Speedometer Needle on SC300/400

ronm

Has anyone had problems with their luminescent speedometer needle on their 1993 SC300/400 displays? Mine does not light completely and fluctuates across it's length. The dealer says that I would have to replace the whole display since the needle is not individually replaceable. No way that I'm going to spend that much on an annoying but tolerable problem.

:(

Yes, we all have this trouble. You can try dimming the intensity on your display. But I suspect the damage is done. There are some creative solutions that have been tried but I might recommend searching for a used display or maybe you can find a needle somewhere. I'll check up on this myself as my tach needle is fading too. It is not #1 on my things to do list though.

Supra brakes soon. Will post pics.

Yes, we all have this trouble.  You can try dimming the intensity on your display.  But I suspect the damage is done.  There are some creative solutions that have been tried but I might recommend searching for a used display or maybe you can find a needle somewhere.  I'll check up on this myself as my tach needle is fading too.  It is not #1 on my things to do list though.  

Supra brakes soon.  Will post pics.

Thanks for the reply. I should have known that there are other Lexus owners out there using the web for info. I previously had a Supra and belonged to SOGI. Lots of useful information. I've found the archives and will review for any suggestions on the display.

Regards,

RonM

Actually I've never experienced any of the common SCx00 problems: power steering pump leakage, dead needles, loose door hinge, climate control display failure, or headlight condensation. I guess I've just been lucky so far. Even though these are the most common problems with the Soarer, it only probably occurs 1 out of 20 times or less, and you most likely will not suffer more than one of these failures.

• 5 weeks later...
it only probably occurs 1 out of 20 times or less, and you most likely will not suffer more than one of these failures.

I think you are dreaming. I have both a LS400 and a SC400. I have had ALL the common problems on both of them. I think your 1/20 estimate is wishful thinking.

As you might suspect, I am not as impressed with Lexus' claimed "relentless pursuit of perfection" as most.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not as impressed with Lexus

Tisk, tisk. While there are some minor and rather trivial issues that pop up on older, higher mileage lexus models; they run strong and have minimal major issues. They are still very reliable. I would take an equivalent mileage/condition lexus before just about any other used vehicle.

At 104,663 miles this baby has not missed a lick, aside from a dirty starter soleneid, and the trivial speedo light, panel wear that comes with an vehicle that has been used.

attachment.php?s=&postid=356520

I am not as impressed with Lexus

Tisk, tisk. While there are some minor and rather trivial issues that pop up ...

I don't consider repairs that cost $600 and up "minor and trivial" while trying to keep 2 of these cruisers a float. Are working stiffs allowed on this forum?

Are working stiffs allowed on this forum?

I'm sorry?

Much of that cost can be reduced significantly. The overall functionality of the car is not affected by a reduced illuminescent needle, or such other items. The car still drives excellent. With a little creativity, you can repair these items at fraction of the cost. Finding deals by looking hard for oem components or creating your own custom fix. Feel free to post ??or contact me and I'll do my best to assist.

The starter problem I had cost me all of 15$.

• 1 month later...

To All:

I would like to get some cheap prices for a replacement Gauge Cluster. I'm planning to get a 92 300 5sp, and would appreciate any feedback on where to get a deal from. Junk Yards are not my specialty, since it's kind of hard for me to find a close to wrecked SC300 near me. Does anyone know why the SC's headlights leak, and get discoloured?

Thanks

I am new to the world of Lexus and I have formed an opinion that my SC300 is a wonderful "driving machine" but I do get pee'd off at the common failures. I too think they are quite common in fact. I think Lexus told its engineers to use a clean sheet of paper and they used some "cool" electrical things that were (obviously) not proven.

I would not pay much for a salvage yard gauge set. After all, it's as likely as yours to be messed up.

For discounted new parts, try www.irontoad.com

I have used them for a few parts already and their prices are quite good and the service is excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've logged on to this web site. Since my last note, Ive picked up a LS400 to go with my SC300. The needle problem on my SC is not as pronounced as before since I've turned down the intensity. I've found lots of useful information at clublexus.com. Are the white needles on the LS proned to similar problems as the red needles on the SC?

• 1 month later...

i have been checking into the Davenport Motor Co. in plano. i have seen the working cluster in person. i was going to snap some pics, but i guess they already posted some on there. the pricing i had heard was $600... that included the needles AND labor. so i think it's still going to be about that price after labor is added to the $450. the cluster is very bright. jimmy from davenport had said justin was still working out a few bugs with the cluster (an ES one used) and the cold cathode's. it should be done soon. i had posted an update on this item on CL. i will be working on a group buy on this from Justin himself. i'm hoping that he can drop the price a bit, if we get enough people into it. i'm almost positive we can put together lots of people from here, and the CL board to get new needles. it's not a neccessity, but it sure would help to know how fast i'm going.

just an update for you LOC people. :)

• 3 weeks later...
it only probably occurs 1 out of 20 times or less, and you most likely will not suffer more than one of these failures.

I think you are dreaming. I have both a LS400 and a SC400. I have had ALL the common problems on both of them. I think your 1/20 estimate is wishful thinking.

As you might suspect, I am not as impressed with Lexus' claimed "relentless pursuit of perfection" as most.

75,000 miles now, still not one problem to date! :P

• 6 months later...

Someone, somewhere mentioned that if you turn down the brightness on your display, it can reduce any flickering in your needles. I did just that, my speddo needle has a dull spot, and eureka!!! :magic: I now have steady light on my needle, the only drwback is when you turn your lights on, your gauges go black, so turn them up a little.

:cheers:

"Junk Yards are not my specialty, since it's kind of hard for me to find a close to wrecked SC300 near me"

you should call brandywine. its near dc. i live in annappolis and take 50/301 towards dc and when 301 south splits off i follow it and its hard to miss this place. they have almost anything you might need. the number is 301-627-4265. good luck. ;)