Rx 300 Time Belt And Water Pump

gadget

I have a 2000 RX 300 90,000 miles. Time to change the timing belt. Dealer has a promo of 349.00 complete plus 45.00 to change the other 2 belts (forgot the names) No addional labor cost since the belts need to be removed anyway.

The dealer also said it is good idea to change the water pump and seals at the same time for an addional 700.00. for a new total of 1050.00 vs. only 349.00

The car runs beautifully. Some how i think that since the timing belt is only 349.00 and the water pump is so much more....I might as well Just do the Timing belt.

What is your opinion......thank you

The price you've received for replacing the timing belt and the other belts is reasonable, especially at a Lexus dealer. Where they are trying to get it back is with the water-pump change. If the timing belt is due for replacement I would also replace the water-pump at the same time; the timing belt has to be removed to replace the water-pump anyway. Before you have the work done I would get an estimate for the COMPLETE job from a TOYOTA dealer. A Toyota Highlander is the same vehicle as far as the engine and drive-train is concerned. The Toyota dealer will be much less expensive and the parts used are EXACTLY THE SAME!

The RX300 timing belt is very thick, wide, and well-made when compared to the timing belts used in many other similar vehicles. Although the recommended change interval is indeed published as 90,000 miles, my local Lexus service manager has admitted to me that they have never seen one fail before 120,000 miles. The owner of a high-end repair shop that specializes in Lexus and Infiniti told me last autumn that he routinely expects these particular timing belts to last 150,000 miles before he advises his clients to think about changing them.

Whatever you decide to do, you'll get a far better deal and the same exact parts if you choose a Toyota service department to do your work. There is no need to pay a premium to Lexus unless you enjoy significantly overpaying for service.

The RX300 timing belt is very thick, wide, and well-made when compared to the timing belts used in many other similar vehicles.  Although the recommended change interval is indeed published as 90,000 miles, my local Lexus service manager has admitted to me that they have never seen one fail before 120,000 miles.  The owner of a high-end repair shop that specializes in Lexus and Infiniti told me last autumn that he routinely expects these particular timing belts to last 150,000 miles before he advises his clients to think about changing them.

Whatever you decide to do, you'll get a far better deal and the same exact parts if you choose a Toyota service department to do your work.  There is no need to pay a premium to Lexus unless you enjoy significantly overpaying for service.

Thanks for the tips...as far as how long a belt will last can be questionable..Obviously the dealer wants to avoid problems as well as make money....My last Lexus 400 after 125,000 broke the timing belt and the car was never the same again...I rode just like new even at 125,000 miles...when you sat in the car with engine running you could not even tell....no vibration at all and the hood did not even show any vibration...unbelievable....That changed instantly after the belt was replaced.....other damage was obviously done....got rid ot the car at auction through a dealer.... Thank you all...I just feel that i wanted to change the belt on my RX 300 but really did not want to go for so much additional money for the water pump... I never hear about a water pump going and when it does....i don't think it does damage like a broken timing belt. Thanks again

Thanks for the tips...as far as how long a belt will last can be questionable..Obviously the dealer wants to avoid problems as well as make money....My last Lexus 400 after 125,000 broke the timing belt and the car was never the same again...I rode just like new even at 125,000 miles...when you sat in the car with engine running you could not even tell....no vibration at all and the hood did not even show any vibration...unbelievable....That changed instantly after the belt was replaced.....other damage was obviously done....got rid ot the car at auction through a dealer.... Thank you all...I just feel that i wanted to change the belt on my RX 300 but really did not want to go for so much additional money for the water pump... I never hear about a water pump going and when it does....i don't think it does damage like a broken timing belt. Thanks again

• 5 years later...