Diy Rx330 Oil And Filter Change

• 4 months later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to add my thanks for your taking the trouble to post a detailed set of instructions with pictures. Recently purchased a 2004 and after getting the first service done for free, it was time to DIY. I did note the following:

1) the ground clearance was sufficient that I did not have to raise the vehicle.

2) while I did follow the instructions exactly, it is possible to access and remove the filter from above if you have the correct size end cap oil filter wrench for your socket set. I didn't but will get one for next time. Has anyone else done this and have any comment? I can't recommend this way yet since it might be necessary to remove the panel anyway to clean up oil that drips when you remove the filter. In a few thousand miles I will let you know if this was a good or bad idea.

Again, Thanks.

10) With the panel off, you can now see the oil filter (orange) and a nice gift from the Lexus engineers: an oil catch (green). Loosen the filter, and residual oil will drip out. The oil catch will guide the dripping oil out the oilpan/drainplug panel so position your oil catch below the catch.

6zrfh0.jpg

11) On the new filter, dab a layer of fresh oil on the O-ring (the rubber ring around the outer lip of the open end of the filter). Align the threads of the new filter and spin it by hand onto the engine where the old filter was. When it makes contact, tighten by hand another 3/4 turn. Don't over tighten.

12) Wipe up oil drips. For me, even though the catch was there, some oil still dripped all over the exhaust pipe and panels. Wipe this up.

13) Fill the engine with 5w-30 oil, 5 qts. A funnel is helpful here.

6zr95d.jpg

14) Replace oil cap.

15) Replace both plastic panels.

16) Shut hood and drive around the block. Park the car on level ground and wait 15 minutes. Check for leaks and oil level.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Thanks for an excellent post!

10) With the panel off, you can now see the oil filter (orange) and a nice gift from the Lexus engineers: an oil catch (green). Loosen the filter, and residual oil will drip out. The oil catch will guide the dripping oil out the oilpan/drainplug panel so position your oil catch below the catch.

6zrfh0.jpg

11) On the new filter, dab a layer of fresh oil on the O-ring (the rubber ring around the outer lip of the open end of the filter). Align the threads of the new filter and spin it by hand onto the engine where the old filter was. When it makes contact, tighten by hand another 3/4 turn. Don't over tighten.

12) Wipe up oil drips. For me, even though the catch was there, some oil still dripped all over the exhaust pipe and panels. Wipe this up.

6zr95d.jpg

14) Replace oil cap.

16) Shut hood and drive around the block. Park the car on level ground and wait 15 minutes. Check for leaks and oil level.

Great post...just exactly what I was looking for.

I did take off the wrong panel under the engine and should have taken off the smaller panel in front of the engine.

I would suggest that when re-installing that front engine panel, you should install the two forward bolts first which will help line up the other panel holes and makes it easier at least on my 2004 RX330. Mine wouldnt line up installing the bolts on the rear of the panel first. I wasnt really sure where the two sheet metal screws went as compared to the bolts. I put the screws on the very outside edge of this panel near the headlights.

What surprised me the most was the color of the engine oil when I drained it after 5,000 miles. It didnt appear that dirty on the dipstick but came out pretty dark in the catch pan.

I would have never found the oil filter without this posting. Even the owners manual didnt show it on the front side of the engine.

Keep up the great work with even greater photos.

MoMiner

• 2 weeks later...
I made the DIY because I couldn't find one specifically for the RX330. Lexus also apparently think no RX330 owner would ever change their own oil because they don't tell you how to locate the oil dilter and drain plug in the owner's manual. I hope others find this useful. Please comment.

I have a 2004 RX330 and after 23,000 miles, I've decided I'm going to do minor maintenance myself.

You'll need:

- 5qts of 5w-30 oil

- oil filter (see info below)

- drain plug gasket (see info below)

- 10mm socket wrench

- 14mm socket wrench

- oil catch container

- oil filter wrench (I used the nylon strap which seems pretty versitile)

- either jack stands or ramps

- funnel

- rags to soak up dripping oil

Part numbers:

Lexus parts:

90430-12031 - Gasket Oil Drain Plug

90915-YZZD1-01 - Oil Filter - 6 Cylinder

Toyota equivalent:

904-3012028 or 3012031 drain plug gasket $1.04

089-2202011 oil filter $4.99

1) Jack up the front of your car on stands or use ramps. The RX330 weighs 3850 lbs so make sure your ramps/stands can handle it. You might be able to get away without raising it if you slide on the floor, but it's tight.

6zr6si.jpg

2) Pop your hood and unscrew off the oil cap. I stuck a yellow funnel in mine. Notice the yellow dip stick on the left.

6zr8tw.jpg

3) Lexus put some cosmetic plastic panels to make the "less car savy" believe the car is a magic transportation pod with no ugly mechanical internals. You'll need to remove two of them to access the filter and drain plug. The orange highlight is the panel that hides the filter, and the purple arrow shows where the panel that hides the drain plug is.

6zr969.jpg

4) Get under the car to look for the drain plug panel (purple arrow in above picture). The panel will look like this. Remove all the 10mm bolts.

6zr9mw.jpg

This is great info for RX330, but what about RX350's ? They use a cannister filter instead of a spin on. Info is not readily available, but the panels should be a least similar. I'm about to do mine, so we shall see?

• 5 months later...

