2006 Gs Oil Change Question

How often does the oil need to be changed in a 2006 GS 430?

The manufacturer says every 5k miles...But I used to change the oil in my cars every 3k-4K.

How good is the oil that Lexus provides? Is it a fully synthetic or semi synthetic? Any after market oils reccomended for the GS?

Thanks in advance.

The manufacturer says every 5k miles...But I used to change the oil in my cars every 3k-4K. 

How good is the oil that Lexus provides?  Is it a fully synthetic or semi synthetic?  Any after market oils reccomended for the GS?

Thanks in advance.

Either way you can't go wrong. I have always done the change at 5k miles as recommended by Lexus and I am on my 3rd Lexus. I now have a 2006 GS300 /AWD.

• 1 year later...

How good is the oil that Lexus provides?  Is it a fully synthetic or semi synthetic?  Any after market oils reccomended for the GS?

Thanks in advance.

Either way you can't go wrong. I have always done the change at 5k miles as recommended by Lexus and I am on my 3rd Lexus. I now have a 2006 GS300 /AWD.

Do you 06 GS owners do it yourself or do you take it to the dealer to have them perform this? I'm gonna be getting the 350 this week so I wanted to see how difficult it is to get this done.

thanks!

Do you 06 GS owners do it yourself or do you take it to the dealer to have them perform this? I'm gonna be getting the 350 this week so I wanted to see how difficult it is to get this done.

The dashboard information screen tells you when you get close to 5k miles everytime you start the car, so I would assume the person who changes the oil has to (know how to) reset the computer. I assume it does not reset like the gas milage computer which resets automatically when you refill your tank??? I know that reset is not mearly opening the fuel door or removing the cap, but it does reset when you put in gas. :) Not sure about the oil reminder though, and am wondering about which other services it is going to remind me of?

Judging from the way you worded your question, you sound like me and want a great car with a great reputation, but do not want to be married to the dealer for services? I guess I could find out some more (maybe) by reading the manual, but it is as big as some phone books and much is filled with saftey disclaimer messages.

Thanks in advance.

thanks!

Using the Lexus dealer is one of the MAJOR reasons for buying a Lexus in my opinion. It's always a marvelous experience at Len Stoler Lexus in Maryland (no, I don't work for them).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We use Mobil at our Dealership and offer Mobil1 as an upgrade.We recommend every 5k and have changed prices to be VERY competitive with what it "should " cost.I prefer to have mine done at the Dealership that I work at because of the fact that when I sell the car anyone in any State can go to his local Dealership with my VIN and get a printout of the service history of the car.I also don't have to keep records because Lexus has them on their Nationwide Network.

• 3 months later...

the first two oil changes were free. the third one, the dealer wanted a ridiculously high ammount. so i took it to a jiffy lube a friend works at. he did it for 30 bucks. only problem is the "CHANGE OIL" light didn't turn off. i called the dealer they said,

"you need to bring it in and have one of our tech's reset your computer"

all that ended up being was holding down the reset button in the drop down button compartment and turning the car on and off.

hardly needs a tech

• 4 months later...
the first two oil changes were free. the third one, the dealer wanted a ridiculously high ammount. so i took it to a jiffy lube a friend works at. he did it for 30 bucks. only problem is the "CHANGE OIL" light didn't turn off. i called the dealer they said,

"you need to bring it in and have one of our tech's reset your computer"

all that ended up being was holding down the reset button in the drop down button compartment and turning the car on and off.

hardly needs a tech

I have an 06 GS300 (same color as your's with 20's)...I went to Big O Tire by Ontario Mills/Rancho Cucamonga and they reset the light. That same compartment on the left that you open in order to to pop the trunk has the reset button on it. When you press it scroll to the oil change message and hit reset.

Nothing real technical about it that requires charging an extra $100 for.... :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Lexus Of Austin charges $50.00 for an oil change which I thought was outrageous, but after receiving the Lexus loaner and a car wash I was placated.

You can't get an oil change and a car wash for $50.00, not mentioning the Lexus loaner!

I'm done with Jiffy Lube!

