexus Pioneer. even if it did, would you not lose the cd changer?

If you search their site for auxiliary input converters available for the Lexus, there are none.

It looks like crazyls may be on to something. Search the electronics forum, I remember someone else doing the home-made thing.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...61&hl=satellite

I purchased a great IRiver transmitter. You can set it to any channel.

Overall it works great and only cost about 30 bucks on Amazon.com. Also it plugs into lighter and works by pluging it into any music player. Its great! I play Club Gitmo chairman Rush Limbaugh often!

Cheers to LEXUS!

ok the unit is not a pioneer ip-bus compatible unit, darn! But it looks like its only signaling 5v so I just have to put a logic analyzer on it.. My time is being taken by two young kids so I'm not exaclty sure when I'm going to have time for this.

Been thinking about this as well. I found those schematics a while back and was thinking that I would soon pull the radio and hack it using a mini plug with bare wires connecting to the plus and minus on the factory wire harness. Then the trick I think would be to determine which one of the wires in that same harness powers up the CD player so that you can put a switch on it to disable the cd player. Since there is no pause on these units, you would definitely need to disable the power to the CD player to keep from having the signal on your aux input combining with the signal from the cd player.

I have no time on my hands so can't say for sure I will get around to this soon, but why wouldn't it work?

Hoop

ok after looking over the issue I decided to screw the oem look, I'm going to add a mini-itx based touch screen unit. Take a look at mp3car to get the basics. It won't have a cd/dvd drive at all it will be completey usb and wifi driven with a 2.5" hd for storage. It will cost more but it will be much more functional, I can easily had a high quality gps etc... The real trick is tipping the thing at the right angle so that I can see the darn thing, and no I won't be watching movies..

good luck everybody!