Timing Belt Intervals

Jimhof

We have a 2000 ES300 and the timing belt change interval is shown as 90000. We had a 1997 before and the interval was 120000. We had no problem waiting to 120000 before. Are the dealers just trying to make more money since they also want to replace the water pump and helf a dozen other items? They didn't do all that on our '97. I want to do what the car needs, but many times I've found the factory recommendation are much more than's needed. If I wait until later, can the engine be damaged if it breaks? That is, can the valves float clear.

Thx

Jim

your 2000 ES is an "interference" engine meaning that damage could/will occur the timing belt break while the engine is running.

keep in mind, that the maintanence schedule is suggested by the manufacturer, you are free to perform any of these services when you see fit. You can pay them now or you can pay them later. :whistles:

Personally I would shop around and find the best price. When my 02 hits 90k I will go for broke and do the water pump, pulleys, tensioner, thermostat, seals and TB. I have got a good inde up here who is lexus and toyota certified. Check out Toyota service centers as well as independents and Lexus. Shop around, this is a steep one.

steviej

Keep in mind that the waterpump on these cars normally last 90-100k. If the waterpump bearing wears out & seizes up i'll take out the timing belt & with the interference engine it will usually bent the valves which will require extensive cylinder head work. I normally have the belt replaced between 90-100k. Better safe than sorry.

your 2000 ES is an "interference" engine meaning that damage could/will occur the timing belt break while the engine is running.

keep in mind, that the maintanence schedule is suggested by the manufacturer, you are free to perform any of these services when you see fit.  You can pay them now or you can pay them later. :whistles:

Personally I would shop around and find the best price.  When my 02 hits 90k I will go for broke and do the water pump, pulleys, tensioner, thermostat, seals and TB.  I have got a good inde up here who is lexus and toyota certified.  Check out Toyota service centers as well as independents and Lexus.  Shop around, this is a steep one.

steviej

Steve- Dumb question but what/where are these seals? ARe these for the pulleys, valve???

My ES.98, goes in for "all the above" in about 8K miles.

I'm sure Steve is referring to the camshaft & crankshaft seals which are located behind the timing belt cover. These seals are normally replaced during a timing belt replacement.  Sorry Steve, didn't mean an disrespect by answering the question.

you are absolutely right as to the seals I was referring to.

And no disrespect taken. I'm glad Mike's question was answered in a timely manner.

steviej

Thanks for the responses guys. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly cautious in maintaining it. It set me back a little to see a $1300 service bill coming around. Thought they may be doing more than is really needed.

Thanks for the responses guys. I wanted to make sure I wasn't being overly cautious in maintaining it. It set me back a little to see a $1300 service bill coming around. Thought they may be doing more than is really needed.

$1300!!! for what? Can you list the items you wanted done?

$1300 sounds more like the 90k service price which includes the total TB replacement.

steviej

Well I called around (3) Lexus dealers and boy, the prices for the SAME thing are a joke.

Herb Chambers (MA): (Water pump & Timing Belt): $850.00 plus tax

Hoffman (CT); Timing Belt $500, and Water pump is $200: $700

Balise (MA): Timing belt $399.95, Water pump $212.50: $616.50

Hoffma and Blaise all state they check WP and to see if you need but the prices are listed.

All prices are installed. The prices are weird.

I also asked about the items Stevej listed:

(water pump, pulleys, tensioner, thermostat, seals and TB)

Herb Chambers: #1250.XX

Hoffman: Around $980

Balise: Aroud $1,000

• 1 month later...
I have got a good inde up here who is lexus and toyota certified.  Check out Toyota service centers as well as independents and Lexus.  Shop around, this is a steep one.

steviej

Stieviej,

I'm in the Mass area as well, could you share with me who you think lexus and toyota certified shops?

Thanks

Luccetti's on Rt 139 in Marshfield. excellent prices and serives.

Sullivan Bros AutoMall of Rt 3 in Kingston (Toyota dealer but Lexus certified).

I am very satisfied with Lexus of Norwood, but I have also developed a good repore with them.

steviej

Luccetti's on Rt 139 in Marshfield.  excellent prices and serives.

