Timing Belt Intervals

Jimhof

CA -- That's definitely BS about the timing belt being PM at 50K.

I just had mine done in Scottsdale at 80K, only because they were in there and it was easy to complete at the time. They told me I could get more miles out of it, but it would be more labor in the future b/c they would have to remove all the parts again...

when you get quotes for $1200 and $1600 for timing belts, make sure the dealer specifies what they are doing or make sure you specifiy what you specifically want done.  They may be giving you the quote for the 90k service which includes timing belt replacement in most dealerships.  So you may be getting the whole shabbang for the high price.

steviej

I still have about 30,000 miles to go personally until I need this service done on my 01. As many of you know, I have 2 indepentent shops that handle my servicing. Because of the importance, I think it's a wise move to get this work done (tb,wp, seals & the like) done at the dealer just to be safe.

Any Canadians have this done & what the total cost for all this work was (parts & labour)? either at Toyota &/or Lexus? :unsure:

:cheers:

fallabel, if you've never changed a timing belt I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a friend who really knows what they're doing. I did most maintenance on my Eclipse GSX (brakes, clutch, turbo, suspension, etc.) so I thought I could complete the T-belt/H2o pump job. Talk about a cramped engine bay! I probably could have completed it if I had an air compressor and impact wrench as trying to get the crank pulley off without the air tools is next to impossible. Not to mention the 4G63T is an interference engine and if your off with the pistons it's going to cost you. It's also nice to have a second car as it's definitely a full weekend job.

Yeah, Lexusfreak. I'm in the same boat and would like to know what it cost other Canucks to have this done. I'm closing in on 190 000 km and don't know if it was done yet. We do all our service at local dealer and I asked about it. They weren't too worried -- mine's a '96 which, unless I am wrong, is a non-interference engine -- even if the belt failed. The shop doesn't shove the high cost service intervals done your throat. (Though I have paid around $200 for an oil change and general inspection/PM stuff).

Overall, the Halifax dealership is really great. I am usually pretty cheap, but after a couple visits with their service dept, I don't mind spending around $80 for an oil change vs. the $20 Cheapo Charley job on the corner. Every time its in for work (even a $15 Motor Vehicle Inspection) it gets cleaned inside and out and we get a loaner! :D

Sorry, I rambled. Just thought I'd share the love re. our dealership since so often on auto forums there's a "Stealership" rant. But I digress ... frequently, just ask my wife! :whistles:

fallabel, if you've never changed a timing belt I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a friend who really knows what they're doing.  I did most maintenance on my Eclipse GSX (brakes, clutch, turbo, suspension, etc.) so I thought I could complete the T-belt/H2o pump job.  Talk about a cramped engine bay!  I probably could have completed it if I had an air compressor and impact wrench as trying to get the crank pulley off without the air tools is next to impossible.  Not to mention the 4G63T is an interference engine and if your off with the pistons it's going to cost you.  It's also nice to have a second car as it's definitely a full weekend job.

Agreed Noya. B)

:cheers: