Speedo Does Not Move

RAguda

I own a 91 LS 400 and the speedo does not move. Everything else in the instrument cluster, including odometer is working fine. I have replaced the speedometer housing at the transmission and still no good. Anyone have any idea before I tear apart the inst cluster? Any available clusters out there?

i would recommend you to check on ebay on a regular basis. ive seen them there couple of times. and also if you see some1 selling parts from your model email them and ask them if they have the part. some people do $ by buyin total lost cars and selling them by parts on ebay.

• 3 weeks later...

If your odometer and cruise control are working then the speed sensor on the tranny should be ok. The speed signal that goes to the cruise control is routed through the instrument cluster so a good cruise control operation should mean that the speed signal is getting to the instrument cluster. I had this problem with my 93 LS 400, it would work randomly whenever it felt like it. I think your problem is definitely in the instrument cluster. On my car, the tachometer was also intermittent in operation. I pulled my instrument cluster and just cleaned up all the connectors on the flex-plate and generally tightened and cleaned up everything. This fixed everything, both tach and speedo worked for about a week and then started acting the same. I pulled the instrument cluster again and got out the soldering iron to resolder connections on the circuit boards , especially on the ground plane pcb traces. I made sure that I had good ground, power, and signal connections all the way through the circuit boards to the tach and speedo needles and so far, everything is working good at the time. If it continues to work for at least a month, I will consider it a good fix.

Curt

Hey I'm new here, but I had a similar problem that had a different source obergc and I spent a fortune finding out.

The speedo would work at times then randomly plunge to zero. Then sometimes it would jump back to my current speed, and sometimes it would hit 160(going 80mph). From what I hear this is fairly common. . . I think especially since it is intermittent it more than likely is the same problem. I had a Lexus dealer *sigh* *wasted money* diagnose the problem and it turns out the speed sensor in one of the wheels was faulty. I believe there are three total, one on the tranny and one on each wheel? Anyway I had a seperate import shop swap the speed sensor for a new one and the problem was fixed. $90 for the Lexus inspection, and if I recall(I did this almost half a year ago) the job costed $240.

1990 LS 400

I have a similar problem on a 91 LS w/ 150,000 miles. The only difference is that the overdrive-disabled light flashes on and off. The car runs perfectly otherwise, and shifts to O/D as it always has. With a little google research, it sounds like the culprit most likely is the PCB that controls the cluster. Does anyone have a good source to repair or replace these for reasonable cost? Any other ideas as to potential cause? The instrument lights (including needles) themselves work fine.