2000 Gs Lexus Timing Belt

Hello all,

I'm currently own 2000 Lexus GS 300 Platinum series, my car just turn to 62k miles, i just wonder if you guys know that, Should I change my timing belt when it reaches 62K miles, or should i wait until 90K miles, i heard rumor that i should change every 60K miles, and some told me that i should change every 90K. i really don't know much about car. and i really don't want my car broke down in the middle of nowhere, and what should i do beside change timing belt? any other part related. :(

thank you so much for you help !!!

:cheers:

Manufacture recommends 90k but if you dont feel comfortable feel free to change it. I would personally take the car in for its 60k mile service and have the technician carefully examine the condition of the belts. If they look bad, the tech's will let you know. Take a look at this link for more info regards to the 60k mile service: http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/Mainten...ng.feature..4.*

Its not listed on edmunds but does anyone know when to replace the spark plugs on the GS?

90,000 is great for timing belt.

I changed mine in my SC at 150,000 and it did not even look worn.

Tom

FWIW this is what I found SC 300 1993-1997 are interference engine use timing belt T215 and need changing at 60,000 miles

SC300 1998-2000 are NOT interference engine use timing belt T 215 and needs changing at 90,000 miles

Note that they use the same timing belt T 215 yet one is changed at 60,000 and the other at 90,000 :huh:

Win

Interesting.....

My dealer told me the exact opposite on Interference vs. Non-interference.

The newer engines (which have variable valve timing) are the ones that interfere when the belt goes.

Can anyone confirm??

My manual states 90,000 miles for my '97 SC300.

Tom

• 2 years later...

I have a 1999 GS 300. No one two dealers have told me if I have an interference engine or not. I have 95K miles on it with the original timing belt. I can't spend a lot of money on it and was wondering if it is MANDATORY for me to replace the timing belt or not. If it is....is it anything that I can do by myself in my garage?

I have a 1999 GS 300. No one two dealers have told me if I have an interference engine or not. I have 95K miles on it with the original timing belt. I can't spend a lot of money on it and was wondering if it is MANDATORY for me to replace the timing belt or not. If it is....is it anything that I can do by myself in my garage?

just talked to the dealer and they said that I do have an INTERFERENCE engine. Can anyone confirm this?

I just got a callback from the lexus dealer and he said he asked their head mechanic and the difinitive answer is that for any GS 300 built AFTER 1997 is a NON-INTERFERENCE engine. And those built 1997 and earlier, have an INTERFERENCE engine.

I have a 98 GS300 and replaced my timing belt at 100K miles. The belt wasnt terrible & wasnt great either. I'd say it was the perfect time for replacement. When replacing, I would recommend sticking with a genuine Lexus timing belt, not an aftermarket one. The timing belt is cheap from Lexus so dont skimp out.

• 4 weeks later...

Do anyone know if it is too risky to change timing belt in local shop rather than dealer? What if it messes up? I am worry as I do not know nothing about cars.

The local shop has experience changing timing belts in a lot of toyota and hondas. Shop price is $300 and dealer asks for $600.

Thank you for your answers.

The local shop has experience changing timing belts in a lot of toyota and hondas. Shop price is $300 and dealer asks for $600.

Thank you for your answers.

There is nothing the dealer can do that an independent shop can't. If it's a competent shop there is no reason not to have the work done there. You can also have a Toyota dealer do the work for generally considerably less than Lexus, but that still may be more than your independent shop.