Rear Struts 1998 Es-300

I need new rear struts on my 98 ES-300. The car has original Mac Pherson wheel independent type. I understand that the ES-300 came with two types. My standard equip & installed options(Window Sticker List):

4 wheel Independent Mac Pherson Strut type Suspension with Gas Pressurized Shock absobers.

Is this the more expensive type.

Can Monroe shocks be used in lieu of Mac Phearson.

What is the part number?

The car has 75000 miles.

Also the car has never been tuned up but appears to run well.

When should the timing belt be replaced?

I need new rear struts on my 98 ES-300. The car has  original Mac Pherson wheel  independent type. I understand that the ES-300 came with two types. My standard equip & installed options(Window Sticker List):

4 wheel Independent Mac Pherson Strut type Suspension with Gas Pressurized Shock absobers.

Is this the more  expensive type.

What is the part number?

The car has 75000 miles.

Also the car has never been tuned up but appears to run well.

When should the timing belt be replaced?

I would tune it up , the plugs are sometimes a headache.

My es has about 78k miles and i'm thinking about replacing the struts and shocks also- i'll look into struts

the timing belt has been addressed and you will find them once you do a search.

i'll do mine at 85-90k to be on the safe side.

What is the part number?

The car has 75000 miles.

jncooper - fyi -

"Macpherson strut" is a type of suspension design, not a brand name.

Check out this link if you want to know more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut

Two common brands of replacement shocks/struts are KYB and Monroe. Do a search & you'll find lots of online sellers for both. KYB's are usually more expensive. I replaced the rear struts on my '93 ES300 with Monroe's, they've been fine but I did notice that the ride was harsher in very cold weather last winter. I'm not sure if the cause was the shocks or something else - the ride has been fine since the warm weather returned here in the Great White North.

tck...

Get the KYBs. They're the OEM supplier and will provide the best ride. Plus they're not that expensive. I think I ordered mine from Auto Parts Place for @ $65 each online. If I recall correctly thay had free shipping on $100+ orders.

Ya it makes a differance.

Get KYB's That's the OEM.

Keep in mind, that the struts Toyota puts on the Camry platform are more plush than American Luxury cars.

If you swap brands try to cheap out you'll either:

1) Get a flat out inferior strut that will be gone in a year, or two

2) Have to get a stiffer strut

3) Not be abe to get the same ride in the same price zone

Your ES came with sealed struts. They only used serviceable in 92-94.

How much you pay for rears?????

........ looking for my receipt ........

tck...

Monroe struts for ES300 - $73.00 CDN ea. at Autopak (Oct. 2004)

p/n 801958 (left)

801957 (rt)

Changed them in Oct 2004. Replaced original equip. KYB's because one had a blown seal, other was leaking and both dust boots were completely gone.

So far, so good. Ride is good, no complaints. Can't say how durable these struts will be over the long run, they've been in the car less than a year & so far are holding up just fine.

BUT... last winter the car rode very harshly in cold ( -20 and below) weather. Lots of thumping over even small bumps. Didn't do this before I changed the struts. Ride quality returned to normal in warmer weather. I don't know for certain if the Monroe struts were the cause of this, but I suspect they were.

Anyone else have this experience?

If you live somewhere that has lots of very cold days in the winter you might want to stick with KYB's. If I have to change them again I would probably go with KYB's even though they're much more expensive (can't remember the price, about twice as much if I recall??)

If you live in Texas or California or somewhere that doesn't get the -20 degree days in winter, you probably wouldn't notice a difference in ride between the two brands. As I said before, tho, I don't know how durable the Monroe's will be. If they "crap out" anytime soon I'll post about that later.

tck...

The definition of "really" is relative. My rears need to be done. Front mounts or bushings were the first to go. Was in Phoenix, and at under 55 degrees F they would click and clack like crazy. Now here in NC, the rear sounds bad at about 40 F and below.