• 9 months later...
Lexus Of Austin charges $50.00 for an oil change which I thought was outrageous, but after receiving the Lexus loaner and a car wash I was placated.

You can't get an oil change and a car wash for $50.00, not mentioning the Lexus loaner!

Yeah if I got a loaner, I would slap down the 50 and take the loaner to vegas.

On that note, 50 isn't too bad. I went to a decent oil change place in the area called "Oilstop" in Costa Mesa, CA. They charge about 35 bucks. For full synthetic, it was another 35 = so 70 bucks total.

If my local Lexus only charges $50 (I'll need to find out), then no problem.

OK, finally found the TRUE way to turn off the "Oil Maintenance" reminder thing from another person on another forum.

He states:

For those of you who like I have a 2006 GS300[or GS430], the proceedure in the manual to reset the oil maintenance light (p. 87) is either wrong, or at best poorly worded. To reset this light:

1. With the car running set the odometer to display total vehicle miles - not to the trip odometer.

2. Shut the vehicle off.

3. With the trip odometer reset button held down, switch the vehicle to on (ie push the start button twice without your foot on the brake).

$50 is not a bad price. Especially if they are using Synthetic.

My wife's Mercedes goes 10,000 miles minimum between changes using Mobile 1. 166,000 miles and no problems.

Going 5,000 miles would not be a problem. Once you use synthetic, the filter needs changing before the oil.

I will take our GS 350 at least 5,000 miles between oil changes and will use M1.

• 3 months later...
OK, finally found the TRUE way to turn off the "Oil Maintenance" reminder thing from another person on another forum.

He states:

For those of you who like I have a 2006 GS300[or GS430], the proceedure in the manual to reset the oil maintenance light (p. 87) is either wrong, or at best poorly worded. To reset this light:

1. With the car running set the odometer to display total vehicle miles - not to the trip odometer.

2. Shut the vehicle off.

3. With the trip odometer reset button held down, switch the vehicle to on (ie push the start button twice without your foot on the brake).

Finally! - Thanks!...i was going nuts trying to figure out those "poorly worded" instructions on page 87. It must not translate well from japanese to english.

How good is the oil that Lexus provides? Is it a fully synthetic or semi synthetic? Any after market oils reccomended for the GS?

Thanks in advance.

I change every 5k miles, but I got to autozone and pick up fully synthetic Mobile One extended performance oil and Mobile One extended performance filter.

There isn't a set oil that Lexus uses.

Westminster Lexus told me they use Mobile One full synthetic.

Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA, told me they use regular oil (and they wanted to charge $60) for this change - never let them touch your Lexus. What kind of self-respecting Lexus dealership uses non-synthetic?

• 3 weeks later...
I placed an order for 10 oil filter kits today. The dealer wanted $8.08 plus tax, I got them for $4.33 each and no tax.

Part number for the AWD filter kit is 04152-YZZA2

Should look similar to this filter kit:

post-3960-1167271240_thumb.jpg

Can you tell us where you bought them from?

• 1 month later...
I placed an order for 10 oil filter kits today. The dealer wanted $8.08 plus tax, I got them for $4.33 each and no tax.

where did you order the filter kits from?

e.a.

• 1 year later...

where did you order the filter kits from?

e.a.

I Think it should be Park Place Lexus in San Antonio Texas. I just order the oil filter 4.33 each. However, you still need to pay for the shipping. I pay less than 11 for the shipping. That means you better order some more oil filter to lower down the shipping cost for each filter.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a diagram of the oil filter used on the GS350 and LS460.

post-3960-1166932709_thumb.jpg

is there any way you can post or send me a diagram of the oil filter for a o6 gs300?? i was under the car yesterday looking for the fitler i could not find it, i know its somewhere hidden in an aluminum casscet but i just could not find it! thanks

• 4 months later...

dealers charge way too much, $140 for a $30 oil change....

the dealership i use in michigan charge $50 for my oil change on my 06 gs300 but they are 25 min away and i know i can do it myself if i knew where that dang oil filter is

where is it located on my gs300 2006? :whistles:thanks