Sullivan Bros AutoMall of Rt 3 in Kingston (Toyota dealer but Lexus certified).

I am very satisfied with Lexus of Norwood, but I have also developed a good repore with them. 

steviej

I agree that Lexus of Norwood (herb chambers) is very good, but (in my eyes) they are not that good for the extra $234.XX for the same service that I got from another Lexus dealer.

My guess is they sell the cars for less but make up for it with higher service prices.

Thanks to both Steve and Mike.

You guys know the es300 real well and always offer good advice!

I do not know the ES that well or as good as Steve in this case. :)

I just know what I do by asking and since I just got all this stuff done about 3 weeks ago. I really wanted to go to Herb Chambers since I like there staff etc, but when I saw the price (and the 1.5 hour drive) I said no way...and then called around.

So my local Lexus dealer (15 minutes down the road) was cheaper with TB, WB, drive belts, cam& crank seals then HC wanted just for the TB and WP...weird.

That is why I called Eric Scarpellini at Herb Chamber and boy, BONG.

Hello,

I had a similar question but didn't want to start a new string so I hope I'm not encroaching on someone else's territory.

I have a 98 ES300 and only have 50K on it so far. But the dealer is recommending I change the Timing Belt package since it's been about 6 years since I had my car. Total for the replacement will run me around $1,475. :cries:

Do you think the replacement is really necessary or they're puching to make $$ off me?

Thanks,

Jully

That's way to early. Wait until 100K or 10-15 years or whenever (if ever) your water pump starts leaking. Almost no one on this forum or other Toyota forums has had a timing belt break at under 100K expect a few owners with 2 Fast, 2 Furious type driving habits around town. Relaxed highway drivers have gotten up to 190K miles out of a belt.

Thanks. I wish I looked into this a bit sooner.

Seems they have already started work and they are quite adamant that it's necessary for preventative measure.

However, for my next Timing Belt replacement, I will definitely keep this in mind! :blushing:

my car's timing belt was changed @130,000 also i told them to changed water pump. and other belts. total cost was $450. He also checked cam seal and crank shaft seal. was good. we didn't changed.

Even i waited so long, next time i like to changed @90,000(220,000)

Hope this will help.

Hello,

I had a similar question but didn't want to start a new string so I hope I'm not encroaching on someone else's territory.

I have a 98 ES300 and only have 50K on it so far.  But the dealer is recommending I change the Timing Belt package since it's been about 6 years since I had my car. Total for the replacement will run me around $1,475.  :cries:

Do you think the replacement is really necessary or they're puching to make $$ off me?

Thanks,

Jully

Wow, that "total replacement" must mean a gold plated timing belt or something.

I did mine at around 82K miles. Yes, I could have gone a little longer but I do not need the TB to break out in the middle of norwhere. It might never happen but for me the $399 is good to know where I stand.

That being stated a non Lexus dealer should be cheaper. I had way to many issues with non-dealers so I stick them the dealers for main repair items. The rest I can do.

keep in mind, that the maintanence schedule is suggested by the manufacturer, you are free to perform any of these services when you see fit.  You can pay them now or you can pay them later.  :whistles:

Personally I would shop around and find the best price.  When my 02 hits 90k I will go for broke and do the water pump, pulleys, tensioner, thermostat, seals and TB.  I have got a good inde up here who is lexus and toyota certified.  Check out Toyota service centers as well as independents and Lexus.  Shop around, this is a steep one.

steviej

Agreed! B) :D Well said Steve!

:cheers:

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with your ES300.

I wonder if Los Angeles area Lexus dealers are just a tad more expensive than other areas.

I called several other dealers and they're quoting that it's a timing thing besides being the milage thing... same old story. <_<

Anyways, some even quoted upto $1,600 for the Timing Belt replacement!!

Well, I guess I learned from my mistakes and will shop around a bit more in the future.

I really appreciate all your input!

Thanks! :)

Jully

when you get quotes for $1200 and $1600 for timing belts, make sure the dealer specifies what they are doing or make sure you specifiy what you specifically want done. They may be giving you the quote for the 90k service which includes timing belt replacement in most dealerships. So you may be getting the whole shabbang for the high price.

steviej

• 4 months later...