Removing Window Switches/door Panel

My car is a 97 Windom. I has been thinking it is exactly the same as 97 ES300. However, when I try to follow the directions of the posts on removing door panel or window switches, I was unsuccessful. So I wonder if the door of my97 Windom is the same as 97 ES300. I have attached a picture of the driver's side door of my car here. Appreciate if you could tell me whether the driver's side door of your 97 ES300 look like that.

What I want to do is to remove the window switches assembly to fix a faulty switch.

Thank you in advance.

post-10274-1111906242_thumb.jpg

The es is left and the windom is right hand drive, pretty muh the end of differences.

To remove the door what did you do already?

Did you remove th main screw under the flet on the inside door pull/pocket?

Most of it is snap plugs that will pop off when the door panel is pulled towards you.

The es is left and the windom is right hand drive, pretty muh the end of differences.

To remove the door what did you do already?

Did you remove th main screw under the flet on the inside door pull/pocket?

Most of it is snap plugs that will pop off when the door panel is pulled towards you.

Thanks for replying. I did the following already:

1. removed the main screw in the little compartment where the door pull handle is.

2. pulled the door panel towards myself and was able to pop out 6 or 7 snap plugs along the vertical sides and the bottom of the panel.

3. However, the top side of the panel where the glass ascends/descends was still very tight. I pulled quite hard but could pop out any snap plugs. I'm not sure whether there are any snap plugs along that side.

As I mainly want to remove the switch assembly to fix a switch, I also tried prying the woodtrim panel as directed in other posts, but was also unsuccessful. I managed to insert a taped flathead screwdriver in between the woodtrim panel and the door panel and pried, but could not pop it out.

Please enlighten me again. The little tweeter is sitting on the upper left corner of the door panel, preventing the panel from being lifted straight up (please see attached photo). Shall I lift from the other end?

Also, if the door panel is lifted up with the door handle and its little comparment, will it be easy to re-dock with the door open/lock mechanism when re-installing the door panel?

Thanks again.

post-10274-1112029458_thumb.jpg

on the 95ES you also have to pop out the door handle trim (the plastic rectangular piece) surrounding the door handle. looks like it may be the same with the newer ES's. the inside door handle does not come out along with the door panel and this trim piece also prevents the panel from being removed. be very careful and patient when trying to pop out the trim piece so that you won't puncture the panel or break the trim piece/door handle. the tweeter won't be in the way when you're ready to lift the door panel up as SKp described.

Thanks for the advice and information. I've made progress and almost succeed. I managed to do the following:

1. removed the door handle compartment

2. pulled off the housing of the tweeter

3. popped out the snap plugs

However, I was unable to lift the door panel up. I could lift the a little bit from the end where the tweeter is, but could not lift from the other end.

I read from another post (which quotes 97 ES300 worksop manual) that there is another screw to be removed before the panel can be lifted. The link of the post is copy below for your reference:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ving+door+panel

However, this internal screw can be seen and removed only if the power switch assembly is removed. However, the problem is I also don't know how to remove the power switch assembly. I try prying as directed but was unsuccessful.

Thanks again.

Eric,

What the other guys have told you is pretty much on the money. The only thing yet to do is lift out the entire power window switch assembly WITH the wooden trim panel that surrounds it. Once you have it out, you'll find another screw that goes through the door panel into the door itself. Once you take it out, the door panel can be lifted up and off. BUT...that wooden trim piece around the power window switches must be pried out first. Pages BO-14 and BO-15 of the 97 Owner's Manual says no more than to" pry it out carefully using a taped screw driver "(to prevent scratching the plastic pieces). The diagrams show no fasteners of any type. It will be in there with just spring clips. Its not going to come out easily. You will have to use force on it to get it to pop out. But it must come out this way, as the diagrams and instructions show a screw underneath the panel that can't be gotten to in any other manner. Take your time, use moderate force, and you should get it out without doing any damage. Good luck...and let us know how you make out! ( By the way... you'll have to disconnect the wiring from the courtesy light before the door panel comes off.

I did it! Thanks very much for all your directions. I'd like to share with you what I did.

1. Prying out the woodtrim panel of the switch assembly

There is a little trick in prying out the woodtrim panel of the switch assembly. It is better to pry from the long side first, then from the short side closer to the door hinge. The spring clip is at this short side. Never pry from the other short side (closer to the door latch) because there is a plastic tab there. Prying from this side will break the plastic tab. (I broke it, but managed to glue it back with instant glue.)

BTW, I managed to fix the broken switch for the driver's window. Actually it was the button that was broken and not the switch. The button broken at the hinge. I glued it back and how it is working great.

2. Removing the housing of the tweeter

It was a lot easier to lift up the door panel after the tweeter housing has been removed. I even detached the tweeter to make it even easier to re-install the panel. I just removed the nut holding the tweeter, disconnected the connector and it came out easily. (BTW, I found the tweeter has a broken wire and so it has been mute for a long time. I've soldered the wire back and now it is singing sweetly.)

3. Prying out the door handle trim

There is a little trick in prying out the door handle trim after removing the screw. It has to be pried at the hinge of the door handle from inside the door handle trim, becuase the door handle trim has 2 rings that click into hinge of the door handle. I pried from outside the compartment and broken the 2 rings. It could still be securely installed back, though.

4. Removing the snap plugs of the door panel

The 7 snap plugs form a U-shape. There are no snap plugs at the top. The bottom ones (2 of them) need to be pried out carefully. Do not pull the panel to pop out these 2 plugs, because excessive force will break the bond between the door pocket and the door panel.

5. Removing the door panel

After removing all screws and popping out all the snap plugs, I lifted the door panel straight up and pulled towards myself to take it off.

That was how I did it. Hope this can serve as another reference to others.

• 5 years later...