Dash Rattles

I need to remove the dash cover so that I can try to eliminate a very annoying rattle on the passenger side near the defroster. How difficult is it to remove the dash cover? Does anyone have a service manual with a description of the procedure? Thanks. BTW, the local dealer wants $900 to remove the dash and attempt to fix the rattle even though the car is still under warranty.

If you remove the dash, be prepared for more noise. There is a very good likelyhood, although not as common in Toyota/Lexusville as in other makes, that there will be more than one rattle when you put it back in.

This is not an easy job. The work is not difficult, but there are many parts and screws and a particular order to doing it.

Furthermore, if your car is still under warranty, and you have successfully demonstrated to the dealer that there is a noise, it should be covered. You might try calling the lexus head office for assistance with your uncooperative dealer. The number is in your owner's manual.

It is also a common fault. I've seen lots of reports of this noise and both my GSs did/do it. Worse in cold weather. I've tried packing out the air vent with cardboard which solved the problem for a bit but now it's back. Hopefully I will have some time over the next week to have a good look at it.

Stripping out the dashboard really is a big job though.

I have an easy solution (it works well for me). Tongue in cheek. Make sure the stereo is turned up loud enough so it drowns out the rattles. My 99 GS3 has three distinct rattle in the dash. one under the car and one in the sunroof. It is especially bad when it's cold out, but when the car warms up, it is tolerable. I doubt these cars have any more rattles than any other, it's simply that the sound is amplified due to the quitness of the cabin. I also have a fast easy fix for the check engine light, once you have determined that it is not a problem that is detrimental to the performance of the car. One small square piece of black electrical tape placed carefully over the idiot dash-light eliminates it's annoying glow and is never noticed unless one knows to look for it. If someone can tell me how to take off the dash, I'd love to just get in there and pop the bulb!

You'll be happy to know there is no need to remove the dash to remove the check engine light. Personally, I will never apply tape to cover any part of any car I own.

To remove said lamp, pull off the trim piece in front of the speedo, unscrew the speedo, remove the lamp. Cake!

Why don't you just fix the problem to get the light to go away?

I'd love to fix the problem but the problems is this. The charcoal canister is bad and Lexus wants over $700 to replace it, Toyota $600. The replacement requires pulling the axle -something which I don't know how to do. The part is $500. What does the charcoal canister do? It recycles the extra fumes from the gas tank. The dealer explained to me that by not replacing the canister, the only damage I am doing to anything is letting some fuel fumes escape into the air. I can't justify $700 for this fix, personally, but then again, I am tight with the bread. At any rate -the tiny piece of tape is unoticable, except in a certain light. I'd feel worse about the $700 hit than the piece of tape. At any rate -it keeps me humble (wink)!

Fuel saturated charcoal canister may cause rich driveability problems. The code thrown for the EVAP system might be as simple as a bad or loose gas cap.

Already replaced the gas cap on the first dealer visit. The car runs perfectly and the Lexus dealer wasn't concerned about "rich driveability problems" but I'll keep an eye out for any performance issues. Gas mileage is 20 in town and 27 on the highway at 90 mph (hi flow air filter and 32 psi probably contribute to this). At this point I don't want any mechanics touching anything for fear of messing something up. The car runs like a champ. Thanks for you advice though. I may have to tackle the canister someday. Maybe I'll hit it when I throw in new plugs and a serpintine belt at around 100k. That is, if I don't swap for a GS4 or maybe the new style IS300 by then. I bought this car wholesale to resale for a profit but I can't bear to part with it. I'm a Lexus man now!

I need to find a solution for the dash rattles so that when I trade the car it won't hurt the trade-in value. I wonder if a body shop would be able to resolve the problems without charging me a fortune to do it. What do you think?

• 2 years later...

It is also a common fault. I've seen lots of reports of this noise and both my GSs did/do it. Worse in cold weather. I've tried packing out the air vent with cardboard which solved the problem for a bit but now it's back. Hopefully I will have some time over the next week to have a good look at it.

Stripping out the dashboard really is a big job though.

Can you elaborate on packing the vent with cardboard? I have a squeak/rattle coming from the pass side dash - if I press down on the dash pad to the right of the airbag there is a squeak as it flexes. It changes a little as I fool with the pass side air vent. Can anyone tell me how to remove the vent from the dash to look inside?

Thanks.