Great job ChimChim! My first time to work on a car and this was a breeze. Just can't understand of why I had been paying Lexus ~$75 for a basic oil change, when the best oil and filter and a half hour of work costed me no more than $30 bucks! Thanks for the great description & pictures, the level of details was -just- perfect!!! :D If you are doing more work on your Lexus, do keep all of us newbies in mind; looking to read more from you. :)

With my recent experience, my next DIY project is changing brake pads and rotors, any advice folks?

Cheers' :cheers:

AB

• 3 months later...

:D

6zrfh0.jpg

6zr95d.jpg

14) Replace oil cap.

Great job ChimChim! My first time to work on a car and this was a breeze. Just can't understand of why I had been paying Lexus ~$75 for a basic oil change, when the best oil and filter and a half hour of work costed me no more than $30 bucks! Thanks for the great description & pictures, the level of details was -just- perfect!!! :D If you are doing more work on your Lexus, do keep all of us newbies in mind; looking to read more from you. :)

With my recent experience, my next DIY project is changing brake pads and rotors, any advice folks?

AB

There is a guide on edmunds.com

I've never done this(brake job), but I want to try.

• 5 weeks later...

Great Post.

The one thing that I found was that previous to me someone had over tightened the bolts on the panels... so after I was done, I put the panels back on and set sail on to a 4 hour roadtrip. But I soon found out while doing about 90 m/h and the panel came loose, and there was a rather lound sound of plastic rubbing blacktop under my truck :( . I was SURE that I had tightened them. but sure enough the bolts had come loose on there own. Luckily I had a coat hanger, that was able to temprarily secure it with until I hit civilization, and then I ended up having to find a slightly larger set of bolts to hold it up.

But moral of the story, travel with a coat hange... jk, be aware that this may occur.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

AB

There is a guide on edmunds.com

I've never done this(brake job), but I want to try.

Brake job on an RX is a piece of cake... All you need is a socket set, and at least a 6 inch C clamp to depress the calliper... If you've done any barake job b4 you'll be pleasently surprised... Losts of room to work makes it easy peazy...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This might be my first post. I can't remember. We recently purchased my wife's '06 RX330. I'll try to find a "new members" forum to say hi...

Since this thread seems to have been revived recently... Has anybody used a Fumoto Quikvalve drain valve on their RX? I love the one I have on my Tacoma, and I'm considering getting one for my wife's RX. I just need to know if there is room under the panel. It appears from the pictures that there is... anybody know for sure?

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, you can find the product here: http://www.qwikvalve.com/home.php

All Lexus engines (and all Toyota engines since 1993) take part # F103

Great write up on the oil change, btw. Thanks to the OP.

• 4 weeks later...

There's an easier way to get to the oil filter. I just took the heat shield off the exhaust manifold and then I could access the filter from the top of the car- three 10mm bolts and it was off. If you don't take the shield off, the filter won't fit between the shield and the cooling fan to get it out.

Also put some paper towels under the filter to catch any dripping oil. So much easier than removing that access panel under the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice instructions.

Just curious, does anyone know why there are two different part numbers even when both are from Toyota?

Part numbers:

Lexus parts:

90430-12031 - Gasket Oil Drain Plug

90915-YZZD1-01 - Oil Filter - 6 Cylinder

Toyota equivalent:

904-3012028 or 3012031 drain plug gasket $1.04

089-2202011 oil filter $4.99

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Excellent writeup. However, why would you want to change the oil while the car is on the ramp? I guess you would want the car to be ground level so all of the oil get out.

You're right, preference is to not drain while on ramps. However, I can't reach it otherwise. Plus I don't think it's that bad because the plug points to the rear.

• 1 month later...

Excellet post and with the pictures its very instructional.

I have a couple of comments. I dont think its necessary to replace the drain plug gasket everytime you drain the oil. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and in 10 years only replace the gasket once. It depends on the condition of the gasket so its up to the owner to inspect and replace if necessary.

Also in my MX-5 I replace the oil drain plug with a product called Fumoto Valve. This is use to replace the drain plug. The nice thing about this is to drain the oil you dont have to remove any drain plug. You just slide a small lever to open the valve and oil drains out. There is no need to replace any drain plug gasket either. I bought this thru the internet and it cost about $30. I believe there are similar products in the market now. (I am not associated with Fumoto or anybody). I will be using the fumoto on my 2010 RX 350 after the 25,000 free maintenance period.

• 2 weeks later...
The 6 month, 5,000 mile service interval is the recommended MINIMUM allowable service interval required to keep the powertrain warranty in effect. It's an adequate interval to follow for owners who plan to sell / trade by the time the 6 year / 70,000 mile powertrain warranty expires.

However, owners who desire a troublefree Lexus for alot more years and miles should change the oil even more frequently.

Lots of first time Toyota / Lexus owners have unrealistic expectations. They expect a Toyota / Lexus to be troublefree for many years even if they do not keep up with the recommended MINIMUM allowable service intervals. These owners risk setting themselves up for a big dissappointment.

What do you suggest? every 3000 miles?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had followed these steps to the T in the past and it allowed me to do the change my self. Over the weekend it was time again to do it. I did notice that Lexus has left a small opening in the panel in front of the oil pan drain plug, allowing one to drain the oil with out removing the panels. Now the question was that darn hidden oil filter, can I get to it without being able to see it. Well the fact is if I hadn't done it previously following the steps out lined in this thread I would never know where it is. But now that I do I attempted to see if I can in fact reach it from the top. Mind you I am just over 6 feet, so I may have a reach advantage... But I was able to feel around and find it. So, as a result my oil change experience is now less than 10 minutes. :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...