Clean Mass Air Flow Sensor Appearance

OCNLVR

I have been reading the forum for a while now and decided to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) myself. Removal was very easy, MAF is located on top of air intake valve behind the air filter housing. It looks like a small square with 2 screws on the top of air intake with 5 wires attached to one end. Just remove the screw and pry open the wire plug and MAF is isolated.

The tip of sensor itself looks like a rain drop I guess. It was covered with dirt, which was cleaned easily with alcohol and a Q-tip. After a while, I don't see any dirt on the Q-tip but the sensor still in the color of dark brown. Is this the right color? Or MAF sensor should have the color of silver metal?

Thanks for the help for those who had done it before.

Yep, this is a great little tutorial complete with photographs. Anyone who can read and operate a screwdriver should be able to follow these instructions. Keep those Mass Air Flow Sensors clean out there....

• 2 years later...

the CEL light came on along with the VSC and Trac off lights. this morning i removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it. replaced it, drove a bit and the CEL came on again. i decided to take it to the dealer since its still under warranty. the moment the i started the car to show it to the dealer, the CEL is gone. i dont know if im gona be happy or *BLEEP*ed. but i hope it does not come back. do you think the cleaning did it?

mine is a 2004 RX330

ok check engine light came on again. i already cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner but still the same. cel comes on and error code is P0171 and P0174.

i checked the air filter and its super dirty. could this have something to do with it?

Sounds like you were just cleaning the air temp. sensor that is built into the MAF sensor. The part of the MAF sensor that needs cleaning are the two small wires inside the tube

Here is a cleaning procedure:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge...id=152&c=11

You can't clean the MAF using 99% Alcohol like the link suggests - it doesn't work. Use CRC throttle body cleaner in a spray can. Two or three blasts inside will clean the MAF.

All,

I tried to clean the MAF on my 1995 ES 300. Opened up the round piece with MAF mounted on it but didn't really find any screws to get to the two wires mentioned here and in the pictures. Inside the round piece I see all plastic stuff.

Can anybody refer me to an ES300 specific picture please.

Many thanks in advance.

AJ

Sounds like you were just cleaning the air temp. sensor that is built into the MAF sensor. The part of the MAF sensor that needs cleaning are the two small wires inside the tube

You can't clean the MAF using 99% Alcohol like the link suggests - it doesn't work. Use CRC throttle body cleaner in a spray can. Two or three blasts inside will clean the MAF.

• 1 year later...

This cleaning solved my problem. I used Chemtronics Electro Wash, a Non-CFC cleaner that dries immediately.

• 1 year later...

when you are cleaning the maf, PLEASE dont wipe it with anything. You run a high risk of damaging it with wiping the surface with cotton or anything. Just use maf cleaner in a spray can from your local auto store and spray the sensor for a few seconds and let dry, thats it. dont touch it as u'll damage it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, Colin:

Thanks for the detailed instruction of how to clean the MAF sensor in my lexus RX300 year 2000. It was easy. I did not touch the sensor. I just use a computer high pressure spray for cleaning dust and lint to clean the MAF. But the Engine light is still on. I look inside the tube. IT was clean except that they don't look shiny as you said.

Since the engine light sensor is still on, I need to go to the lexus dealersheep to do it. If you can email me some reference to a good machanics. I am so grateful for taking time to response to my email and to show me a solution to my preblem

• 3 months later...

I ran across a video made by this guy...it includes;

1.) How to change your rear taillights and stop lights

2.) How to clean your Mass Airflow sensor

3.) How to change your rear hatchback stays/lifts

4.) How to change your marker lights

5.) How to change your back-up and break lights on the rear hatchback door

6.) How to change your license plate light

7.) How to change your dome lights

8.) How to change your air filter

9.) How to change your cabin air filter

10.) How to change your third break light

On a 2001 Lexus RX 300. I bought the video and it was well worth the $50 charged. I bought it to change my rear hatchback stays, the dealer wanted $570. After buying the video I did it for $50.75 plus the $50 for the video, so my total cost was $100.75. That alone saved me $469.25. Plus it saved me hundreds on changing my own lights. You got to get this video! it's really good. You can e-mail him at jyshark@nycap.rr.com

Also I bought the Haynes Repair Manual and this stuff isn't in their, plus it works on 1996 thru 2006 Toyota Highland; Lexus RX 300 and Lexus RX 330! Best Buy I've ever made. I used to be at the Lexus dealers mercy, but with this video I can tell those guys to go F**K themselves. I hope he comes out with a sequel to this video.

• 3 months later...

Actually, you WOULDN'T use throttle body spray, but a product more specific, made by CRC called MAF Cleaner. Here is the link:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=crc+mass+air+flow+cleaner&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16599276143063779391&sa=X&ei=gKe6Tb6sGM65tgf39vzMBQ&ved=0CBYQ8wIwAA#

• 1 year later...

Problem: Low then zero rpm idle. Slight temporary increase of rpm right after braking (without tuoching the accelerator pedal).

Solution: Just cleaned 2002 ES300 MAF sensor with isopropyl alcohol and a fine ponyhair brush. Still won't idle.

Then went on spraying the alcohol into IACV and throttle body, and wiped off clean of carbon residue. Also changed air filter. Disconnected the battery in order to reset ECU. Went on a 30-mile drive. Success, normal idle and better milage restored.

Cost: $ 4.50 (alcohol + old perfume dipenser + brush + clean rug) and 3 hours (due to inexperience) .

Please see images of dirty and clean MAF sensor. If you have idle problems, I advise to begin with the economic way of problem solving by celaning MAF sensor, throttle body and IACV.

I'm in Europe and could not find MAF sensor cleaner spray here, that"s why I used isopropyl alcohol and a refillable perfume sprayer.

2002 Lexus ES300 dirty MAF Sensor

post-85539-0-77523600-1363007201_thumb.j post-85539-0-39179100-1363007187_thumb.j

2002 Lexus ES300 clean MAF Sensor

post-85539-0-44419600-1363007219_thumb.j post-85539-0-18473600-1363007243_thumb.j

• 2 years later...

When will I learn to look on the LS430 forums before doing "anything" to my wonderful car. I likewise cleaned my MAS this past week with the CRC Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner. As I have a K&N air filter installed, upon seeing the amber air temperature sensor atop the two MAS wires I thought what I was seeing was a globule of oil from the K&N filter, Oh NO!.

Thanks heavens for Google as I quickly found a picture of a Lexus MAS showing that the amber air temperature sensor was part ot the mechanism. Likewise I now see its picture here on the forums.

If you are cleaning your MAS you must be interested in MPG so you might enjoy my posts on MPG. I was getting 29.8 MPG Highway at 70 MPH on my 2005 LS430 BEFORE I cleaned the MAS which I must admit did not appear dirty in the least.