Things to look for with Check engine light

danigirl

All RX300 owners on this forum should be paying careful attention to this particular thread.  It is a critical one because most of you will be dealing with these various sensor failures by 60,000 to 70,000 miles.  If you choose to let Lexus diagnose and replace your failed sensors, you will pay two to three times more for this service than if you learn where to go for free trouble code diagnosis and then take the time and energy to source the part and do the replacement yourself.

On our particular vehicle, the mass air flow sensor failed at 46,000 miles so it was replaced by Lexus under warranty.  The bank 1 air/fuel ratio sensor failed at 69,000 miles and our Lexus service manager agreed to replace it under their goodwill warranty program based upon my complaints concerning the many serious problems we experienced with this vehicle during 2003 and 2004.  I still have yet to pay them a penny for service and Lexus has had to absorb over $9,000 in repair costs on this thing as a result.

For those in California, California Emission Control Warranty covers AF senor for 7 years and 70K.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Danigirl. This is critical information for all RX300 owners. Let's hope that your extended warranty comes through for you. Along with your sensors, I believe that it should cover your new exhaust manifold if Lexus doesn't. Let us know your final out-of-pocket tally once your warranty coverages are settled.

Ah, the trials and tribulations of RX300 ownership. After experiencing no real issues other than routine maintenance during 2005, my wife's RX decided to rear its ugly head again this morning. But that's another post, so look for it here on the board shortly....

I wish the manifold was covered, but they said no....bummer, but glad the A/F's are. That helps.

Bosch isn't off the hook yet, we are doing comparisons on all parts now.

I will update on that, as well as final costs....hoping for a happy ending, to this story anyway!!

I appreciate everyone's feedback and quick responses....it helps when you can't get answers from anyone else!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Final outcomes....

Light still off, car runs great.

My warranty company reimbursed all costs with regard to replacing 2 O2 sensors, & labor.

Bosch, due to a MFG error from the company they purchased their sensors from, is reimbursing for all costs associated that were caused due to the faulty parts...so basically all diagnostics that would not have been needed if the parts I purchased had been good.

So I am very happy about that....Thanks again for everyone's help.

• 2 weeks later...

The codes were P1133 and P1153. I got multiple codes indicating other problems, due to bad O2's that I purchased and installed. After the MAF was replaced, the codes continued to indicate only the 2 O2's. Per the mechanic, this was just a fluke due to a mfg error. Since I purchased from AAP, they were probably purchased from the same bad batch.

The Bosch part is purchased directly from Denso, has accurate part numbers, etc. You can purchase Aftermarket, as most Aftermarket are mfg by the same mfg's that the OEM purchases from.

The final resolution to fixing the check engine light, was replacing only the 2 O2's. I couldn't return the MAF, as I didn't have my original anymore. All other parts I installed due to codes, such as temp sensor, PCV, etc, were returned, as none were needed after the O2's were replaced with functioning O2's. The manifold was replaced too, as it was cracked...that was at my expense.

yes, thankfully, as the final bill sent me into shock.

I expect Bosch will address this with Denso, as they purchase from them. I have also worked in automotive manufacturing and usually there is a case study performed and safety's initiated to insure that it doesn't happen again, if they can find the failure point. All parts have batch or lot #'s which can pin point the whens/hows/where's of a part.

Congrats on your 8k posts. Thanks again for all your help and everyone else too. I hope my post helps someone in the future.

• 4 months later...

5812 Coles Court,

Buford, Ga 30512

PH 770-614-8987

trikemann@hotmail.com

To, Peter Marks, President and CEO

Robert Bosch Corp.

38000 Hills Tech Drive

Farmington Hills, MI 48331

Dear Mr. Marks,

Re: Very Poor quality and Deception of Product Application

1. It is a sad occasion that I have to bring to your attention the poor quality of the product that is being marketed by Bosch automotive aftermarket.

2. Being a German trained engineer also in the automotive business ( Freudenberg-NOK) it hurts my pride that a company that I grew up with and have respected for innovation and superb quality has let me down.

3. I purchased a Bosch sensor part # 13333 from NAPA in Feb of 05. The application on this sensor was for a Lexus RX300.

4. The sensor failed (Code P1133) within six months and NAPA exchanged me one at no cost. This new sensor was manufactured by Denso and marketed by Bosch with the correct Toyota /Lexus part # etched on it.

5. This sensor did not work right after install (code P1133). I took the car to the Lexus dealer in Atlanta,Ga never doubting the quality/ of the new exchanged Bosch certified Denso part. I assumed that there was a problem with my diagnostics.

6. The dealer concluded that the Denso -Bosch sensor is an Oxygen sensor and not a A/F sensor as the application calls for a RX300. It does however have the correct part # etched.

7. Now the warranty from NAPA is expired and I am short by the cost of the sensor. This letter is not to seek a reimbursement but to apprise you of this Bosch- Denso relationship. Though it would be nice if some one did reimburse me the cost of the sensor $206, and the money I spent at the dealer $96 (diagnostics). This not about the money though.

8. I have now bought a sensor Denso part # 234-9009 and this has worked with no problems. ($167 from Rockauto.Com)

9. Perhaps you should evaluate your relationship with Denso as they may be selling bad sensors to Bosch on purpose to give Bosch a bad name. This is something your sales and marketing team should investigate.

10. There is a thread on the Lexus owners club of a similar situation with another lady undergoing the same thing.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/lofiv...php/t23231.html

Regards

Ravind Shrotria.

Copy to Denso Corp

Copy to NAPA

Copy to Toyota Lexus Corporation

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

What a great, great thread!! I tell you, I don't think I've taken in as much valuable information from a thread as I have from this one. I recently had the check engine light pop on due to a faulty bank sensor and this thread gave me a nice perspective of what to consider/look for when changing it.

Man, this is what this board is all about... real life events, smart people, good insight, good information...... absolutely invaluable!!! Thank you very much to all who participated in this! It's been exceptionally helpful!

• 10 years later...

I have the same problem. I have replaced all 3 sensors with OEM and MAF. I had Toyota and the Lexus dealer check the problem. They say AF sensors (brand new OEM) not reading and no communication between sensors and ECU. I am still getting codes and car is burning gas like crazy. My mechanic checked for vacuum leaks and found none. I am wondering if it might be the sensor on the throttle body. My mechanic said there is a very small vacuum leak with throttle body but doesen't think that would cause the problem I'm having. Any help would be appreciated!

I have same problem. I took the car to Lexus dealer and they say AF sensors are not communicating with the ECU. Recommended replacing the brand new Denso sensors and if that doesn't work replace Co2 sensor which I did. I also put in a new OEM MAF. Nothing has helped! I am thinking about replacing the sensor on the throttle body to see if that helps. My mechanic said he could not find any vacuum leaks. He did say there was a very small leak in the throttle body but didn't think that would cause my problem. Any help or ideas will be appreciated.