98' Lexus Es300 Stalling

melhadri

Oh okay then please disregard my last few statements. Hmm... I really don't know what could be causing it, but obviously the exhaust gases are really hot. I noticed in your previous post the dealer removed your EGR valve and all the stalling issues disappeared. I understand that you had the EGR cleaned recently, but maybe it wasn't enough? Has the check engine light showed up yet?

I agree with the EGR explanation. At this point, there are no codes however a couple of wks ago I retrieved two codes:

1. EGR Flow Excessive

2. Manfact. Auxiliary Emissions Control

The red glowing color is really worring me. The next time my car stalls I am thinking of running the car directly to a dealer fo diagnosis? I am also looking into extended warranties?

What do you guys think?

A bad egr not matter what conditoin will cause the exhuast to be red.

Your o2 will malfuntion under extreme heat.

Too run that red you need to be running extremly lean, not enough fuel to air in the ratio.

Too bad you didn;t look at the rear exhaust pipes to see if they were red also it would clarify a few things.

Glad you mentinoed the hood trunk thing as i was confused as !Removed!

I took a look at the rear exhaust and didnt notice anything visually unusual. However, while stalling it sounds like a person is pushing the gas pedal and then releasing the gas pedal. push release push release...etc. (zoomm.......zooom.......zoooom)

The next time it stalls I am going to zoom my way to Lexus or Toyota. Hopefully it stalls during business hrs.

Any other suggestions? This stalling is causing me monetary nightmares.

If this is the case, would I have to replace the fuel injector system or can a motorvac machine take care of the issue?

Melhadri, I had the same problem on my 92. My service peeps did what is called a "induction kit" and also cleaned the IACV valve and not only did it fix the problem, my car runs smoother than it did with 25k miles on it. I can hardly hear the engine, seriously. By the way, it now has 85k and the service cost me $120.

SnesleyWipes, did your vehicle suffer from a lava red exhaust manifold?

I am going to take my car to toyota/lexus for diagnostics while its stalling. Hopefully, I didnt fry any components. Today, I drove the car for 30 minutes and took a look at the manifold...No red coloring. I am optimistic that it only turns red during stalling. I will follow up with diagnostic feedback.

Also, located a shop with a motorvac machine in Bloomington, In....Motorvac, here I come.

Too add, my car currently runs smooth and quiet. However, its beginning to have a rough idle again. It just keeps on coming back.

Thank you all for the help.

SnesleyWipes, did your vehicle suffer from a lava red exhaust manifold?

I am going to take my car to toyota/lexus for diagnostics while its stalling. Hopefully, I didnt fry any components. Today, I drove the car for 30 minutes and took a look at the manifold...No red coloring. I am optimistic that it only turns red during stalling. I will follow up with diagnostic feedback.

Also, located a shop with a motorvac machine in Bloomington, In....Motorvac, here I come. 

Too add, my car currently runs smooth and quiet. However, its beginning to have a rough idle again. It just keeps on coming back.

Thank you all for the help.

Not quite sure about the lava red manifold. I never really looked. My car just stalled alot after high speeds when I came to a stop, rough idle, and sometimes rough start. I cleaned the throttle body my self but that did nothing. After my guys did the induction kit and IACV clean, smoooooth as silk baby! They also said they never laughed so hard either because after the induction, they drove it out on the highway and their was soo much smoke pouring out of the exhaust system, people had to move and literally stop due to vision impairment, lol.

My car finally stalled this morning and I took it to the Lexus Dealer.

Let me first mention: They are very respectable and nice people however I think I hurt their feelings when I showed them some of the comments from this post. I wanted to provide them with the symtoms I had been experiencing and out of respect, I was not hammering at them but either way they took it badly. They felt as if I had absolutely 0% confidence in their services.

On the other hand, they took a look at my car for about an hr. and concluded that I will need to replace the EGR Valve ($400) and possibly the Catalytic Converter. The converter area was too hot for them to take a look at.

I am going to schedule an appt for this problem next week. Considering that this may cost me as low as $400 and as much as $900 b/c of the cata. converter, would anyone suggest purchasing an extended warranty? Do warranties cover these components?

My car finally stalled this morning and I took it to the Lexus Dealer.

Let me first mention: They are very respectable and nice people however I think I hurt their feelings when I showed them some of the comments from this post.  I wanted to provide them with the symtoms I had been experiencing and out of respect, I was not hammering at them but either way they took it badly.  They felt as if I had absolutely 0% confidence in their services. 

On the other hand, they took a look at my car for about an hr. and concluded that I will need to replace the EGR Valve ($400) and possibly the Catalytic Converter.  The converter area was too hot for them to take a look at.

Aww..poor Lexus dealer.. haha :D . If anything you were being thorough and demonstrating that you're not some person who's ignorant of the problem. :) Glad to hear that the dealer didn't give you any problems. Keep us posted on what happens.

Toyota Dealership replaced my EGR valve. ($320) Lexus never returned 2 of my voicemails to schedule an appt. Hopefully the stalling and rough idleing doesn't welcome itself back. I am probably going to get a Motorvac Carbon service within the next couple months.

Dealer also recommended that I replace my spark plugs b/c the original factory plugs were still in use. :o I am going to have them replaced during my 90k mile service.

I wouldnt; be suprised if you egr was dirty with the rest of the intake manifold area.

But i don;t see how it could cause stalling ,if stuck open you would get a rough idle when cold but great mlage.Stuck closed would give you bad milage but great performance .

Still doesn't explain the red manifold.

I wouldn;t have any faith in the Lexus dealer either.

As a very hot cat indicates it is working, a red hot one would be it is running rich and gas is being poured into it to burn off.

You still have factory plugs?

That is a problem but not related to the stalling.

Hopefully it is a plugged injector and the motorvac flushes it out.

I will look deeper into the exhaust system for any other flaws. The car is performing and idling well. I will have the spark plugs changed during the second wk of March. The dealer inspected the plugs and said that they weren't in terrible condition however its recommened to have them changed at 60k miles.

Toyota also wanted to change my PCV valve. Is this necessary, when is it recommended to be replaced?

Change the pcv valve yourself it is only $10 and no tools just plug and play .

Look at the back of the engien under the throttle body for a black pipe going to the valve cover.

Swap it out and yoru done.

I don;t think you have any flaw with your exhaust .

It was treated to a flame and turned red hot ,it doesn;t cause the heat .

Here is the simplest break down i can give you.

The egr takes exhuast gases from the rear exhaust manifold and recuirculates it back into the intake system to burn off excess unburnt gas. This is controlled by driver load and the o2 sensors , which opens the egr when it senses a rich mix and closes when it is lean such as cruising.

The egr does not make changes itself to the afr but just helps reduce emissions out the tailpipe.