Fusible Links

ionlyridelex

When i first got my car i was thinking a fusible link was like a regular fuse and tried to pull it out. I did not know it was screwed in i broke the little plastic top on it that shows what size the fuse is. I went to auto zone and the told me i cant just go by the color of the fusible link which is white in my car they had no white ones in the store. So does anybody here know what is the size of this fusible link one of my +cables from the battery goes straight to this fusible link i hope somebody could help me. Thanks in advance

Plus the battery keeps dieing and i think this might be the problem. I have a new alt four days old and battery two weeks old. Before the new alt i had a test at advance the machine auto said check alt cable. They said get a new alt. It was free so i said sure (the one on the car was from advance it was under warranty) I put it on every thing looking good for a day then i went out the next day car started no problem stop to get gas. When i went to start the car up nothing. I ask a guy for a jump still nothing only tried for two min then i waited awhile like 15min put the key in car started no problem. i went straight home did a test on the alt with no load came back good and with a load came back bad. Any ideas?

I had the same confusion about the Fusible links, and I also broke one of the plastic tops too. (I accidentally shorted out the alternator circuit).

So I loosened 2 nuts/bolts and bring the fusible link along with the owner's manual (to show the exact location of the Link in question) to a Lexus dealer to buy a replacement of same amperage. And the new one has the same size and ampere rating but has different color on the plastic top.

For other problems of yours, I'm sorry I've never had them before so I don't know what to say.

I hope other members might have some helpful input.

I had the same confusion about the Fusible links, and I also broke one of the plastic tops too. (I accidentally shorted out the alternator circuit).

So I loosened 2 nuts/bolts and bring the fusible link along with the owner's manual (to show the exact location of the Link in question) to a Lexus dealer to buy a replacement of same amperage. And the new one has the same size and ampere rating but has different color on the plastic top.

For other problems of yours, I'm sorry I've never had them before so I don't know what to say.

I hope other members might have some helpful input.

Thank you for a reply. Do you remember the amperage of the new one you got? I only have one car and my Lexus dealer is 30 min away from me. If i call the dealer do you think they would till me what the amperage should be? Thank you again

Based on my 1990 LS400, and starting from the left of your picture, the amperages are 30, 120, 40 and 60. And if you look at the inside of the fuse box Cover, you could see "ALT 120A" corresponds to the broken "white" fusible link, 2nd from left on your picture.

Good luck.

Based on my 1990 LS400, and starting from the left of your picture, the amperages are  30, 120, 40 and 60. And if you look at the inside of the fuse box Cover, you could see "ALT 120A" corresponds to the broken "white" fusible link, 2nd from left on your picture.

Good luck.

Thank you so much. I forgot all the info was under the cover of the fuse box :blushing:

• 2 years later...
This is the one i need to know the amperage for. The second one in the picture as you can see the cap that as the amperage on it is broke of. Can anyone look in there car and help me with this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Finding the fusible link saved my day. While in the process of changing the valve assembly of the power steering pump, I short circuited on the wires on the alternator. It shut down my windows, locks, shift etc. Thanks Mikeslexus

When i first got my car i was thinking a fusible link was like a regular fuse and tried to pull it out. I did not know it was screwed in i broke the little plastic top on it that shows what size the fuse is. I went to auto zone and the told me i cant just go by the color of the fusible link which is white in my car they had no white ones in the store. So does anybody here know what is the size of this fusible link one of my +cables from the battery goes straight to this fusible link i hope somebody could help me. Thanks in advance

Just installed one 120 amp fusible link (white is alternator) on my 1991 ls400. Your Lexus dealer has this fuse for about $15.00. 120 amp is the key, if you can find one to match in a local parts store.

• 1 month later...

I am attempting to change the 120 Amp alternator switch on a 1997 Lexus LS 400. I have the correct fuse link from the dealer but can't find out how to get to the bolt that secures this fuse link on the inside.

I have removed the screw and removed the cable at the top of this series of fuselinks and removed the bolt to this fuse on the outside. I just can't figure out how to get to the inside screw to remove and replace this fuse link. Somehow this series of fues is secured toward the front of the car.

Any suggestions so I don't break something. Thanks

Did you fix this problem? What was it. I am having same problem. Alternator is not charging battery. I replaced alt,battery, alt fuse/???

• 1 year later...

I also have the same problem and yea man i broke the back plastic-cover of the amp fuse section too.. don't make my mistake... nudge that section forward away from the middle section of the fusebox a bit and there is a snap- shut lock a screwdriver will pop out and it should release the section... i just took out the alternator fuse and it does look bad, but im not quite sure.. i am going to the Lexus dealership tomorrow to get one and try it out... wish me lucks people

I also have the same problem and yea man i broke the back plastic-cover of the amp fuse section too.. don't make my mistake... nudge that section forward away from the middle section of the fusebox a bit and there is a snap- shut lock a screwdriver will pop out and it should release the section... i just took out the alternator fuse and it does look bad, but im not quite sure.. i am going to the Lexus dealership tomorrow to get one and try it out... wish me lucks people

1992LexiLS400,

How did you remove these things? I also broke a couple of clear covers trying to remove them (still have not been able to do so) - car is a '92 LS400.

Thanks in advance.

Fsuguy :huh:

I did replace one fusible link back in 2004. I'm not sure I still remember correctly. But I know that I had to remove the battery, then loosen/remove at least 2 bolts UNDER the Fusible Link to remove it. It's not the pull-and-plug type of fuse like the regular fuses.

Here is what I found in the Factory Repair Manual:

How to Remove Fusible Link in Fusible Link Block:

1. Remove the battery.

2. Remove the junction block cover.

3. Remove the fusible link block set bolt.

4. Pry loose three locking lugs.

5. Remove two bolts and fusible link.

6. Remove a bolt and disconnect connector and remove FL MAIN fusible link.

I must admit that I don't understand what "FL MAIN" stands for. But I'm sure that I didn't have to remove all of the items as suggested by Lexus. I might have got around by just loosening some of them. I know that this practice is not good (!).

Hope this helps.

Don

• 1 year later...

hey guys i hav the same problem

i got a 90 ls400 its from cali duno if that makes a difference

but yea all my fuseible links r fine i used a test light to it (took the clear cover off)

and also my altenator charges the batt so i duno wuts wrong nothing in the interior works

please and thank you for ur help