Changing Brake Pads On A Es250...

has anybody done it? I've never done it before any tips steps maybe even a write-up. Thanks.

just like any other car.

But i will help ya out since you said you have never done it. its not really that hard. shoudl take you less than 1 hour to change pads and rotors on the front of this (and most) cars.

discbrake.jpg

It isnt that hard, dont freak out cause of the pic.

1. Loosen the lug nuts slightly for the wheels.

2. Raise and support the vehicle safely.

3. Remove the wheels.

4. On rear brake pads, remove the brake hose mounting bracket attached to the strut.

5. Siphon a sufficient quantity of brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir to prevent any brake fluid from overflowing the master cylinder when removing or installing new pads. This is necessary as the piston must be forced into the caliper bore to provide sufficient clearance when installing the pads.

6. Grasp the caliper from behind and carefully pull it to seat the piston in its bore.

7. On some models it will be necessary to remove the 2 caliper mounting pins (bolts), then remove the caliper assembly. Suspend the caliper with a wire. On other calipers, remove just the lower bolt and lift the caliper up and suspend it from a wire. Do not disconnect the brake line.

0900823d8013f8c3.gif

^Fig. 1: Remove the lower caliper bolt using two wrenches, one to retain and one to loosen-front shown ^

0900823d8013f8c4.gif

^Fig. 2: The lower bolt is a small one as seen here^

0900823d8013f8c5.gif

^Fig. 3: Lift up the outer portion of the caliper and suspend with wire if necessary-front shown^

0900823d8013f8c6.gif

^Fig. 4: Remove the upper and lower anti squeal springs attached to the edges of the pads-front ^

0900823d8013f8c7.gif

^Fig. 5: Pull the outer pad towards you to remove-front shown...

Continued in next post...

0900823d8013f8c8.gif

^Fig. 5: Pull the shim from the pad and save if not supplied in the new set of pads-front shown^

0900823d8013f8c9.gif

^Fig. 6: Remove the four pad support plates which look like clips on either side of the pads-front shown^

0900823d8013f8ca.gif

^Fig. 7: The pad wear indicators are located on the top of the pads-front shown^

0900823d8013f8cb.gif

^Fig. 8: Compress the caliper piston before placing over the pads when assembling.

IT IS BEST TO USE A C-CLAMP FOR THE ABOVE STEP. YOU CAN USE THE TOOLS THE GUY IN THE PHOTO DOES, BUT I WOULDNT RECCOMEND IT.

8. Slide out the old brake pads along with any anti-squeal shims, springs, pad wear indicators and pad support plates. Make sure to note the position of all assorted pad hardware.

To install:

1. Check the brake disc (rotor) for thickness and run-out. Inspect the caliper and piston assembly for breaks, cracks, fluid seepage or other damage. Overhaul or replace as necessary.

2. Install the pad support plates into the torque plate.

3. Install the pad wear indicators onto the pads. Be sure the arrow on the indicator plate is pointing in the direction of rotation.

4. Install the anti-squeal shims on the outside of each pad and then install the pad assemblies into the torque plate. Anti Squeal lube for disc brakes is reccomended at this point.

5. Position the caliper back down over the pads. If it won't fit, use a C-clamp or hammer handle and carefully force the piston into its bore.

6. On front pads, install and tighten the caliper mounting bolts to 29 ft. lbs.

7. Top off brake fluid

Enjoy :D :cheers:

Can someone sticky this in the maintenance section? The write up is for an ES/Camry, but the same basic rules apply to all models of cars. If you can do the brakes on an ES300, you can do them on a camaro, or a subaru.

Can someone sticky this in the maintenance section? The write up is for an ES/Camry, but the same basic rules apply to all models of cars. If you can do the brakes on an ES300, you can do them on a camaro, or a subaru.

Good job Josh! I will need these instruction when I do your brakes next time :cheers:

JP IMPORTZ

Good job Josh! I will need these instruction when I do your brakes next time :cheers:

JP IMPORTZ

haha, jason, i do my own brakes heh. but thanks. :D

Josh, very nice write up.

I will move it to the tutorial section after it has been here for a while so that ES owners can peruse it. (that is editorial talk for pick it apart.) Once edited then we can move it to tutorial section.

two things are missing from your write up:

1. use of "brake stop" or anit-squeal grease is not mentioned. (not required but helps)

2. you should edit the last steps to include refilling the brake fluid reservoir to the proper level since some fluid was syphoned out.

steviej

PS, on a side note, the mechanic in the picture needs a set of nail clippers and a write up on how to use them.

fixed!

oh and i need to add that the Instructions and photos came partly from Autozone.com. i will link if nessecary.

just wanted that to be said so we arent infringing on any copyrights.

I will have to check my nails lol

JPI

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys, new member here looking for some help in changing my sister's Lexus. I'm a pretty ok amateur mechanic, have some experience in other work. I have a few questions about changing the brake pads though since I've never done it. This is on a 2000 Lexus ES300.

1. What is the part number to the OEM brake pads? Since I know Toyota and Lexus interchange parts since they are the same company, I was wondering if the brake pads are the same as Toyota brake pads. I don't want to walk into a Lexus dealership and get overcharged for the same product as something I could have gotten cheaper at a Toyota dealership.

2. In the directions, it says I have to siphon some brake fluid out of the reservoir. How much of it do I have to take out? Is this step mandatory? Can I not just take out the bolts holding onto the caliper and take the caliper off the rotors and take the pads out?

Thanks for all the help.

2. In the directions, it says I have to siphon some brake fluid out of the reservoir. How much of it do I have to take out? Is this step mandatory? Can I not just take out the bolts holding onto the caliper and take the caliper off the rotors and take the pads out?

Use a turkey baster to remove the brake fluid. Remove enough fluid so that the reservoir is about ½ full. This step is not necessary, but certainly advised, because when you push the pistons back in to accomodate the new pads, the fluid in the reservoir will overflow and make a mess in your engine compartment. :)