Anyone With Experience With Amsoil Atf

rlin78

This is not another one of those discussions about the reliability of the RX300 AWD transmission, so please don't post it if you don't have any experience with the Amsoil univerisal ATF in your Rx300.

My 1999 RX300 has got 93 k miles, I want to change the transmission fluid on it. Since it has already passed the warranty period, I would like to put amsoil ATF in it because Toyota' is asking an arm and a leg for their T-IV ATF :pirate: . Amsoil's websiate claims that their ATF can be used to substitute the Toyota Type T-IV fluid. I am just wondering, does anyone has any REAL WORLD experience with the Asmoil ATF in the RX300?

Oh, I plan to do a DIY flush of the ATF as well. Basically, just drain and refill. then disconnect the transmission cooler lines and pump the ATF out while adding it on the filler. :whistles: Thanks!

I just did a drain & fill with Amsoil ATF on my 01 ES (which also calls for Toyota type IV). Gone about 250 miles thus far & the tranny is just fantastic! I have had no problems and I am not aware of any tranny problems with anyone's Lexus vehicle that has used the Amsoil atf as a direct result of switching fluids. B)

:cheers:

I just did a drain & fill with Amsoil ATF on my 01 ES (which also calls for Toyota type IV).  Gone about 250 miles thus far & the tranny is just fantastic!  I have had no problems and I am not aware of any tranny problems with anyone's Lexus vehicle that has used the Amsoil atf as a direct result of switching fluids.  B) 

Being one of the major contributors to the tranny problem, I too would support using the Amsoil. I personally have tried another ATF in some tempermental trannys such as the Dodge Caravan and Ford windstar, as well as a Mercedes 180E. The fluid is very hard to obtain and it is made by South Western Petroleum products (SWEPCO) I talked to the distributor and he claims the flash point and breakdown temp are superior to any fluid on the market. The Mercedes/BMW garage (Not dealership) uses the fluid on all his customes and claims great results. I had a Dodge Caravan with 168K miles and had changed the fluid at 80k when I heard some noise, noise went away and tranny purrie..dd right to the 168k when I sold the vehicle. I do not have any amsoil experience, But when the warranty is up on my third tranny I too am interested in Different ATF and adding a tranny filter, and cooling fan to the auxulary tranny cooler. I have no experience with Amsoil and how do you obtain it other than ordering off the internet?

I think you can only get Amsoil online. It is not too expensive compare to Type T-IV fluid. As long as Amsoil ATF can protect the tranmission better, I think it is totoally worth it. Can more people post their experience about Amsoil in their transmission?

• 2 months later...

Full Synthetic, Amsoil, Aylsin Serospace and others are execellent in trannys. Sinc ethe first 1,000 miles on my RX 300 there have been zero problems and I am over 260,000 miles on original equipment. Still in 22-24mpg in Detroit driving conditions.

Biggest hing to remember about switching fluids though is oil in engine , if switiching from "normal" oil to synthetic you may find a few new leaks due to the cleaning that synthetics due. So if you can deal with a few oil drips, go for it. I have done this in our delivery trucks, we are a domestic automotive supplier to big 3, in our fork trucks, all all company vehicles. Better rides, better life, and better mpg's.

I switched over to everything Amsoil this last summer. Transmission, engine oil, rear diff gear oil, the whole works. I've noticed that everything seems to run smoother and shifting is very nice in the transmission. Maybe 2 mpg gain also with all the fluids changed over. I've put about 20 miles on my transmission with Amsoil and so far everything is very good. I recommend doing it if you are out of warranty espically. some people worry that Lexus will not do repairs if you don't use their oils.

• 8 months later...

I drained and replaced 7 quarts with Amsoil ATF last month, after 2000 miles of driving, there is no shift problem. In fact, the up shift is better when I accelerate hard.

Synthetic based ATF gives me the confidence to drain and fill at RX300's recommendated interval of 60K.

I used amsoil and like ti but have since talked to an engineer who gave me a break down and Toyota atf fluid is one the best that the others are bench marked against. So stick with the Toyota one for best transmission life.

I used amsoil and like ti but have since talked to an engineer who gave me a break down and Toyota atf fluid is one the best that the others are bench marked against. So stick with the Toyota one for best transmission life.

