Low Oil Pressure

oohryry

Anyone ever had a problem on the 98 LS400 and up with the instrument panel reading low oil pressure. It usually comes up while I am at a stop light or stop sign. If I place the car in neutral while I'm stopped it almost always goes away except on rare occasions. I have my oil changed every 3000 miles at Midas. They do a great job, but they have no idea why the low oil pressure reading is displayed because they said everything on the Lexus is computerized. So before I spend $100 at the dealer just to tell me I have low oil pressure, I thought I'd ask you guys if you have a theory or solution as to why the pressure is low.

Thanks.

Also if anyone is having problems with their throttle body causing the check engine light and VSC to go off, if you leave your air conditioner running, I noticed it stops. I'll be leaving it on until I get $1375 for a new throttle body replacement.

Anyone ever had a problem on the 98 LS400 and up with the instrument panel reading low oil pressure.  It usually comes up while I am at a stop light or stop sign.  If I place the car in neutral while I'm stopped it almost always goes away except on rare occasions.  I have my oil changed every 3000 miles at Midas.  They do a great job, but they have no idea why the low oil pressure reading is displayed because they said everything on the Lexus is computerized.  So before I spend $100 at the dealer just to tell me I have low oil pressure, I thought I'd ask you guys if you have a theory or solution as to why the pressure is low.

Thanks.

Also if anyone is having problems with their throttle body causing the check engine light and VSC to go off, if you leave your air conditioner running, I noticed it stops.  I'll be leaving it on until I get $1375 for a new throttle body replacement.

Which oil light came on? The red or yellow one? I would hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to see what kind of pressure you are getting. Pressure at idle have to be 43 psi or more. At 3000 rpm pressure should be from 43-85 psi. If pressure reading is ok, take a look at your pressure switch. Let us know sir.

JP Importz

Anyone ever had a problem on the 98 LS400 and up with the instrument panel reading low oil pressure.  It usually comes up while I am at a stop light or stop sign.  If I place the car in neutral while I'm stopped it almost always goes away except on rare occasions.  I have my oil changed every 3000 miles at Midas.  They do a great job, but they have no idea why the low oil pressure reading is displayed because they said everything on the Lexus is computerized.  So before I spend $100 at the dealer just to tell me I have low oil pressure, I thought I'd ask you guys if you have a theory or solution as to why the pressure is low.

Thanks.

Also if anyone is having problems with their throttle body causing the check engine light and VSC to go off, if you leave your air conditioner running, I noticed it stops.  I'll be leaving it on until I get $1375 for a new throttle body replacement.

Which oil light came on? The red or yellow one? I would hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to see what kind of pressure you are getting. Pressure at idle have to be 43 psi or more. At 3000 rpm pressure should be from 43-85 psi. If pressure reading is ok, take a look at your pressure switch. Let us know sir.

JP Importz

There is no oil light on, Just the instrument panel section that tells you the average miles per gallon you are getting, average distance, left front door open, etc. The green screen says low oil pressure when I come to a stop or turning a slight sharp curve on the street or highway. No yellow or red light comes on.

You did check the oil level didn't you? It sounds like soemthing that happens when the level is way down. Maybe the Midas dudes only put in 3 quarts because soemone wasn't paying attention.

• 4 weeks later...
I've seen this happen when you dont add enough oil.  4 quarts instead of 5 will do it.  Check it and let us know.

Ok, here's the deal. I've researched certain problems with low oil pressure and come up with SLUDGE. Engine Sludge is usually the culprit for the low oil pressure reading in Toyota Sienna, Camry, and Lexus ES 300. Now my LS400 is reading low oil pressure more frequently starting today. Engine sludge comes from the extreme heat causing the oil to gel. This has been a problem I noticed on a lot of websites with 1997-2002 Toyota's, Volkswagon, and other makes. When I check my oil level, I have to use tissue to pull up the dipstick because it is so hot to the touch. That seems abnormal to me. Most of the websites say the engines are subject to hot spots because of faulty design. I am starting to believe it. I am switching to full synthetic oil tonight and using engine cleaner to try and remove the sludge before my engine is damaged because I heard Toyota is blaming the customers for negligence to oil changes. Bull, I don't wait 7500mi, I change my oil in 3500mi intervals. I'll let you know the outcome.

If you want to know what the actual oil pressure is JPI told you the right thing to do: "hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to see what kind of pressure you are getting." Only a Toyota or Lexus dealer or Toyota specialty shop should perform this check. If the mechanical pressure gauge indicates normal pressure, then you can breathe a sign of relief since that means only the inexpensive oil pressure gauge or associated wiring is faulty.

If the mechanical pressure gauge indicates abnormally low oil pressure then the engine was damaged at some point due to running low on oil, wildly extending oil change intervals, etc. and engine replacement will likely be necessary sooner than later. However, if your engine still runs very smoothly and quietly without ticking or knocking noises, chances are very high your oil pressure is normal and just the oil pressure gauge / wiring is faulty.

Low oil pressure problems cannot be prevented or cured with engine oil additives or by using synthetic oil.

You could check and clean the oil pressure guage......its right around the oil filter...

Change your oil again and take a look at it...and clean....

I believe this has happened before and the cleaning did the trick...if not: do as JPI & Monarch said and get a accurate pressure check.