Not to spark a debate on transmission oil, the way I understand it is that Mobil is Toyota's ATF supplier in the U.S. Idemitsu is Toyota's Asian supplier. Toyota's transmissions are designed by Aisin Warner, whose parent company Aisin Seiki, is 30% controlled by Toyota. Toyota T-IV is nothing but a Aisin Warner spec complying fluid, most likely rebranded Mobil 3309.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...il_ATF_3309.asp

Toyota has a relationship with Mobil because Toyota's branded engine oil are sourced to Mobil. I think Toyota is smart with outsourcing because it is a car company, not an oil company.

Here is a official Mazda TSB that recommends GM, Ford, Volvo, and Toyota's ATF, in addition to the aftermarket Mobil 3309, to its new 6 sedan. Apparently they are all made by Aisin Warner, shared the same spec, and have good quality ATF that Mazda is not afraid to issue this TSB and be liable for warranty claims.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/tsb/aisinwarner.pdf

There is no right or wrong, only preference. Others are fine with drain and fill with Toyota T-IV for every 15K and could care less about who really makes ATF for Toyota. For me, I like Amsoil's higher flash point and synthetic based stock oil for more resistant to oxidation to excessive heat generated by RX300 AWD transmission.

Have used AMSOIL for over 30 years now & never a problem. Just make sure that AMSOIL is recommended for your vehicle. I go to their web site & click on the red area in the center and type in my vehicle info & it tells me what I can use.

I've used Amsoil ATF in my 99 RX300 for 1 year and about 10K miles. Don't really notice any difference in MPG or smoothness, but it gives me peace of mind that it protects my transmission better than non-synthetic.

By the way, my car is at 100K miles with its original transmission---knocking on woods. :whistles:

I've been using Amsoil for almost all fluids now for over a year (20,000 miles) and everything is running great. I did a few drain and fills back to back to flush out most of the old stuff. It's still bright RED and clean looking after a year, but I'm planning on changing it again soon just because it doesn't cost that much and it gives me a change to really look at everything up close. Going to change the diff. oil and engine oil at the same time.

I'm just over 95,000 miles now (2000 RX300 AWD), only thing other than fluid changes is a throttle position sensor I replaced around 80,000. I'm hoping to reach 150,000 without major repairs, then time to decide what to drive next.

• 10 years later...

Hi everyone, sorry for bringing up this old thread. but I would like to ask for advice/suggestion, as my 2001 RX300 AWD now runs on (I think) regular T-IV equivalent ATF (which I have to add/topup once in 2 weeks, doesn't smell burnt though). Reading all these posts in this thread makes me want to switch to this Amsoil product. Sometimes my RX just downshifts too fast/suddenly (especially after a 90 degrees turning)the moment I release the acceleration pedal.It still shifts fine though. So my question is, how should I start from here on? can I just switch it directly to the Amsoil product during my next drain-and-fill ? or do I have to flush out the old fluid and replace it ? 

Which Amsoil transmission product is recommended ? I've seen the Signature series and the OE ATF..truck is now on 145k miles. Everyone's advice n suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

19 hours ago, renphilia said:

Hi everyone, sorry for bringing up this old thread. but I would like to ask for advice/suggestion, as my 2001 RX300 AWD now runs on (I think) regular T-IV equivalent ATF (which I have to add/topup once in 2 weeks, doesn't smell burnt though). Reading all these posts in this thread makes me want to switch to this Amsoil product. Sometimes my RX just downshifts too fast/suddenly (especially after a 90 degrees turning)the moment I release the acceleration pedal.It still shifts fine though. So my question is, how should I start from here on? can I just switch it directly to the Amsoil product during my next drain-and-fill ? or do I have to flush out the old fluid and replace it ? 

Which Amsoil transmission product is recommended ? I've seen the Signature series and the OE ATF..truck is now on 145k miles. Everyone's advice n suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

You should never put anything other than what is recommended in the service manual. If it calls for Toyota T-IV ATF, put that in the trans. I don't believe putting Amsoil is going to fix your trans issue. Maybe have the dealership run a health check on your vehicle,  you should have some trans codes pending or current. Maybe there's a bad shift solenoid or the torque converter is going out